RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:40:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July Retro Community Playthrough - Chrono Trigger 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: July Retro Community Playthrough - Chrono Trigger  (Read 36006 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »

That's right! We're going to play the game created by the RPG Dream Team.

Chrono Trigger needs no introduction. We all know the game. We all love it. Let's have some fun jumping through time saving the world in July!

Platforms
SNES
Nintendo DS
PSX (via Final Fantasy Chronicles)
Wii Virtual Console
Apple App Store
Google Play Store

Checkpoints
Week 1: Repair Robo and save at the next save point.
Week 2: Defeat Magus and find the next save point.
Week 3: Deafeat Giga Gaia and save your game.
Week 4: The final battle.

Participants
Boshamp
Crabmaster2000 (?)
Disposed Hero
douglie007
EngineerMike
ericeskape
Fleach
h1ghw1nd
NeoMagicWarrior
Raidou
RetroRage
russlyman
Techie413
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:17:15 AM by Fleach » Logged

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »

[img width=56 height=86]http://www.freewebs.com/chronotrigger/cronoani.gif[/img]

maybe??

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:10:17 PM »

Hopefully!

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:54:55 PM »

not applicable to retro but this video was the first thing that Fleach's post reminded me of Cheesy

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »

Oh yeah, definitely in for this.  I've said it a couple of times already, but it's my favorite game of all time.  It never gets old to me.

Now I just have to decide which platform I want to play it on....

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:27:52 AM »

After reacquiring my original copy last fall, that I had purchased at release in '95, I have been looking for an excuse to replay this one. Sign me up.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:31:53 AM »

Yeah! Nice to have you on Mike!

Oh man, buying such a game at launch must have been so cool. Sometimes I wish I was born just a bit earlier so I could have played these great games when they were new. My first experience with Chrono Trigger was in 2002 playing on the E-word at a friend's house.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:38:56 AM »

I remember buying it at a local electronics store in the fall of '95. Like a lot of other games at the time, it retailed for $120 CA. It didn't take long before I realized the price was worth it.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »

I cut my teeth on SNES RPG's and have been playing them pretty much since I could read.  I was fortunate enough to have played Chrono Trigger close to its release.  I rented it, then later received it as a gift for my 8th or 9th birthday.  I really wish I still had my original copy from way back then (CIB no less), but of course I sold it off with the rest of my 16-bit games once the 32-bit generation was in full swing.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 09:14:25 AM »

Suggestion - don't play it on PSX. The load times are horrible. While it does have the Extras Mode (exclusive to PSX), it's not worth it IMO.

Nintendo DS and later versions (iOS, Apple) have new sidequests, a couple new areas, and a new boss. The names of a lot of enemies and items were also updated. NDS version played well for me when I picked it up, and the first printing came with a nifty poster.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:29:54 AM »

Are the load times that terrible?

I was hoping to play the Playstation version for the anime cut scenes, but I guess I'll have to play the DS one instead.

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »

I did finally pick a copy of the ds version. I still have my orginal copy from snes in box as well, but wanted to see if there were any differences on the ds version. I would love to play this again

Now your playing with power!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »

If I can finish up Fire Emblem quick enough I'm definitely gonna tag along for this one. Even though I own a few different ways to play this I always have to go purist for Chrono Trigger and play the SNES version. I just can't bring myself to even try the other ones.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »

I did finally pick a copy of the ds version. I still have my orginal copy from snes in box as well, but wanted to see if there were any differences on the ds version. I would love to play this again

The DS version has some pretty lackluster side content that was added (just a random cave where you pick up monotonous side quests from NPCs if I remember correctly).  I believe it also has the cutscenes that were introduced in the PSX version.

If I can finish up Fire Emblem quick enough I'm definitely gonna tag along for this one. Even though I own a few different ways to play this I always have to go purist for Chrono Trigger and play the SNES version. I just can't bring myself to even try the other ones.

Even though I have played the DS version before and it is a well done port, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go purist as well and play the SNES version.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »

I played it just a little over a year ago, so not joining in the actual playthrough. I'll discuss though and hit some videos to refresh a bit and make sure I don't spew any spoilers.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length