RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:08:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Club Nintendo 2014 Platinum/Gold Prizes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Club Nintendo 2014 Platinum/Gold Prizes  (Read 12014 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« on: July 24, 2014, 03:43:47 AM »

Well, I logged in to my club Nintendo account to register my some software and got a pop up that the club prizes were announced...to my dismay, every prize (Both Platinum and Gold), was for a downloadable game of some type, no PHYSICAL collectables. I was wondering which would be the most worthwhile, considering every gift is available either on disc/cart or to download in the e-shops. Gifts are only available until August 15th. After that, they expire.

The 8 Gold prizes are all GB or NES titles that are all staples of a collection:

Donkey Kong 3 (NES) Download on 3DS
Ice Climber (NES) Download on Wii U
Kid Icarus (NES) Download on Wii U
Metroid (NES) Download on 3DS
Super Mario Bros. (NES) Download on Wii U
Super Mario Land 2 (GB) Download on 3DS
Wario Land II (GBC) Download on 3DS
Zelda II: the Adventure of Link (NES) Download on Wii U

The 8 Platinum prizes are a little more interesting:

Dillon's Rolling Western (3DS: Download only, available for purchase within 3DS Shop)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS: Available as 3DS Cart and Downloadable within 3DS Shop)
Dr. Luigi (Wii U: Download only, available for purchase within Wii U Shop)
Earthbound (Wii U: Available as Cart on SNES, and for purchase within Wii U Shop)
Fluidity: Spin Cycle (3DS: Download only, available for purchase within 3DS Shop)
Game & Wario (Wii U: Available as Wii U Optical Disc and Downloadable within Wii U Shop)
Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (3DS: Download only, available for purchase within 3DS Shop)
NES REMIX (Wii U: Download only, available for purchase within Wii U Shop)

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:36:03 AM »

That's disappointing. Being a member and supporter of the anti-download contingent up here in north-western canada, I was really hoping they would release a Luigi hat like the Mario one they had in '09

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:17:22 AM »

So, Crabby's recruiting now, eh?

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:14:58 AM »

I'm holding down the download hate here in the South just to make sure we have this region covered Mike. Smiley

Honestly, this is just a means for Nintendo to save money and not have to pay shipping. Are these prizes unattainable unless you have Club points, or can you download them regardless. Just curious, since the Club Nintendo prizes were special due to their attainability. Now it just seems that they've gone the easy route of not caring. Crappy that so many people bought game after game in anticipation of getting a special prize and now......they get a download......I'm a Nintendo guy and I can't even defend them for this.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:18:33 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »

You can normally download these. I'm guess with enough Club Nintendo points you can pick a game and download it for free.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »

I was originally disappointed that I had forgotten to input my big stack of Club Nintendo codes until Duke pointed out what the prizes were to me. Now I'm glad I didn't take the time to do all those survey's or I'd be pissed. I own every last one of those games that has a physical release.

When Duke first said that the prizes were downloadable I assumed they were unique items to Club Nintendo participants like when they did the Doc fight on Punch Out. This is just a slap in the face to everyone who has supported it.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Godd*mmit, I wanted a 2015 desk calendar!

WHAT IS THIS COMBO-BREAKER BULLSH*T?!

I'm also a bit bummed for ending up just short of Platinum status for a second year in a row...

UPDATE: Edited several O's out of my "noooo"so you don't have to scroll left-to-right to read this thread. Sorry 'bout that by the way.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:27:45 AM by Zagnorch » Logged
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »

I was extremely disappointed by Nintendo's reward offerings this year.  It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't already bought NES Remix (NES Remix 1 & 2 are the only digital Nintendo titles I have ever purchased).  I'd prefer to have physical copies of the games that have them, and I wasn't really interested in any of the other digital offerings, but I ended up getting the Mario and Donkey Kong Minis game.

The offerings from last year weren't that great either, but at least we were able to get something tangible out of that one (I got the Majora's Mask soundtrack).  This year just feels like an afterthought.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »

I am glad I am not the only one disgusted by the circumstances.

For me, It boils down to cost/value. First, Remove all 3DS stuff. I do not own one yet, just got lucky enough to get a Wii U in time for this.

8 Left...Now, take away everything I can get that exists physically...4 NES carts, 1 SNES cart, and 1 Wii U title...

2 Left...Do I go with Dr. Luigi? Or NES Remix? The NES remix interested me because it is built like the NES Championship cart used in competition, but from my research it DOES exist as a release on disc as a compilation in Japan as NES REMIX 1 and 2. Both of these are 15 bucks normally and I doubt wither will ever drop.

I am left with a couple questions...Is NES Remix for the Wii U in Japan playable on a North American Wii U console? and...Which of these two so you think holds more content for the value?

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »

I didn't know that NES Remix was released on disc in Japan.  I'm pretty sure the Wii U is region locked though, so it probably wouldn't be possible to play a Japanese release on a North American console without some sort of hacking/modding.

calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »

I hate downloads. I know that sounds old of me but I only buy physical copies even if I have to wait longer to get it (Exp: Walking Dead Season 2). With a physical copy, I own it and unless it gets physically damaged or taken, I can play it whenever. I don't feel as confident in downloads. I consider myself a collector and when the opportunity arises to get something rare I jump on that chance. I always felt that the items I got from being a platinum member were unique and in turn satisfied the collector in me. Not so this year if just anybody can get what's available. To be fair I would have also been happy with newer DL titles that I can't currently afford physical copies of (Tomodachi Life, Kirby etc) but I felt that they gave away the oldest and cheapest DL possible.   
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »

This was most likely the result of Nintendo cutting costs, but wouldn't be funny if they forgot to make Club Nintendo Rewards this year and this was a last minute rushed decision? Wink

I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time that so many people here are against digital releases. Crabby, your sphere of influence is larger than you think.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »

It isn't just Crabby...I have been against them since Day 1. IMHO, If I con't hold it, it doesn't count. Not to say there aren't any good digital only games...I would just always want the physical copy over a digital.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 04:46:40 PM »

It's the first time I didn't hit gold or platinum in a few years. Not sorry that I didn't. Pretty lousy.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 05:01:46 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

UPDATE: Edited several O's out of my "noooo"so you don't have to scroll left-to-right to read this thread. Sorry 'bout that by the way.

I chuckled.

Also
Shame on Nintendo.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length