RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:03:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Garage Sale Season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Garage Sale Season  (Read 1224 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »

Last weekend and this I decided to finally get out and scour the local garage sales after not really doing that for a few years. Apparently living in a town full of senior citizens is bad for garage sales, at least in terms of video games. 11 sales over 2 weekends, some of them multi-family, and not a single video game at any of them...well, unless you count the old PC barbie games at the last sale i went to.

Anyone else having better luck than me?
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »

Have my Saturday mornings free again next week. There's never a shortage of garage sales in my neck of the woods on any given weekend. Which is good, 'cuz the thrifts haven't yielded much lately.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »

my thrifts have little to nothing, and my garage sales are duds...but i do have 4 dedicated used game stores with lots of retro selection, but all of them price off of pricecharting and ebay so there's never any amazing deals. craigslist and usedvictoria sometimes yield good stuff but again mostly ebay prices.
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 01:02:49 PM »

The thing with garage sales is that you just have to keep at it.  In the past I've gone 5-6 weeks in a row without finding anything, but then I'll hit it big.

That being said, I really haven't had time to go out to garage sales yet this year.  Having two young daughters makes going anywhere on a Saturday hard.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »

I found one larger sale locally over the past three weeks or so, had some junk Wii titles and some N64 titles, but none were great enough to buy for the asking price of $10 each...

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »

With literally dozens of yard sales within a five-mile radius each week, I'm sure to find some vidya stuff.

Of course, the trick is to be at the sales that actually have vidya stuff as soon as they open, 'cuz that stuff will go almost as quickly as it hits the table on the driveway. Some times I'll I'll find one sale that starts at 7, another at 8, and another at 9, and hit whatever yard sales there are between those three. Often I won't even bother to hit the 9 o'clocker 'cuz I found a ton of other stuff at the ones on the way there.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »

Back when I was saling every weekend, I'd hit probably 30-40 sales by noon. Its really just a numbers game, the more sales you go to, the more games you will find. For me, I generally bought 95% of my stuff at 5% of the sales, the rest were junk or maybe a game or two.
And if you go to a sale that doesn't have games, don't think "I might as well look at everything while I'm here" because all the games at the next sale just got sold while you were looking over Longaberger baskets and Hummel figurines. If there's no games, get out of there and get to the next sale.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »

the problem for me is that i don't drive, i was walking/cycling to everything in my town, and those 11 or so that i mentioned seemed to cover all but a few of the sales across town, i was keeping my eye out between sales and didn't see any other signs. the actual city of victoria, which likely does have good sales compared to where i am, is a good hour away by bus, and it's a fairly big city so i would be pretty limited.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length