RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:17:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September Modern Community Playthrough - Ico 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: September Modern Community Playthrough - Ico  (Read 16185 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »

more changes! i'm glad that our Ico recording was delayed then because that just adds to that part of the discussion, i have another change that a friend playing the remake told me about. things like this are why i really prefer playing the earliest form of a game first where possible.

for the camera i had no issue with getting lost, my issue was with platforming. i missed quite a few jumps solely because the camera wouldn't stay where i wanted it too and would jump around when i tried to move it. it was also really annoying trying to find Yorda when she was carried off by the flying shadow monsters at times.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2014, 08:57:19 PM »

The camera might have been worse in Ico, but because I didn't have to move it very often I considered it superior to SotC's camera. I found that in Ico objects or places of interest were always made clear by the camera and I rarely felt lost. This gave me a sense of direction, whereas the camera in SotC excelled at providing a sense of size but fell short in terms of visual cues hinting at the next destination. Maybe this was a design choice.

I think you hit nail on the head, buddy.

So I beat ICO and am now having that special brand of end-game depression, where I want to play something but everything just seems blah.  About ICO, I think I originally wanted to approach playthrough with a fresh mind, hoping to rediscover an old gem.  Alas, while it was fun rediscovering, I apparently have such muscle memory with this game that I didn't have any problems at all.  When I felt a little lost I just tooled around a bit until I remembered what to do.  The one part I had forgotten was the ending, which was more bittersweet than anything because I had convinced myself at some point that this game had the Japanese ending (for the record, I am playing the PS2 copy). Bummer, but that is what Youtube is for.  I now place ICO back on the shelf where it will sit for another decade.

However, I can't wait to get everyone else's impressions.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2014, 10:52:26 PM »

glad to hear you finished it Bomba! i agree that once you've done the puzzles once it really doesn't take much to remember how to do them again, even though the first time can be really difficult.
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »

Thanks to everyone who participated this month! I hope you all enjoyed this very unique PS2 experience.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length