RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:15:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Loose vs CIB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Loose vs CIB  (Read 6929 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »

I don't buy loose games anymore, but it's probably more just because I'm able to afford the boxes now. I don't have a lot of time to play video games, but I can always find time to read through the manual or the back of the box, or the cover art. I am fascinated with the way that they advertised games back then, and some of the manuals reveal a lot about the game that isn't always apparent when playing it or just reading a FAQ about it.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »

@gbpxl

I never really thought of that part of it before.  I do have time to play games, just not all the games that I want to play.  I think I spend more time thinking and writing about games than playing them.  For example, right now I am putting the finishing touches on my latest article, and I have a feeling that I will be start research and first drafts for my next, instead of playing all those juicy games I've been thinking. 

*sigh*

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »

Yeah, one of the best parts about having a CIB game is analyzing the box and manual. There's always strange or interesting tidbits to be discovered. The back of the box gives insight into how games were marketed too.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »

My plan has been CIB for Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, PS, PS2, and carts for NES, SNES, Atari. I wanted a solid collection without spending too much money (cardboard boxes are rare and expensive, plastic cases are not). 

My thought process might have changed last week.

I got a decent deal on Dragon Warrior CIB (maps, inserts, etc) and I figured I would just resell everything but the cart. But after I took everything out and examined everything, I just don't think I can part with it now. It's my first and only NES game CIB, how can I sell?

While I don't have a lot of money, that Dragon Warrior game might have changed the way I buy games. Instead of getting 2 or 3 carts of something I want, I might choose to buy only one, but have it CIB.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »

I might choose to buy only one, but have it CIB.

so it begins.
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 11:50:15 PM »

I'm on the CIB boat as well. It used to not matter too much but as I got older and realized I should treat this not only as a hobby, but as an investment, I need everything to be as complete as possible. I went from some 70+ loose games to now just 5 loose carts. It was really time consuming and costly but I made it happen. I'll spend the extra on CIB unless like you said it's rare/expensive and I can flip it, but that's not common.

Simply put, CIB is a better investment, it displays better and keeps the games in better condition in the long run. As much as they are display pieces, they are also practical!

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »

the only thing that sucks about going for the boxes is that you cant buy as many games. going for CIB with Genesis or any disc based platforms would be easy though

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 03:32:05 AM »

the only thing that sucks about going for the boxes is that you cant buy as many games. going for CIB with Genesis or any disc based platforms would be easy though

ya, that's the one major drawback to it but for myself collecting has gotten to the point where i'm really trying to grab quality over quantity. i don't mind if i only get a few games every month or two, as long as they're something i really want and/or need and it's in good condition.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »

Quality has mostly been my goal all along. For Sega SMS and Genesis, I HAVE to have it complete. Loose Sega carts drive me nuts. For Nintendo, my original goal was to collect loose carts so I could get the games I want more quickly, than if I was going for CIB. I think the difference in my NES collection after a year would have been drastically different at this point if I went CIB only. All that being said, I have started to target specific NES titles CIB, mainly Capcom. At this point, I still am not targeting CIB only and I still have no intention on a complete NES library.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
ferris182
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 01:38:56 AM »

For disc based games and all Sega games, I will only collect games in the original box or case.  I prefer the manual included, but its not a deal breaker.  I will not buy a disc only game.

For all other cartridges, (Atari, NES, SNES, N64 etc) I do actually prefer cart only due to the price. 

NHL 94 for Life!
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »

For disc based games and all Sega games, I will only collect games in the original box or case.  I prefer the manual included, but its not a deal breaker.  I will not buy a disc only game.

For all other cartridges, (Atari, NES, SNES, N64 etc) I do actually prefer cart only due to the price. 

I don't mind buying disc-only games if it's at a retail store. You can get a lot of those games for $1-3, and not just sports games. I usually do that if there's a game I just want to play

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length