RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:08:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December Modern Shmup Suggestions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: December Modern Shmup Suggestions  (Read 6991 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:45:06 AM »

After talking to the other Playthrough guys we've decided to do a modern era shmup collection for December as well. This will be my month to take the lead, but I have a very limited knowledge of these games so I'm turning to everyone here to post some suggestions.

Please keep in mind that the games be reasonably prices (nothing more than $30), have been released during or after 1999, and preferably be physical games (don't want to exclude anyone due to a digitally released game).

Otomedius Excellent will most likely be a game during that month.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:29:48 AM by singlebanana » Logged

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »

Alrighty, I know I'm glossing over some here, but I just did a quick visual check through our collection and wrote down noteworthy titles that fit not only the previous requirements (post '99, less than $30) and added a few more just in case; physical disc (not downloads, though we may switch to that if folks want to) and no retro compilation games that would break the post '99 modern idea.  I also nixed Dreamcast Sad because all of the shmups for it seem to be going for +$30.  Also also I nixed modern fixed-screen twin-sticks like Geometry Wars.  I love 'em, but I think most folks consider them a different genre.  Also Also Wik I nixed imports, all of these were released in Region 1. 

Here's my cursory list:

PS2:
Castle Shikigami 2
Gradius V (man is this an excellent game in my book)
Silpheed: The Lost Planet

GameCube:
Chaos Field
Ikaruga (apparently this is now available sub-30 due to online sellers. huh.)

Xbox:
Xyanide (I really, really like this game.  Can go for pretty cheap too.)

Wii:
Blastworks (the main game is kinda meh, but it has several unlockable shmups that are FANTASTIC.)
Castle Shikigami III
The Monkey King (basically a remake of SMS Cloud Master)
Ocean Commander
Saint
All three games on Ultimate Shooting Collection are post '99. (Karous, Radirgy, and Chaos Field)

PS3:
Under Defeat (this came out in the States as a physical disc and can be found online for under $20.)

360:
Akai Katana (I see this at Game Stop for under $10, fantastic game)
Deathsmiles
Otomedius Excellent (I... didn't have fun with this game's clunky hit boxes, poor pacing, or hide-the-screen-when-people-stop-by content, but if it gets picked, I'll... oh well.)
PopCap Arcade Volume 2 on disc has Heavy Weapon, which is actually far better than it seems; much more fun than another game on here that starts with O and ends in disaster...
Raiden IV (pick me! pick me!)
None of the games in Raiden Fighters Aces are post '99, FYI.
Wartech Senko Ronde

So that should at least get the ball rolling.

Keelah se'lai
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »

dur, and I see you did mention physical only.

Aaaannnddd I was about to humorously post a youtube of Olivia Newton-John's video to 'Physical.'  And then I watched it.  And I cannot unwatch it.  Suddenly Otomedius isn't looking as bad... Tongue

Keelah se'lai
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »

I'll have to look into these games. Thanks Slackur.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »

I think slackur has made some great pics, but here are a few additions that might also work well.

PS2:
R-Type Final

GC:
*slackur named pretty much the only two shooters on the system...so sad*

XBox:
*same*

Wii:
Sin & Punishment Star Successor

What is this PS3 and 360 you speak off??  Tongue

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »

Good list Slackur!

I have Otomedius and Deathsmiles and have been meaning to pick up Akai Katana. I actually got a promo email from Amazon today with it, it's $11.99 there. The vanilla version of Otomedius is $6.25 at the moment.

Is it safe to say you can't go wrong with any Gradius game?

And Rich I have been wanting to play S & P since I picked it up a while back. Also very affordable.

I'm not a big shmup person but I'm getting excited for this for some reason.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »

Is it safe to say you can't go wrong with any Gradius game?

Might be nice to run Gradius III and Gradius (NES) side-by-side one week. Or do a similar thing with R-Types (PS2) and Super R-Type (SNES). I like the Xyanide pick a lot. I've heard great things about this game and it's very reasonable too. Don't look on eBay for a price, since there is only one listed at an insane amount. Amazon has some used copies well under $10. Plus, we haven't played anything on XBox yet......just sayin'

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »

AAHH!  I KNEW I forgot a few.  R-Type Final is great, tough, and has some advanced scoring mechanics.  BTW, R-Types is technically  a PSX/One release, though it will certainly play on a PS2.

S&P Star Successor for Wii is one I thought about mentioning, but I felt it didn't fit enough into the traditional 'shmup' mold.  That being said, it's a fantastic game and I can pick up a copy for someone for less than $5 (if the store still has it, which it has for a few weeks.) 

Gradius is a perennial favorite series favorite for me, but the only games that fit post '99 is Gradius IV, (which is perhaps the weakest game in the series IMHO) Gradius Advance for GBA, (great game, but are we doing consoles?) and the super-duper great Gradius V.  But I'm a sucker for any of 'em.

Akai Katana is excellent as well, and it's another I can probably grab for under $10 locally if they still have it.

I... won't refuse to play Otomedius for this, but it really is (IMO) the worst game we've mentioned thus far.  The hit-boxes and bullet patterns are frustrating and poorly designed, and the game really drags.  The only thing I liked about it was the music, which was an excellent remix compilation of the shooters the game was parodying.  The fact that Konami got it right the first time with the superbly playable Parodius series and turned out this poor modern equivalent series must have come from the same committee refusing to release Suikoden II on either PSN or a translation of the PSP compilation. Tongue

Anyway, if we all have an Xbox, Xyanide gets a thumbs up from me also.

Keelah se'lai
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »

(If anyone wants me to nab Akai Katana or S&P:SS for those prices, shoot me a PM.  I'd love to help out.  May get them anyway just to have backups to give out later if no-one wants 'em.)

Keelah se'lai
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »

AAHH!  I KNEW I forgot a few.  R-Type Final is great, tough, and has some advanced scoring mechanics.  BTW, R-Types is technically  a PSX/One release, though it will certainly play on a PS2.

Yes, I meant R-Type Final and not R-Types. I thought about R-Types and R-Type Delta on the retro side, but those can be pricey. Sad

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »

Great suggestions. I think R-Type Final and Sin and Punishment should make the list of games. Now for just one more. Let's make this fun. The very next game to be suggested will be added to the Decemeber Shmup line up.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »

Xyanide, since I just ordered it. Smiley

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »

Great suggestions. I think R-Type Final and Sin and Punishment should make the list of games. Now for just one more. Let's make this fun. The very next game to be suggested will be added to the Decemeber Shmup line up.

Fortunately for me I have those two particular titles.

I might just join in on this bad boy...
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »

Alright! We have our games!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 07:44:17 AM »

Alright! We have our games!

So what are these officially?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length