RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:17:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Weeding? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Weeding?  (Read 4678 times)
stillplayingnes
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »

A little background on myself.  I have Masters in Library and Information Science(yes, you have to have a masters to be a librarian).  In my professional career I develop the music and video game collection at a public library.  I have a ton of fun buying crap and building the collection.  But I have to weed out old stuff.  Which is actually a fun part of the job as well.  I have criteria such as how many times an item circulated or  when it circulated last that I decide whether or not it needs to stay in the collection. 

Now translating that into my hobby of collecting NES and Genesis games I feel like I don't do enough weeding.  TNN Bass Fishing on the Genesis.  I don't play it much, but I remember my uncle playing it so it stays.  Bases Loaded II on the NES.  I don't play that much either but I remember renting it with friends and really is a nostalgic trip everytime I fire that up so it stays.  Bart Vs. the Space Mutants isn't that great, but there's no way I can get rid of that one.

Do you keep everything?  Do you have weeding policy?  Is it yearly?

I'm a slow collector so I haven't out grown any space and I tend to only buy games I want to play.  So I haven't really gotten into weeding yet.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »

I am notorious for hoarding anything I collect. I always have a hard time letting go of anything. I got rid of two games so far for 2014.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »

I try to evaluate my collection on a yearly basis and do some "weeding" when necessary. Not too long ago, I decided to sell my O2 and Jaguar consoles and games, because I really wasn't playing them and really had no nostalgia associated with either of these libraries. When Crabby opened his store, I saw it as another opportunity to trim down stuff I wasn't playing, so the Game Gear, and most of my N64 collection went to him. I'm pretty much settled in terms of what I am collecting now and basically went through every console I owned to determine how I wanted to collect for it (complete vs. what I consider the better, playable titles). To this day, I still take inventory and will sell off a few games I picked up long ago that I doubt I'll ever play again.  I think if you are honest with yourself and your passions, you can avoid hoarding. It really depends on the individual in this case in terms of whether they collect mainly to play, or if they simply enjoy the collecting aspect of it. To each their own, but it's always good to decide where you fall.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
retrosportsgamer
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »

Give it time Mike - in a couple years you may take a step back and go through your inventory and decide to weed out stuff you'll never touch. I've collected since the mid 90s but really got back into it in 2011 and picked up a ton of stuff over the last 2-3 years.

This past summer, prior to us having a baby, I went through and pulled out stuff I would never touch. Most of it was acquired from 2011 onwards (3DO, Lynx, Neo Geo, 7800) that I had no emotional attachment too. Then I culled out all the commons I had (or duplicates) for SNES and N64 and offloaded them. Felt much more organized.

Now I used the $$ to add to the areas I wanted to collect for, so in the end it worked out.

Mod @racketboy , twitter: @brad21126

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »

I've actually been going through this process for the first time since I started collecting.  I was definitely a hoarder; other than duplicates, I would hang on to any game that I got my hands on, no matter how bad or worthless it was.  Once my collection hit about 1200-1300 games, I decided that my gaming area was just too cramped, so I started weeding out some games.  Mostly old sports games, generally bad games, and games that I had played before and had no intention of ever playing again.

Fast forward a few months later, and I've probably trimmed about 250-300 games from my collection, and still have some more things to get rid of.  My goal was to get my collection to under 1000 games, at least for a brief period, and I am currently very close to this goal.  I've sold/traded a lot of games on ebay and to other users here, and in the process I've been able to add some more desirable titles to my collection.

I imagine this is a process I'll have to go through every couple years or so, since I'm already noticing certain games creeping into my collection, games that I would have most definitely pulled off of my shelves just a few months ago.  I already have more games than I could play in a lifetime, especially if I count my digitally owned games as well (I probably have 700-800 games just on my Steam account alone), so it's more important for me to focus on the good games and games that I actually want to play instead of playing something I picked at random and trying to force my way through a game I'm not enjoying.

It really depends on the individual in this case in terms of whether they collect mainly to play, or if they simply enjoy the collecting aspect of it.

This is a good point.  While I do think it would be awesome for my collection to be a literal game library, I am definitely a gamer first and a collector second.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »

Collector first here. While I definitely plan on playing most of my library at some point, my collection is around for others to experience. In fact, I just brought in 3 boxed consoles and some games into the office for a game night tonight...

I need to start up Retro Game Night again.  Grin

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »

having a set of high standards for condition and what type of games you add to your collection will go a long way towards keeping things out without even having them in the first place.
Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »

having a set of high standards for condition and what type of games you add to your collection will go a long way towards keeping things out without even having them in the first place.

This defines the way I collect.  I won't let my collection get over 250 unique games so once I get something new, something old gets kicked out.  I've had a constant push for quality over quantity ever since I've started.

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 04:03:59 PM »

Unless it's a duplicate it stays in my collection.  I have the great fortune of having lots of space for my games.  Like an entire small house right next to my house I live in.  I guess you would consider it an "in-laws" house.  It was a major reason we bought the house when we did. The only other reason things leave my collection is if someone has a need for it and I don't really play it.  I will happily sell/give it to someone if they have a need for it.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »

I am pretty selective about what I'll buy these days, which makes "weeding" pretty unnecessary most of the time. I also don't buy much anymore, and a lot of what I buy is only to resell (HATE ME ALL YOU WANT).

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »

It's a hobby, do what makes you happy. I keep what I find interesting, and flip what I don't. I've got a large collection, and would feel fine with trimming a little when I am ready. Some things will never go, and some will.

GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »

It's a hobby, do what makes you happy. I keep what I find interesting, and flip what I don't. I've got a large collection, and would feel fine with trimming a little when I am ready. Some things will never go, and some will.

I'm pretty much with Duke - It's a hobby and yes do what makes you happy.  My own thought is I will not ever sell my collection even for marriage so I guess that is my Wedding Policy ;-)

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »

I am pretty selective about what I'll buy these days, which makes "weeding" pretty unnecessary most of the time. I also don't buy much anymore, and a lot of what I buy is only to resell (HATE ME ALL YOU WANT).

Why would I do that? Flipping games I either already have or aren't interested in gives me the finances to buy what I do want. This isn't an inexpensive hobby after all.

As for weeding: aside from resales, I pretty much just buy what I think might be interesting to play. There are several on-the-fence titles I'm planning to try out to see if they make the cut. If not, then I'll have that much more space for something I really do want.

'Late
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »

Why would I do that? Flipping games I either already have or aren't interested in gives me the finances to buy what I do want. This isn't an inexpensive hobby after all.

Exactly! Thank you for being blunt about it, ha ha. Nobody should hate you for reselling, you are making money, whether it is to buy more games for yourself, or to pay bills, or whatever...people should only be supportive of it. People makes tons of money flipping all sorts of stuff, you are making the effort to make a profit, and that is something to like, not hate you for. Smiley

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »

Exactly! Thank you for being blunt about it, ha ha. Nobody should hate you for reselling, you are making money, whether it is to buy more games for yourself, or to pay bills, or whatever...people should only be supportive of it. People makes tons of money flipping all sorts of stuff, you are making the effort to make a profit, and that is something to like, not hate you for. Smiley

Look no further than CrabMaster2000 as an inspiration to all the resellers on this site. The dude went all in and set up his very own meatspace-based retail game-vending establishment... which EngineerMike apparently is single-handedly keeping solvent. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length