RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:19:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Storing collection in a certain style room 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Storing collection in a certain style room  (Read 6859 times)
calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:33:30 AM »

So I have been absent for a bit, my husband and I are searching for our first home and it has really taken up a lot of time. The house we are looking at currently is a cape cod and the ceilings in what would become my game room are slanted to where I would only have half a wall all the way around this huge space. Does any one have experience or a room similar to this? I have a lot of full size shelves but they would no longer work in that type of space and the walls are slanted so there is no way to put storage on the top part of the wall. What would be the best way to maximize this space? Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you!
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »

A slanted ceiling sounds like it would be awesome to hang posters on.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »

Depending on the size of the room, you could still hang custom shelving at an angle on the slants, you would lose a few inches of space behind the displayed games, but it would still work. Also, you could even put shelving up that is 90 degrees with the wall and have some type of thin metal retention bars or something that could prevent the games from falling. I personally think having a slanted shelving would be cool to try. You would just have to leave extra space above the games so you could still take them out.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »

My gameroom has slanted walls, but I believe my wall probably goes up higher before they slant (for reference: http://www.rfgeneration.c...nerCade-Update-4-2238.php), since I am able to get full-size book cases against the walls. Angled shelving is going to be an issue, so my advice would be to get book cases and just them toward the slant as far as they will go. You will lose some room in the process (some space behind the shelves), but sacrificing this space will help you gain more room for games/consoles. You could always use the space behind the bookcases for storage and buy some bins to store controllers, cords, and other more unsightly objects you may not want people to see when they walk in the room. Another thought is to put bookcases back to back in the center of the room and use the slanted sides as a sort of gaming space (if a table, TV, will fit).

How high does your wall go up before slanting? Is your opposite wall flat or slanted too?  Might be good to post a pic of your space to help us determine your best solution. Hope this helps a little at least.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »

First world problems. Waiting for my parents to finish some shelves that I commissioned them to build for me, so I can reclaim my dresser for clothes instead of games, and not have all my clothes piled on a bed in my spare bedroom. lol. No slanted walls, just lack of adequate shelving for how I envision the room. Same problem Crabby has right now.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 12:51:02 PM »

First world problems. Waiting for my parents to finish some shelves that I commissioned them to build for me, so I can reclaim my dresser for clothes instead of games, and not have all my clothes piled on a bed in my spare bedroom. lol. No slanted walls, just lack of adequate shelving for how I envision the room. Same problem Crabby has right now.

Lack of adequate shelving, you say? I think I'm familiar with that one:

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »

Lack of adequate shelving, you say? I think I'm familiar with that one:

I'd like to have your problem  Grin

My collection is nowhere near that large, but since I've been collecting for 20+ years, and have most major consoles from the NES to last gen, I've compiled quite a library.  My games are scattered throughout the house in plastic tubs.  Some are under my bed, some are under the spare bed in the next room, my NES carts are in long tubs in a stack in that room, and some of my other games are in tubs stacked up next to my computer desk in the dining room.  My wife has begrudgingly agreed to let me pursue a nice bookshelf that I can set up in the dining room to hopefully consolidate all my games (or the vast majority) in that location, so I'm looking for something high quality that I can use.

calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »

Thanks for all the responses. I don't have a picture because we are still looking. However all the houses we are looking at tend to share this common feature. I would say most of the flat section is about 5' before it starts to slant upwards. I don't want to turn down a potential nice house due to the game room issue, however I am really looking forward to getting my collection out of the small bedroom it is in 8X10 and into a larger area to actually enjoy what I have. Currently I am wading through piles of stuff and have only room to shelve the most important things. 
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:59:26 AM »

Thanks for all the responses. I don't have a picture because we are still looking. However all the houses we are looking at tend to share this common feature. I would say most of the flat section is about 5' before it starts to slant upwards. I don't want to turn down a potential nice house due to the game room issue, however I am really looking forward to getting my collection out of the small bedroom it is in 8X10 and into a larger area to actually enjoy what I have. Currently I am wading through piles of stuff and have only room to shelve the most important things. 

Better to find a place that meets your needs now before you buy, instead of regretting it later. I really wanted a basement with our home purchase a few years ago, but my wife just wasn't into having one. Little did I know that months after buying the house, I would really get into pinball. Suffice it to say, we have a very entertaining house that friends love to visit, but now my wife doesn't have a garage to park her car. Cheesy

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »

IKEA does slanted wall shelving, and has brackets that rest against the slanted wall. Seems like a perfect solution for the problem at hand.

http://satoridesignforliv...ind-angled-wall-shelving/

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »

These are cool, but there still may be a problem with clearance and how far you can push games back on each shelf. Might want to try one set out before you buy a bunch of them.

calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »

Lol..Singlebanana! Yeah my husband really wants a garage so I don't think that would fly.

IKEA does slanted wall shelving, and has brackets that rest against the slanted wall. Seems like a perfect solution for the problem at hand.

http://satoridesignforliv...ind-angled-wall-shelving/

I like those shelves, they seem like they would be good for figures and larger items. There is no side to them so it may be difficult to put games on them.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »

The point of them was more for curio shelves than games, to be honest. As for sides... the shelves at my house don't have any sides, and I've had no problems. If anything, find a bookend to put on the side.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »

bookends are great even if your shelves do have sides, it works well if you have small collections or any gaps at the end of a shelf.
calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 09:58:06 AM »

That is a great idea Shadow. Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length