RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:17:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December Shmup Competition Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: December Shmup Competition Thread  (Read 72101 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »

It's going to be pretty cool. I'm going to have to put something under the plane to lift it a bit so that it will spin.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »

Ohhh snap I gotta win this one!  I have a couple friends that'll be extremely jealous to see this wrapped around my waist

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »

Let the s&@t-talking begin! Love it.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 08:16:46 PM »

Yeah I figured Duke would be stiff competition.  I bet he's had a 3 foot erection since the shmup challenge was announced.

If only we were playing Gradius 4.  I LOVE that game.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:22:33 PM by RetroRage » Logged

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 08:40:24 PM »

Seriously, while I like to play these, I'm not particularly good at them. This will be fun.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »

Seriously, while I like to play these, I'm not particularly good at them. This will be fun.

same here, i love these games but really suck at them, i don't expect to do well in the competition but it's going to be fun anyway.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

Are you like me, do you curse out loud every time you die because you know how hard it is to make it through a level without the power-ups?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »

Are you like me, do you curse out loud every time you die because you know how hard it is to make it through a level without the power-ups?

*raises hand*

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »

Sounds like December will be interesting. We will find out who is the best "crappy" shmup'er, seeing as how we all think we suck.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »

Sounds like December will be interesting. We will find out who is the best "crappy" shmup'er, seeing as how we all think we suck.

I plan on keeping this belt in its rightful place........in my gameroom. Stop with all of the loser talk on this thread. I know you guys are just sandbagging. I however, am ready to crush dreams.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »

It's good to see that people are really excited for this. Let's just not put ourselves down for "bad" scores or being "crappy" players.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »

It's good to see that people are really excited for this. Let's just not put ourselves down for "bad" scores or being "crappy" players.

Yes, because there will be enough time for me to put you down for that. ZING!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »

If it's all about high score I don't think it really matters which order the stages are played in.  I guess that would be part of the strategy.  MetalFRO does the Special mode for Raycrisis have to be unlocked?

No, I don't believe it does.  I didn't have a save for RayCrisis on my memory card when I booted it up on Saturday, and Special Mode was available right away.  The thing is, you don't play through all stages in Original Mode - you play through the 1st stage, which is the same each time, and then pick 3 out of 5 to play through, then you fight 'dis-human' the final boss.  So depending on the stage you select, as well as which of the 3 craft you pick, AND how you play the game (with the lock-on mechanic), it could affect the scoring pretty significantly.  That's why it might be useful to specify which 3 stages to select to help level the playing field a bit.

ALSO, after playing the Special Mode a couple times, I never saw my score show up, so I don't know that Special Mode registers a score unless you complete the game.  One thing I found to be quite neat in the Special Mode is that your ship is fully powered up, and the power-up icons that appear (specifically the pink/red ones) decrease the Encroachment counter, so you can keep the levels going a bit longer and maximize score.  Still, the fact that you don't even register a score in Special Mode unless you complete it is kind of chintzy.  So, I'll rescind my original statement and say yes, Original Mode should be used.  Since the WR-03 craft is an unlockable, do we want to keep play limited to just WR-01 and WR-02 ships?  WR-03 can be used to "spam" the lock-on laser for huge scoring, so either we should consider eliminating that ship, OR make sure everyone knows about it so they aren't at an unfair advantage.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »

You are right. Time to modify my old scouts oath: On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law; and win the shmup competition.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »

You are right. Time to modify my old scouts oath: On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law; and win the shmup competition.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length