RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:00:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December Shmup Competition Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: December Shmup Competition Thread  (Read 72096 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

Since the WR-03 craft is an unlockable, do we want to keep play limited to just WR-01 and WR-02 ships?  WR-03 can be used to "spam" the lock-on laser for huge scoring, so either we should consider eliminating that ship, OR make sure everyone knows about it so they aren't at an unfair advantage.

I haven't played Raycriss before, so I'm unfamiliar with how this unlockable works. Is it unlocked by a code, or do you have to complete some portion of the game before it is unlocked? That will be a major factor in determining whether or not that craft can be used.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 03:10:11 PM »

I'm unfamiliar with every one of these games.  Gradius is the only one I'm even vaguely familiar with because I've played Gradius 4 to death (and beat it....only took 8 hours of non-stop play in college) 

Having said that, who is good at what in this challenge?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »

In terms of shmups, I'm kind of the jack-of-all-trades, master of none type. I play a great deal of them, but have never focused or worked to beat many of them. I wouldn't say that I have a "best" game in the group, but have played most of them before.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »

I've been messing around with R-Type Final a little bit...what mode are we playing in?  Standard mode or Score Attack?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 05:28:55 PM »

I've been messing around with R-Type Final a little bit...what mode are we playing in?  Standard mode or Score Attack?

That's Fleach's side, oh and so is Raycrisis, so he'll probably need to advise you on that.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »

Damn, how did I not see this? I'm in. While we were voting I was under the assumption that retro and modern would be separate competitions, but no big deal. I'll still obliterate you chumps in U.N. Squadron  nod
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »

Damn, how did I not see this? I'm in. While we were voting I was under the assumption that retro and modern would be separate competitions, but no big deal. I'll still obliterate you chumps in U.N. Squadron  nod

We can declare a retro winner and modern winner, but only the overall winner will get THE BELT.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »

We can declare a retro winner and modern winner, but only the overall winner will get THE BELT.

It will be interesting to see how the scores are calculated to determine a winner.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:29 PM »

It will be interesting to see how the scores are calculated to determine a winner.

i think, but am not sure, that there will be a winner for each game (and maybe 1 or 2 runner ups?). each individual game competition win gives you a set number of points, and the person with the most points at the end wins overall. that's how i would do it anyway, but i can't remember if rich already explained his own system or not, he might have a different method.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 08:27:31 AM »

Having said that, who is good at what in this challenge?
Of the 8 games, I've only played U.N. Squadron, but I'm proud to say I've beaten it on it's hardest difficulty to get the best ending. That game is HARD.

I've also played Thunder Force II & III to death but I've never played Lightening Force (aka Thunder Force IV). Why on earth did they not call it Thunder Force IV in the US?!
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »

Seeing as there's a Score Attack mode I think we can use that. I'll add that info to the main post.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
ae.tc
Technician
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2014, 05:49:22 PM »

Seeing as there's a Score Attack mode I think we can use that. I'll add that info to the main post.

could do the same for otomedius excellent as well

• Sega Mega-Tech • SNK MVS • Sega Naomi 2 • Kaneko AX • Taito F3 ••
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2014, 08:44:20 PM »

Which ever is the best way to rack up a high score. We still have three days to finalize the nitty gritty.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »

I decided to pop in Sin & Punishment today just for the hell of it. It is a damn superb game, but it is hard as hell, even playing on easy as Kachi. I'm about halfway through the game and honestly I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. We're definitely going to have to decide for this game what difficulty and character for people to use for the score to count. 

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2014, 09:40:21 PM »

I decided to pop in Sin & Punishment today just for the hell of it. It is a damn superb game, but it is hard as hell, even playing on easy as Kachi. I'm about halfway through the game and honestly I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. We're definitely going to have to decide for this game what difficulty and character for people to use for the score to count.  

In that case, let's make it interesting.

Easy = score x 1
Medium = score x 1.5
Hard = score x 2

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length