RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:24:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December Shmup Competition Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: December Shmup Competition Thread  (Read 72077 times)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2014, 01:28:42 AM »

oh snap, only 35 minutes to try and reclaim top place for S&P. brb.

edit: shit, i thought that when i continued a saved game it would keep my score >< i took this pic from the rankings menu, any way we can just count the three separate stage bests as my combined score to submit? they're technically from one continued run.

so that would be 30, 174, 668 for one continued run.

Not if you got a game over and continued.  That totes wouldnt be fair, especially 30 minutes before this weeks' sessions are over.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2014, 06:42:21 AM »

I'm sorry but I think Sin & Punishment takes the crown for best game in the competition.  It's fun as hell.

Nothing to be sorry about. Truer words were never spoken.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »

Is Sin and Punishment a rail-shooter?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:34 AM »

Is Sin and Punishment a rail-shooter?

Yes it is.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »

edit: shit, i thought that when i continued a saved game it would keep my score >< i took this pic from the rankings menu, any way we can just count the three separate stage bests as my combined score to submit? they're technically from one continued run.

Not if you got a game over and continued.  That totes wouldnt be fair, especially 30 minutes before this weeks' sessions are over.

+1, it has to be the total score, not adding totals for the reason stated above. Good thing is that you'll have the Royal Rumble at the end of the month to move up the standings and post a higher score/earn more points.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #290 on: December 22, 2014, 09:18:44 AM »

This weeks scores have been updated. And member RetroRage is still in the lead after Week 3; he posted the high score on Sin & Punishment, while true to his word, MetalFRO took the top spot in Lightening Force for the week.

PLEASE remember that your lowest score WILL be dropped from one retro game and one modern game to determine this month's winner, so plan accordingly when determining which scores you need to improve most during the Royal Rumble (last 3 days of the month - Dec. 29th - 31st).

Week 4's games are Raycrisis & Otomedius Excellent, so please go head and get started. Please note that we will be playing all the way through Raycrisis using continues (limitless). If you did not see my post earlier this month, here are the rules for that game:

"Okay, I'm going to put the final ruling down on the WR-03, since I played through the game last night.....yes, played through it. Seems that you have limitless continues that allow your score to increase as you continue, so I discuss a means of possibly working this out below.

(1) The WR-03 is a selectable craft from the start menu in the game. Nothing is needed to unlock it. Since everyone can use it, it will remain in the competition.

(2) In terms of scoring, I noticed that after I finished the game, there was an end screen that not only posted my total score for the playthrough, but also tracked something called "Total Plays" (I believe this is what is was called, can't find picture). I assume this number represents how many total times you continued in order to finish the game. I will playthrough it again before the last week of the month to determine if this is accurate. If so, my suggestion is that instead of high score, participants will be ranked that week based on how many times they have to continue to finish the game. Basically, the least number of continues will take the top spot. If there is a tie at any position, high score will determine finish order.

For instance, lets say that myself and MetalFRO are at the top of the leaderboard with only 6 continues to finish. If his total points are higher than mine, then he will earn 10 points for the week and I will earn 9."

This means that for Raycrisis, you will not only post your final score, but also your number of Total Plays. Both numbers can be captured on the same screen.

Leaderboard:
RetroRage - 51
MetalFRO - 48
singlebanana - 44
GrayGhost81 - 30
JerryGreenwood - 28
techwizard - 20
Duke.Togo - 11
ae.tc - 9
OatBob - 7
EngineerMike - 5

And as always, please verify your scores and standing. I do my best, but am liable to make a mistake or two. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:25:00 AM by singlebanana » Logged

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »

Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself, but is the battle royal for any and all games thus far, or do you have to pick just one? Like, I can go back and get better scores on all the games I didn't really try on?

Also, Otomedius has many modes, I just want to be clear are we doing Story Mode on the default difficulty or something else?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2014, 11:18:11 AM »

Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself, but is the battle royal for any and all games thus far, or do you have to pick just one? Like, I can go back and get better scores on all the games I didn't really try on?

As long as you put up a score for a game during the first 4 weeks, you can improve your score on ANY of those games during the Royal Rumble. Thanks for speaking up and allowing me to clarify.

Also, Otomedius has many modes, I just want to be clear are we doing Story Mode on the default difficulty or something else?

This is the only game that I am not participating in this month (no 360), so Floyd will need to chime in here.

ae.tc
Technician
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #293 on: December 22, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »

i like story/default ...  ninja

• Sega Mega-Tech • SNK MVS • Sega Naomi 2 • Kaneko AX • Taito F3 ••
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #294 on: December 22, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »

Not if you got a game over and continued.  That totes wouldnt be fair, especially 30 minutes before this weeks' sessions are over.

+1, it has to be the total score, not adding totals for the reason stated above. Good thing is that you'll have the Royal Rumble at the end of the month to move up the standings and post a higher score/earn more points.

it wasn't a game over though, that's the problem. it has an option to save and quit without game over, which is what i did because i had to leave for some reason (work i think) and didn't want to lose my progress. if it was game over i would agree, but it was one straight run that was just essentially paused in between.

edit: just saw the rule on the first post about no save points (see below) but from your wording i take that to mean no save points on modern ports of old games that never used to have them. the way i used it wasn't "to my advantage", it was a basic feature of the game that everyone has access to, and is used not when you game over but when you just want a break.

ALSO, DO NOT USE SAVE POINTS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE IF YOU ARE PLAYING ONE OF THE MODERN CONSOLE VERSIONS OR ON ANY CONSOLE WITH A SAVE FEATURE.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:22:55 PM by techwizard » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #295 on: December 22, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »

Still, there is no way to differentiate between what could have been a run at one time and what could have been run at another. We can only go with the highest total score. Not that we all don't believe you, of course we trust you, it's just the principle of the matter and the precedent it creates. If I made this concession for you, I would have to allow everyone to total up their scores. Sorry, but in fairness, that's the way it has to be.

As I said before, you have a chance to better your standing in the last three days of the competition, so I encourage you to better your score during that time.

ae.tc
Technician
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #296 on: December 22, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »

w.i.p. - 1,764,100

• Sega Mega-Tech • SNK MVS • Sega Naomi 2 • Kaneko AX • Taito F3 ••
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »

Alright I'm going to step in here because I don't want people to get held up:

For Otomedius Excellent, please post your best score in Story Mode on the default difficulty.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #298 on: December 22, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »

Alright I'm going to step in here because I don't want people to get held up:

For Otomedius Excellent, please post your best score in Story Mode on the default difficulty.

Yep, score already posted in this mode, so seems like the logical way to score it. Carry on gents.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #299 on: December 22, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »

So, Otomedius Excellent is interesting...

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length