RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:12:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | DVD PC Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DVD PC Games  (Read 2949 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: June 24, 2004, 05:41:53 PM »

DVD console games are obviously more than plentiful...  but what about PC games?  There are plenty of games that would benefit from the extra space on the DVD format, but are there any?  I know that until recently, not all *that* many people had DVD drives on their PC's, and even now, there are still a lot who don't.  I have seen some software on DVD-ROM's, like the Complete National Geographic (4 DVD's as opposed to over 30 CD's).  But are there any PC/Mac games on DVD?

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 01:20:21 AM »

Baldur's Gate was released on DVD several years back.  Most pc games still seem to fit on one or 2 cd's, which makes it a bit silly to put them on dvd.
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 01:38:31 AM »

yet many PC mags have DVD dics on the covers.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 07:59:35 AM »

most modern store bought computers come with dvd drives.  Even if the only reason is to have a drive to copy cds from, most have them, right above the CD burner.
FF11 came on 5cds, but you only use them once, so it wouldn't matter if it was 1 dvd instead.  Unlike consoles, you aren't usually swapping cds during gameplay. (except Baldur's Gate)

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 09:25:20 PM »

I think most companies are reluctant to purchase the multi-DVD burner machines, after all they already own a lot of the CD ones, and the price of an extra CD does not justify the cost of the new machines.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 02:46:37 AM »

Unreal Tuournament 2004 special edition is coming out soon (maybe its alreay out?) it a dvd and it has a video that teaches you how to make a map, also some other recent games have been produced only on dvds

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 03:05:49 AM »

Most computer come with DVD drives or they come with DVD in one drive bay and a burner in the other anyone who has ever been to Dells website would now that DVD drives are practically given away with computers now.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 04:00:19 AM »

Yeah they're pretty much standard on new computers, but there are sooo many people out there still running PII and PIII machines that didn't have DVD drives, that companies can't always assume a DVD release would work.  But, some games will do better on DVD because of who is playing them and what hardware they are likely to have. UT2K4 for instance, would do much better on DVD than say...  The Sims: The 9,236th Expansion would.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 04:16:25 AM »

ut2k4 barely runs on the average p3 i can assure you and a 8xdvd drive runs faster than a 58x cd drive and it run about 30-50 bucks...i think

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length