RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:31:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Gaming Diary: Chapter 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 159 Print
Author Topic: The Gaming Diary: Chapter 3  (Read 849789 times)
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1830 on: July 09, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »

Judgment - I've put much more time into this one, and the side content has picked up considerably after getting several hours in. Other than that, my thoughts are pretty much the same: good story but I'm not a big fan of Yagami's combat style.

Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3 - Since this game was just officially localized for the Switch, a friend of mine and I just started playing it and got a couple of hours in. I'm not really impressed so far. The combat feels pretty stiff, and the music so far isn't even remotely as good as Secret of Mana. The story is definitely more fleshed out than its predecessor, however.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1831 on: July 10, 2019, 01:42:17 AM »

Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3 - Since this game was just officially localized for the Switch, a friend of mine and I just started playing it and got a couple of hours in. I'm not really impressed so far. The combat feels pretty stiff, and the music so far isn't even remotely as good as Secret of Mana. The story is definitely more fleshed out than its predecessor, however.
I'm hoping that alot of these issues are dealt with in the upcoming remake.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1832 on: July 11, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wandering about looking for shrines and trouble.  Also kind of looking at the main quest, but not really.

I have to say that I am very impressed with Breath of the Wild so far.  I haven't had this much fun exploring a 3D world since the first time I played Morrowind on the OG Xbox (and then later on PC) and Skyrim.  I think a lot of it has to do with how wild the environment feels.  I really get a sense that for the most part this is a world that was desolated but is starting to get back to some civilization.  Much like in Skyrim, I love the little touches that appear in the world, like the wrecks of Guardians strewn about (what I like to imagine are ancient battlefields) and an area with a bunch of travelers claymores stuck in the ground (which I think of as a graveyard).  I also really love that the game world (and how to exist within it) aren't shoved down your throat from the beginning, so that somebody who walks around without talking to people (like me) often have no idea how basic things (like money) works.  Great game, and this is coming from somebody who really didn't like any of the 3D Zelda games (outside of Wind Waker).

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1833 on: July 11, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wandering about looking for shrines and trouble.  Also kind of looking at the main quest, but not really.

I have to say that I am very impressed with Breath of the Wild so far.  I haven't had this much fun exploring a 3D world since the first time I played Morrowind on the OG Xbox (and then later on PC) and Skyrim.  I think a lot of it has to do with how wild the environment feels.  I really get a sense that for the most part this is a world that was desolated but is starting to get back to some civilization.  Much like in Skyrim, I love the little touches that appear in the world, like the wrecks of Guardians strewn about (what I like to imagine are ancient battlefields) and an area with a bunch of travelers claymores stuck in the ground (which I think of as a graveyard).  I also really love that the game world (and how to exist within it) aren't shoved down your throat from the beginning, so that somebody who walks around without talking to people (like me) often have no idea how basic things (like money) works.  Great game, and this is coming from somebody who really didn't like any of the 3D Zelda games (outside of Wind Waker).

I think that's what my favorite part of Breath of the Wild is too. The main quest is good and I like to make progress every now and then (I believe i have cleared three of the sacred beast's). But, I have the most fun just mucking about and doing whatever really.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1834 on: July 13, 2019, 04:38:23 AM »

Beat Life Is Strange a couple of weeks ago. Great story/novel style game, which starts out fairly normal and then becomes darker and darker. Highly recommended. I'm now playing the prequel/sequel "Before the Storm".
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1835 on: July 14, 2019, 12:21:10 PM »

Started up Katamari Damacy again. I’m hoping to complete it within the next day or two. After that I’m not sure what I’ll want to play next.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1836 on: July 15, 2019, 08:58:57 AM »

I played through Super Mario Land 2 for the Community Playthrough last night, and ended up doing it all in one sitting. First time doing that. The castle can be quite aggravating.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1837 on: July 15, 2019, 11:45:53 AM »

More Breath of the Wild.  I've wandered about, randomly kicking Bokoblin/Moblin butts and going through a lot of weapons.  Fortunately since I've freed Vah Ruta, the Divine Beast in Zora's Domain, I now have Lightscale Trident (and I am early enough in the game where it is relevant) which appears to be fixable (according to the guy in the weapon shop).  Anyone know if I actually have to bring back the weapon "badly damaged" or can I just treat it like every other "badly damaged" weapon and throw it, then get it reforged (from nothing?) in Zora's Domain?

I think Tuesday I am going to play through Super Mario Land 2 DX for the C-Playthrough.

A minor (but very annoying) setback with the NES Challenge.  I was very annoyed but at stage four of Treasure Master, but I lost power and lost progress.  This wasn't so terrible, except I have already forgotten how to progress up to that point, and to be quite frank a lot of the progress through Stage 3 was entirely due to bumbling.  I will be consulting an online "longplay" to help me from this point on.

- Han Solo
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1838 on: July 16, 2019, 10:12:32 AM »

Yesterday evening was spent trying to ride a deer in Breath of the Wild.  I was unsuccessful at every turn, but I did manage to clear one tower and three shrines before I quit for the night.

- Han Solo
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1839 on: July 16, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »

Judgment - Still plugging away and surprised that I'm already closing in on 25 hours. This game keeps growing on me and I'm sure I'll come away really enjoying it, but I think I like it less than any mainline Yakuza game I've played. The investigation mechanics feel pretty half-baked.

Trails of Cold Steel - Well, it's taken about 80 hours over the course of more than a year, but I'm finally at the end of the game. I believe all I have left is the final boss fight, and I hope to wrap this one up tonight.

Blazing Chrome - I played through this recently released indie game with a friend. It's a great sidescrolling run & gun that takes heavy inspiration from the 16-bit Contra titles. I highly recommend this one!

Batman: Arkham Asylum - I wanted to play Arkham City along with the Cartridge Club this month, but I've been meaning to replay Arkham Asylum for years and figured this would be the best time to do it. Despite it being fairly dated, I'm still really enjoying it.

Edit:

Jeanne d'Arc - Forgot to add that I started this last week. I'm not very far into it yet, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It feels like a nice blend of Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:55:51 PM by Disposed Hero » Logged

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1840 on: July 17, 2019, 07:17:55 AM »

I've been playing the following:

- Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy: Not as good as the Professor Layton games.  This is a series of 10 cases without the great story of the Layton games.  I'm near the end and I have a feeling the cases will come together but it dsoesn't hold my attention like the other Layton games.
- Duck Life: Battle: I had some free cash from MS so I downloaded this.  It's ok, simple game.  I think the kids will love it.
- Was playing Zelda 2 again, the second best Zelda game. Smiley

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1841 on: July 17, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »

Trails of Cold Steel - Finally finished it! I had a lot of ups and downs with this one, mainly during the first half, but the second half became much more interesting and held my attention more. In a cool twist, the very end of the game essentially became Xenogears. Overall, I came away with a positive impression and will likely start the sequel soon... after taking a break first!

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1842 on: July 18, 2019, 07:17:00 AM »

I'm swamped with games right now. I'm playing through:

Strikers 1945 II
Golf Story
Rage 2
Judgment
Hollow Knight
Super Mario Maker 2
Samurai Showdown
Dragon Quest Builders 2

I need more time  Smiley

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1843 on: July 20, 2019, 12:16:50 AM »

Lately it's been a lot of Black Bass on NES. Nostalgia with this game is extremely high and I love playing it. The game takes me back to a better place in time and I can zone out too.

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1844 on: July 22, 2019, 06:20:23 AM »

I've been bouncing back and forth between a few different games lately. Strikers 1945 II I've been trying to put some practice in this one for to increase my scores, but  progress is slow. Pokemon Let's Go Eevee I wasn't original sold on the Pokemon Go mechanics, but I picked this up for $20 during prime day. I've been having a good bit of fun playing through the original Pokemon again. So far I have two badges. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land Since I beat the first two games of this series for the July Playthrough, I decided to give this one a try. SO far I think it is a fun game, but I definitely enjoyed Super Mario Land 2 more. Lastly in preparation of the August playthrough I'm playing Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc To get a feel for the game play and a story to build off of when we play the 2nd game in the series next month. I wasn't sure how I would feel playing this game, but the visual novel and murder mystery elements are actually a lot of fun. There's also a sorta dating sim element to the game as well, that allows you new abilities that come in handy during the trial sequences, encouraging you to get to know as many students as possible.

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 159 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length