RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:10:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | are we allowed to post controversial topics here? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: are we allowed to post controversial topics here?  (Read 10894 times)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 01:02:36 PM »

Is it 13? Thought there was an agreement somewhere with a higher age.
13 is the only age limit I'm aware of. Other than that special board where we all posted naked pictures of ourselves of course. We had to raise the age limit to 100 on that one, even 18 wasn't enough after a while.

Can you lift my ban on that board yet? I promise I'll be good this time. I need access to the Tynstar pics!!!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »

Very true Shadow, I am a teacher and can tell you no matter how intelligent the kid is, they still say ridiculous things or very insightful things. I avoid the word stupid because the kids are not stupid they just make mistakes most of the time cause they don't know yet. The question is how mature, civil, and respectful can a person be when discussing opinions.

I think people on here are careful about what they say, and honestly if someone has an issue with the topic they can share it with the community or avoid the topic.

There are plenty other things to talk about on here that are not controversial that people can still discuss with others.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

Can't find the controversial topics?  Trust me, they are here, though buried deep, and shining examples of how not to have civilized conversation in a forum.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »

But mostly it's things like, "Do box variations count if it's only a sticker?" and discussions about downloadable-only games.

You think I'm joking....
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »

But mostly it's things like, "Do box variations count if it's only a sticker?" and discussions about downloadable-only games.

You think I'm joking....

this made me laugh, especially because it's so true.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »

You think I'm joking....

The non-physical discussions are my least favorite.  We have extreme proponents of both, and each is at a loss as to why the other even exists.

Generally I do what my Mom always told me, and abstain from discussions I can add nothing to.  I mean, can't we all just get a C64 and get along?

- Han Solo
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »

Actually, many of the controversial topics are from older years, and quite a few were also lost in the outage. As much as you think silly database discussions are controversial, we've dealt with topics and members that have resulted in criminal investigations.

No worries - the community has always dealt with these things.

Zthun
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 11:24:16 PM »

To be honest with you, I'd rather not have religious discussions on a gaming forum.  The always boil down to flame wars.  You can get some interesting discussions but there's too many people that have a one dimensional view of things, and get hyper offended if others don't share their same world view.  I'd rather see that stuff confined to Facebook and YouTube comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »

You know what discussion I'm surprised never got started?  Whose regional food is better?  I was in the middle of one of those in a Giant Bomb forum and it deteriorated quickly.  I think it started when I posted pics of a delicious cheese-steak I made at home in Michigan and was blasted because I didn't make it in Philadelphia.

Man, talking about food.  Who's up for a catfish po boy?  I'd drive the 1k miles to Jan's Cajun in Lafitte to get me another one of those bad boys.

- Han Solo
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 11:34:27 PM »

You know what discussion I'm surprised never got started?  Whose regional food is better?  I was in the middle of one of those in a Giant Bomb forum and it deteriorated quickly.  I think it started when I posted pics of a delicious cheese-steak I made at home in Michigan and was blasted because I didn't make it in Philadelphia.

Man, talking about food.  Who's up for a catfish po boy?  I'd drive the 1k miles to Jan's Cajun in Lafitte to get me another one of those bad boys.

Pizza in south Florida is better than any pizza I've had elsewhere in the country. that is all.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 11:53:48 PM »

^False.^
*starts breaking seals on banhammer*

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 12:14:41 AM »

The non-physical discussions are my least favorite.  We have extreme proponents of both, and each is at a loss as to why the other even exists.

Generally I do what my Mom always told me, and abstain from discussions I can add nothing to.  I mean, can't we all just get a C64 and get along?

A physical C64, or a virtually emulated C64?  Sounds like fightin' words...

To be honest with you, I'd rather not have religious discussions on a gaming forum.  The always boil down to flame wars.  You can get some interesting discussions but there's too many people that have a one dimensional view of things, and get hyper offended if others don't share their same world view.  I'd rather see that stuff confined to Facebook and YouTube comments.

I do wish folks had more civility and open-mindedness when it comes to discussions of beliefs and worldviews, and I know what you mean about desiring to protect the few safe havens that exists on the 'net.  I just tend to offer to PM back and forth if anyone wants to discuss things, and hope they will.

And for the record, the best pizza is my Beloved's homemade deep dish.  Feel free to disagree while I enjoy edible deliciousness.

Keelah se'lai
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 12:49:41 AM »

The non-physical discussions are my least favorite.  We have extreme proponents of both, and each is at a loss as to why the other even exists.

Generally I do what my Mom always told me, and abstain from discussions I can add nothing to.  I mean, can't we all just get a C64 and get along?

A physical C64, or a virtually emulated C64?  Sounds like fightin' words...

To be honest with you, I'd rather not have religious discussions on a gaming forum.  The always boil down to flame wars.  You can get some interesting discussions but there's too many people that have a one dimensional view of things, and get hyper offended if others don't share their same world view.  I'd rather see that stuff confined to Facebook and YouTube comments.

I do wish folks had more civility and open-mindedness when it comes to discussions of beliefs and worldviews, and I know what you mean about desiring to protect the few safe havens that exists on the 'net.  I just tend to offer to PM back and forth if anyone wants to discuss things, and hope they will.

And for the record, the best pizza is my Beloved's homemade deep dish.  Feel free to disagree while I enjoy edible deliciousness.

A real one, naturally, although I am considering an Ultimate 1541 to go along with it (Hillsfar and a few others are to the point where they only run half the time).  I feel the real fightin' with the C64 is between controllers: joystick or Genesis/Megadrive gamepad?

Mmm.  Pizza.  I feel the best judge of the quality of a city is in their pizza.  Fortunately I consider myself region-less in this regard (I once bought a pizza out of a place that was basically two welded together double-wides that happen to have a brick oven inside located literally out in the middle of the woods).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:05:33 AM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »

a local place called Keating Pizza has the best in my town out of what i've tried. their slices are thick, lots of cheese, nice and greasy.

[img width=640 height=480]http://a3.urbancdn.com/w/s/1t/PymaoVyKds6VfQ-640m.jpg[/img]
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 01:40:18 PM »

Y'know, spending a significant part of my youth growing up alongside the Mississippi, I had many a fresh catfish, some of which I caught myself.

I... do not enjoy the taste of them at all.  Even a little bit.  I would try one every few years, as I do any food I don't like, just to see if I could refine a taste for it, and nope.  Those ugly bottomfeeding critters still taste rather yucky for me. 

Probably the most fun freshwater fish to catch though.

a local place called Keating Pizza has the best in my town out of what i've tried. their slices are thick, lots of cheese, nice and greasy.

[img width=640 height=480]http://a3.urbancdn.com/w/s/1t/PymaoVyKds6VfQ-640m.jpg[/img]

For me, a sign of a good pizza is to have quality cheese that doesn't break down into oils upon heating, as well as a crust that is soft and crisp with a mild crunch, so 'greasy pizza' and 'good pizza' are contrary terms.  Then again, typical Americana foods are amongst my least favorite in the cultural foods spectrum.

And as for controllers, Bomba; I was born and raised on a classic Atari joystick, and spent my youngest gaming years on one from the Atari through the C64.  So naturally I choose... the D-pad.  Hands down.  I remember how foreign that original NES controller felt the first time I held it at a friend's house, but after many hours of training on SMB, Tiger Heli and Zelda II, I just couldn't go back.  I still plug a Genesis or Master System controller into our Atari Systems when I play.  Blasphemous to some, but I challenge those puritans to beat Necromancer without destroying as many joysticks as I did.

Keelah se'lai
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length