RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:31:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | are we allowed to post controversial topics here? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: are we allowed to post controversial topics here?  (Read 10853 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: December 25, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »

I browsed the forum the first day I got here and didn't really see any political or religious topics. usually forums have an entire section devoted to that but I didn't see it here.

I understand why it'd be discouraged on a gaming forum and I won't say I would agree with the reason but I enjoy talking about current events, or things that may negatively or positively affect my life outside of what is on my TV screen.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:32:26 PM »

there's no rule against it that i'm aware of (i just skimmed over the site policies and didn't see anything). typically we're all pretty laid back here though, and don't often get into very serious topics, i think most of the people here are just looking to have fun. unless one of the staff says otherwise i don't see why you can't start current event topics if you'd like to, just try to keep them civil and avoid flame wars.
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »

I'm too scared to. I think my opinions are too outside the norm Smiley

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »

I'm too scared to. I think my opinions are too outside the norm Smiley

Haha! Oh, I assure you, it's tough for a fellow to have more opinions outside the norm than myself. As long as topics are discussed with civility and respect, I'd say that's what the idle chatter/off topic forums are here for.

I have always thought it a bit absurd that the two most important things folks could discuss, religion and politics, are considered taboo and when conversation does happen, it's often with a lack of manners not seen since pre-school.

Keelah se'lai
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »

I think everyone on here, has a sort of unspoken rule, about the level of "controversy" we bring to forum. We all maintain civility and friendliness towards each other, under one common ground: gaming. There is absolutely minimal Trolling on here if any and I like that. I always make a conscious effort, to watch what I say, and not offend anyone and I feel like I am respected in that regard, in return. I, like you, have the feeling that many of my opinions are outside the norm. It has taken me many years to learn one simple thing: Know your audience.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 08:26:25 PM »

I wouldn't think there is any problems with discussions outside of gaming as long as it is in the correct forum, and handled in a civil and respectful manner. I'm sure I have plenty of opinions that aren't particularly main stream, but I'm open to discussing views with others. Perhaps someone with a ban hammer can chime in...

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »

Topics aren't banned, but when it comes to politics and religion, most conversations devolve very quickly into attempts to change the thoughts and behaviors of other people, rather than the actual discussion itself.

The site is for 18+ due to the sales forum, but we tend to keep topics at PG-level language. I have no problem creating a more restrictive forum if that type of language or topics causes problems for the general populace, but in the most part just keep things civil and respective, and don't attack your fellow members.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 10:16:41 PM »

Even if a controversial thread was started, everyone is too friendly to each other on here for it to devolve into ad hominem or shit-posting. This site is kind of like an oasis of respect on the internet- very refreshing.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 10:25:45 PM »

The site is for 18+ due to the sales forum, but we tend to keep topics at PG-level language. I have no problem creating a more restrictive forum if that type of language or topics causes problems for the general populace, but in the most part just keep things civil and respective, and don't attack your fellow members.

"I am at least 13 years old. "
Fix that checkbox that exists when signing up or i will drop the banhammer.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 11:19:50 PM »

Is it 13? Thought there was an agreement somewhere with a higher age.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 11:48:34 PM »

I know that you have to put that age restriction on there for legal reasons but I can remember using game sites as early as 12. I think that most young people are mature enough for the material on these sites, and I also think there are people well over 18 who are not mature enough for business transactions.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 11:49:46 PM »

What we really need is an IQ test to determine who gets to use the site. If your IQ is below 90, you should be required a waiver to register.

ae.tc
Technician
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 01:01:53 AM »

-indeed

• Sega Mega-Tech • SNK MVS • Sega Naomi 2 • Kaneko AX • Taito F3 ••
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »

Is it 13? Thought there was an agreement somewhere with a higher age.
13 is the only age limit I'm aware of. Other than that special board where we all posted naked pictures of ourselves of course. We had to raise the age limit to 100 on that one, even 18 wasn't enough after a while.

We've lost power in the forward Game Boy, Mario is not responding
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »

What we really need is an IQ test to determine who gets to use the site. If your IQ is below 90, you should be required a waiver to register.

IQ isn't really a valid test - my roommate's sister has autistic children that would score under 90, but they're well-adjusted enough to know how money and transactions work just fine, even if they have trouble communicating it. That's a separate topic on its own, though.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length