RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:36:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Your loved Homebrews, Hacks & Repos 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Your loved Homebrews, Hacks & Repos  (Read 3788 times)
NxCmp
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« on: December 26, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »

I did a search for this topic and nothing I found got everyone together that's interested in this to answer the following question(s).

No matter what the system, what are some of your most enjoyed homebrews, hacks and repos, where did you get them and how much did you pay?

Need computer or other I.T. related help ? Send me a PM, would be glad to help.
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »

never bought a repro/hack/homebrew and I'm pretty sure profiting off of someone else's IP is illegal.

I know Nintendo Age loves that stuff but I never got into it. I'm more interested in brand new IP. there was a game that Gamester81 made for the NES or SNES I think, or maybe it was one of his friends, and that sounded really cool. I guess that'd be a "homebrew" right?

NxCmp
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »

never bought a repro/hack/homebrew and I'm pretty sure profiting off of someone else's IP is illegal.

I know Nintendo Age loves that stuff but I never got into it. I'm more interested in brand new IP. there was a game that Gamester81 made for the NES or SNES I think, or maybe it was one of his friends, and that sounded really cool. I guess that'd be a "homebrew" right?

To answer your question, Yes,  a game made after a consoles life that's not official is a Homebrew,

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:30:07 PM »

i have no problem with it if it's a completely new game just made for an old system. i agree, no interest in remakes or modified versions of already existing games by people who don't have the rights to do that. the only homebrew i have is an NES one called Dragon Leap, it's alright.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »

I've talked about this on the show several times, but I would highly recommend quite a few: School Days, Action 53 Volume 1, Battle Kid 1 & 2, Leisuresuit Larry (NES), Nomolos, Assimilate. I could keep going, but I really enjoy when new NES games come out.

NxCmp
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 08:13:27 PM »

I've talked about this on the show several times, but I would highly recommend quite a few: School Days, Action 53 Volume 1, Battle Kid 1 & 2, Leisuresuit Larry (NES), Nomolos, Assimilate. I could keep going, but I really enjoy when new NES games come out.

HA! Listening to the latest podcast right now Tongue

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »

The only repro carts I have, are from a guy on Nintendo Age. He has a decent selection, and offers a 3 for $75 deal. I got Final Fantasy V, Terranigma, and Secret of Mana 2. I plan on getting the Ys repros at some point.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 08:42:08 PM »

The only repro carts I have, are from a guy on Nintendo Age. He has a decent selection, and offers a 3 for $75 deal. I got Final Fantasy V, Terranigma, and Secret of Mana 2. I plan on getting the Ys repros at some point.

Just a consideration Mike: The Retron 5 can now patch on the fly, so you can use translation patches with authentic Super Famicom carts. If you like going the repro route though, I get it. Uniformity is nice.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »

Just a consideration Mike: The Retron 5 can now patch on the fly, so you can use translation patches with authentic Super Famicom carts. If you like going the repro route though, I get it. Uniformity is nice.

Duke, you just blew my mind with that piece of info. Thanks man. This will definitely add a few more Fami/Super Fami carts to the want list now. Only now, I will have to make my computer-illiterate brain try and figure that out...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:15:52 AM by EngineerMike » Logged

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 11:55:23 AM »

Pretty easy:

1. Update to latest software on Retron 5.
2. Find appropriate translation patch. Great site for these is http://www.romhacking.net/
3. Go into the menu before loading the game under its settings and select the IPS patch for the translation.
4. Play the game.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »

Thanks Duke! Going to try this out with Labyrinth for Famicom in the next couple days. Also, might actually be able to play  Hokuto no Ken 3.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 03:11:09 PM »

Thanks Duke! Going to try this out with Labyrinth for Famicom in the next couple days. Also, might actually be able to play Hakkudo No Ken 3.

I don't know if I would recommend any of the Fist of the North Star games, but suit yourself. Wink

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »

Part 3 was an RPG though!!!

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »

~

Wh-wh-whaaa?  That...  is one of the greatest things I've ever heard of.  This is the first serious arguement against getting an Ultimate 1541 II next year.  Thanks, Duke!

On topic, I've had my eye on a bunch of C64 software for a while, Newcomer specifically.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:33:49 PM by bombatomba » Logged

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 12:13:30 AM »

I am very interested in making my own SNES or NES game. Is it legal? I know that people do translations all the time but I am interested in actually doing something where I could see a return on the time/money I spend on development without running into legal issues.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length