RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:04:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Episode #9 - RF Generation Playcast 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Episode #9 - RF Generation Playcast  (Read 17949 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: January 04, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »

Coming to you at midnight server time!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »

This was a fun episode. Hope everyone enjoys it and Shares their favorite games of last year.

I've accumulated a bunch of unredeemed games from Humble Bundles, so the first three people to post their favourite playthroughs will get a free Steam game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:04:27 AM by Fleach » Logged

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »

Great episode guys.  It was very interesting to hear everybody's take on their favorite and least favorite playthroughs of the year, and some of your picks surprised me.

Anyway, I was made aware that you guys were planning on doing a 'best of 2014' podcast a while back, so it's something I've given some thought over the last couple of months.  I was originally going to make a ranked list of all the playthroughs I participated in this year (all 16 of them!), but it was getting way too long winded, so I capped it at five.  Interestingly, this changed up my list a bit to allow for more games that I had never played before, or had at least been a very long time since I played them.

My criteria for my ranking was basically the games that I had the overall best experience playing during the community playthrough (not necessarily my favorite games of the bunch), and I also excluded playthroughs that I didn't participate in (so Super Metroid and SoTN are excluded from my list, despite being two of my all time favorites).

So without further ado, my list, starting at number 5 and ending with my top favorite:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)

And there you have it guys!  Thanks to the community playthrough guys for hosting a year full of awesome games and giving me an excuse to replay some classic titles and experience some new ones.  Here's to another great year!   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:41:18 AM by Disposed Hero » Logged

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »

Wow! A complete shocker there at the end, but really glad you enjoyed the playthroughs this year. I really enjoyed reading your list and about the experiences you had with the games. Looking forward to kicking ass and taking initials with you some more in the great games we have in store for 2015. Initials? That's right, we don't stop kicking ass long enough to take down full names! Thanks Beast. Cheesy

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »

I'm with Sean 100% on Gradius and similar games.  "Thinking about getting a high score too much", "You have to become a perfectionist [instead of just playing the game]"  "If you die you have to reset, that's not fun"  It's like he was reading my mind.

More thoughts to come, whether you want them or not..

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:01:54 PM »

Older games were all about high scores. You didn't put your initials in the arcade cab for finishing games back then. I think there's a lot more to these games than finishing them and that includes working out strategies to earn higher totals; it's a big part of what also makes these games special. It's too bad we've gotten away from the spirit of competition and having some fun with each other. If it's one complaint about modern gaming that I have is that it's too self-centered and individualistic. Community was what made older games great and it's a shame we've all but lost that. And that's the old guys 2 cents.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:03:52 AM by singlebanana » Logged

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 11:09:54 PM »

I have to agree with Rich on this one. I think with the shift away from arcades the high score challenges aren't as popular. So many games still have leader boards, but who checks those?

On a related note, The Blue Flamingo looks amazing! Too bad it's PC only (and digital).

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 03:01:55 AM »

really enjoyed reading your list Disposed! i think i was more surprised about system shock 2 than i was about kingdom hearts.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »

really enjoyed reading your list Disposed! i think i was more surprised about system shock 2 than i was about kingdom hearts.

Yeah, I wish System Shock 2 got more love than it did during the playthrough, but I can totally understand why some people just couldn't get into it.  I didn't even like it when I first started it.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:18 PM »

Nobody wants Steam games? Diposed Hero got something cool for posting his favourite playthrough games.

Regarding System Shock 2, it's not a bad game but it's certainly not for everyone. I enjoyed and thought that many design choices were fantastic, but the game just got the better of me. I couldn't finish it.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »

I liked System Shock 2, despite the numerous problems I had with it (pacing).  I fully agree with Disposed, it has a great atmosphere and really keeps you on your toes.  I think if I had played through it slowly I would have liked it more.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:26:30 PM by bombatomba » Logged

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 10:59:11 AM »

Has there been a change as to how the podcast is "assembled" now?  I listen on my iPod Touch on the podcast app and the interface is different and as soon as you close the app the audio shuts off.  Your older podcasts didn't do this and the other podcasts I listen to do not do this.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »

Has there been a change as to how the podcast is "assembled" now?  I listen on my iPod Touch on the podcast app and the interface is different and as soon as you close the app the audio shuts off.  Your older podcasts didn't do this and the other podcasts I listen to do not do this.

early on we had it setup with "chapters", which means you could hit next/previous to jump to the various segments of the show. we decided to remove those for a couple reasons:
1. it more than doubled the filesize of each episode for some reason, and Podomatic has very limited storage space.
2. it actually broke the download versions of the files for anyone not using Apple devices, as chapters are apparently only supported by Apple.

it's unfortunate for those who used the chapters feature, but our thought was that it was excluding other listeners from hearing the show easily, which isn't fair.

that's the only thing (to my knowledge) that changed since the early episodes, at least from our side of things. as for the app itself and it's interface, that would be on podomatic's end and i don't know if the chapters had any effect on that or not, it's possible but unlikely.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »

Is episode 9 acting up for you? The problem could be that I accidentally uploaded an mp4 at first. It's since been replaced with an mp3 so everything should be OK now.

Let us know if you're still experiencing problems.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »

I only participated in the December shmup-a-thon, so by default, I'll have to say that was my favorite.  I would say, had I been here to play through Parasite Eve (great game!) and SotN, it would have been hard to choose, because I love both of those games.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length