RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:17:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Episode #9 - RF Generation Playcast 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Episode #9 - RF Generation Playcast  (Read 17946 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »

Is episode 9 acting up for you? The problem could be that I accidentally uploaded an mp4 at first. It's since been replaced with an mp3 so everything should be OK now.

Let us know if you're still experiencing problems.

That's what I was wondering.  If it was only me or not.  I have the Podcast app on the iPod Touch set to autodownload when the podcast because available.  I'll have to see if I'm able to download the new one.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »

Has there been a change as to how the podcast is "assembled" now?  I listen on my iPod Touch on the podcast app and the interface is different and as soon as you close the app the audio shuts off.  Your older podcasts didn't do this and the other podcasts I listen to do not do this.

early on we had it setup with "chapters", which means you could hit next/previous to jump to the various segments of the show. we decided to remove those for a couple reasons:
1. it more than doubled the filesize of each episode for some reason, and Podomatic has very limited storage space.
2. it actually broke the download versions of the files for anyone not using Apple devices, as chapters are apparently only supported by Apple.

it's unfortunate for those who used the chapters feature, but our thought was that it was excluding other listeners from hearing the show easily, which isn't fair.

that's the only thing (to my knowledge) that changed since the early episodes, at least from our side of things. as for the app itself and it's interface, that would be on podomatic's end and i don't know if the chapters had any effect on that or not, it's possible but unlikely.

It's nothing with the app because all my other podcasts are "normal".  I'm pretty sure it has to do with this particular episode.

SMS set complete!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »

I'm with Sean 100% on Gradius and similar games.  "Thinking about getting a high score too much", "You have to become a perfectionist [instead of just playing the game]"  "If you die you have to reset, that's not fun"  It's like he was reading my mind.
I disagree 100%. You pretty much need to do those things in order to beat the game or get far in it. I don't know who Sean is, but judging by the scores, unless he's MetalFRO, Me, RetroRage, or Banana, then he was pretty terrible at the game regardless. No offense, Sean.

I said it in the shump thread. If you play well, you'll have a good score. Beat the level. Score is the last thing to worry about.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:00:43 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 02:58:10 PM »

Is episode 9 acting up for you? The problem could be that I accidentally uploaded an mp4 at first. It's since been replaced with an mp3 so everything should be OK now.

That's what I was wondering.  If it was only me or not.  I have the Podcast app on the iPod Touch set to autodownload when the podcast because available.  I'll have to see if I'm able to download the new one.

If you had it set to autodownload, then you would have gotten the mp4 version. Try to redownload the last episode, since it is in mp3 format now and let us know whether that works. Sorry for the inconvenience.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »

I deleted the podcast and downloaded it again.  It works as it normally should now.  the .mp4 file must have been causing the problem.

SMS set complete!
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »

I'm with Sean 100% on Gradius and similar games.  "Thinking about getting a high score too much", "You have to become a perfectionist [instead of just playing the game]"  "If you die you have to reset, that's not fun"  It's like he was reading my mind.
I disagree 100%. You pretty much need to do those things in order to beat the game or get far in it. I don't know who Sean is, but judging by the scores, unless he's MetalFRO, Me, RetroRage, or Banana, then he was pretty terrible at the game regardless. No offense, Sean.

I am Shawn, and I am in fact terrible at Gradius. That doesn't mean I can't tell you why I didn't find it to be fun.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

I didn't say you're not allowed to tell me. I disagree with your focus. It seems like you're blaming the high-score competition for the reason you don't like Gradius. No. You just don't like Gradius as a game, period. And that's perfectly fine. I don't think it's that great either.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 03:15:18 PM »

I deleted the podcast and downloaded it again.  It works as it normally should now.  the .mp4 file must have been causing the problem.

Thanks for doing that shaggy. Helps us rest easier knowing that was the issue. We had another member with a similar issue, so hopefully that won't happen again. Wink

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »

I didn't say you're not allowed to tell me. I disagree with your focus. It seems like you're blaming the high-score competition for the reason you don't like Gradius. No. You just don't like Gradius as a game, period. And that's perfectly fine. I don't think it's that great either.

I can't speak for Shawn but since I did agree with his views, I will respond.  It's not that I don't like games that are score based or that I don't like high score competitions, I just don't think about the score when I'm playing.  I've played Life Force/Salamander a whole lot more than Gradius so I'll use that as an example.  

I play Life Force because I think it's fun.  Just playing the game is fun for me.  The music is great, I love playing with a friend, I love the weapon upgrade system, It's just a great game.  I like the game enough that I would totally enter a high score competition and I would totally lose and I'd be totally fine with that.  I just don't think about score when I'm playing, I think about hitting the next enemy or getting the next upgrade.  When my run is done, my score is what it is and I'm fine with that.  The people who take that to the next level and try to find the most efficient ways to the highest scores possible aren't wrong, they just play differently than me, and that's fine.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 03:38:07 PM »

If it's one complaint about modern gaming that I have is that it's too self-centered and individualistic. Community was what made older games great and it's a shame we've all but lost that.

Too self-centered and individualistic. Sounds like you are describing my favorite game genre, The RPG.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »

If it's one complaint about modern gaming that I have is that it's too self-centered and individualistic. Community was what made older games great and it's a shame we've all but lost that.

Too self-centered and individualistic. Sounds like you are describing my favorite game genre, The RPG.

Noooooooooooooooooo, I said "modern gaming" and was referring to how we now either (A) only play alone or (B) only interact and socialize through headsets.  My point is not that it's wrong, it's just a shame that the more communal aspect of gaming is basically non-existent in that sense of personal, face-to-face interaction. Just good memories of going to peoples' houses and gaming as a kid, that's all. Smiley

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 03:57:28 PM »

Yeah, we were talking on the Collectorcast last night about couch co-op, the best kind of co-op.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 05:00:45 PM »

Yeah, we were talking on the Collectorcast last night about couch co-op, the best kind of co-op.

I am liking that term, couch co-op. Heard it being used by another Game Quest customer, when we were discussing co-op gaming.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 07:58:21 AM »

my top was,
1. Phantasy Star
2. Atari Activation
3. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
4. Fragile Dreams
5. Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest

I wish I got to play more games ( or at least finish them )

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 08:38:23 AM »

I made the same mistake. Fragile Dreams was 2013, but who cares, it's an excellent game. If you have Steam Douglie, I'll send over your game.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length