RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:21:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Do you think PC-games belong on this site? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Do you think PC-games belong on this site?  (Read 4005 times)
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« on: April 26, 2005, 03:45:51 PM »

I don't like the current trend to add more and more pc-games to the site. Of course the pc offers some great games, but I don't think the belong on a videogamecollector's. I have multiple reasons for this opinion.

1st PC-games are not collectable, they almost never have much value.

2nd PC-gamers are a different kind of gamers the console gamers.

3rd If IBM games are listed we could go on and on in adding systems like Mac, Linux (or is that also ibm-pc?), Amiga 500, Amiga 1000, Amiga 1200, Amiga 4000, Atari St, Atari XT, Palm, Pocket PC, BBC-systems and so on. It will be an endless way which makes the site worse to navigate and it makes it harder to find the games you search.

But ok I made my point and ask you to give you're opinion.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:56:19 PM »

This is a video game database, and so to me, PC games belong here by definition that they are video games.  We're not basing what gets added here or not on how easy it is to collect them, nor how valuable they are.  If we did, systems like the VIS would have to be removed because it is so difficult to collect them, and pretty much every Mario game ever made would have to be removed because they have no monetary value.

PC gamers are indeed a different kind of gamers than console gamers, but again - this is a database attempting to catalog every game ever.  Should we then cover Amiga, Pocket PC, Mac, etc. as well?  Yes.  Do we have anyone on staff right now that knows enough about them to do a section on them?  Nope.  If we do someday, that'd be great.

And, if computer games ever get to be so big that they do make navigating the site more difficult, have no fear.  We can easily separate the two into different searches.  I wouldn't worry about that happening anytime soon though, since there are all of 80-something PC titles in the site at the time I'm writing this.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 04:39:42 PM »

Good point to bring up.  I agree with what both of you have said.  I don't feel as though PC games are collectible (yet), especially since there are endless numbers of PC games out there.  However, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be part of this database.  Eventually PC games will become more and more collectible, and by that time it would be good to have a large database of PC games readily available.  

As far as Amiga and other such computers are concerned, I think that they should definitely be added to the database.  My gaming system from when I was younger was the Amiga 500 (in Germany).  I don't even see it as a computer, but more as a game console.  Games for it are no longer being produced, which is another reason to add it to the database.  I would be more than happy to start up a listing of games for this system, as my parents should still have a couple hundred disks, if not more (all of them games/originals).  Next time I visit them, I'll make a list of the games (maybe I'll scan some, too Wink).  Smiley

-Speedy
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 04:41:30 PM by Speedy_NES » Logged

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 04:57:50 PM »

I agree with Nep completely.  Even if there isn't a collectibility factor with PC games, they're games all the same, and if this site is trying to catalog every game ever, PC games will have to be included.

- Zac
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 05:22:14 PM »

I don't like the current trend to add more and more pc-games to the site.

Yet they are games. Recently the first few titles for the Adam were added. That was supopsed to be a PC if i am not mistaken. As was the Commodore 64 which is in the database.

1st PC-games are not collectable, they almost never have much value.

Neither is the Game.com, many tiger handhelds or the CD-i (for the most part).

2nd PC-gamers are a different kind of gamers the console gamers.

Yet people play both PC and home consoles and portable consoles and cell phone/pda/other stupid all in one consoles. All of which supply a different kind of game for a different kind of gamer.

3rd If IBM games are listed we could go on and on in adding systems like Mac, Linux (or is that also ibm-pc?), Amiga 500, Amiga 1000, Amiga 1200, Amiga 4000, Atari St, Atari XT, Palm, Pocket PC, BBC-systems and so on. It will be an endless way which makes the site worse to navigate and it makes it harder to find the games you search.

You can chose what system you are searching for already which makes navigation pretty easy. I never have a problem finding the right Mario, Sonic, Mortla Kombat etc game even tho these games cross many consoles.
We could also add the Dragon 32, the Atari 800 and a few others we both have missed.

As far as Amiga and other such computers are concerned, I think that they should definitely be added to the database.  My gaming system from when I was younger was the Amiga 500 (in Germany).  I don't even see it as a computer, but more as a game console.  Games for it are no longer being produced, which is another reason to add it to the database.  I would be more than happy to start up a listing of games for this system, as my parents should still have a couple hundred disks, if not more (all of them games/originals).  Next time I visit them, I'll make a list of the games (maybe I'll scan some, too Wink).  Smiley

-Speedy

Sounds like a plan to me but in the end it is really the big whigs desicion.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 06:33:36 PM »

Yes they should be on the site. I agree with what has been said by the others. Plus I need to add 15 PC games that I have to the site still.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 12:28:17 AM »

Although I agree they belong on this site in theory, in practice it might not be the best thing to do. We still have many unfinished video game lists that ought to be done first, before we expand into different types of games. We're doing enough work as it is, and spreading our attention on more and more different systems, will only result in never finishing anything. I prefer 10 complete lists over 50 half lists.

I don't think it'll be confusing to have all these extra lists, as long as they're good lists. The incomplete lists we have now are probably more confusing than a 100 complete lists will ever be.
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 06:25:30 AM »

While I think they should be added, I also think some additional thought has to be put into how this gets done.  I personally think the problem with adding PC games is the variety of media and OS options available.  When you look at a game like MS Flight Simulator that has been out since the first PC's were introduced and has had versions available on at least 5-1/4", 3-1/2", & CD-ROM with target OSs ranging from DOS 1 to OS/2 to XP and everything in between.  While the media is entered into the database now it's not available in the current search listing and the category of IBM PC does not speak in anyway to the target OS.  There is a lot of gray area involved on these games as well since many packaged versions came with multiple media types and/or ran on multiple OSs.  This is true of other computers as well, I have a couple of games that came with two 5-1/4" dual sided diskettes where each side was for a different type of system (Apple II, IBM DOS, Commodore, & Atari), where the hell do you add that on one list or four?.  Anyway I do think it should be done and a little expansion into these other areas won't hurt in fact may help us gain knowledge for a larger push later on, but I have to agree with Arrr that for now the main focus should be with the console lists we have started.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 06:28:02 AM by bum-man » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 06:25:35 AM »

I don't have a problem with adding PC game either but I do agree with Arrr that our focus should be on completing the lists we already have.

A partial list could be confusing. Maybe there's a way to designate which lists are works in progress. I guess in a sense thay all are as games we missed pop up all the time and the current systems are ongoing but there's a few that are confirmed complete.

maybe simpler designations like: less than half complete, half complete, over half complete, complete and ongoing (for current systems).

just a thought.

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 01:37:17 PM »

yea...pc games are video games too

add anything you can to the site...the bigger the better

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Pop Culture Portal
RFG Friend
United States
Awards: Tournament Winner

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 03:28:14 PM »

As usual for most things in my life  Roll Eyes, I'm on the fence on this one.

PC games are just that...games, which should be included.  However, it would likely be a herculian task in even gathering all the data for PC games, as some have already mentioned.  And you'd probably need a helluva computer to store all that info on.

Additionally, if you want to get down-right geeky about it, from a popular cultural standpoint, it would be historically important in gathering such a list of PC games.  I can't even begin to explain what I'm getting at...just look here for what these much-smarter-than-me individuals are talking about... http://www.game-research.com/default.asp

On the other hand, as some have already mentioned, the different "versions" out there for each game (OS, 'Special Editions,' and so on) make compiling a list even more difficult than it already is.  I'd love to see all of the Atari, Commodore, Amiga, BBC, and others in the list....BUT, it's probably best to finish what you've started, instead of adding more and more to the point where everything is, well, half-assed.  Why not be the ultimate completist (as far as lists go) and make the lists you got the best out there, and then work on adding more in the future (that's just my two cents).

Kinda off-topic, but I've been seeing more and more complete PC games at the Goodwill, most for $1...and I've been very tempted to pick a few up.  These aren't the games you see at Wal-Mart or wherever, these are old LucasArts and Microprose games on 3.5 and 5 1/4 (of course how the heck do I play the 5 1/4?  Go buy an old PC or a 5 1/4 drive for my current PC?).

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 04:24:17 PM »

Also unrelated if you are willing to pay for shipping i have a 5 1/4 drive. Not sure if it works though never had anything to test it with.

It seems everyone on all sides has valid points.
Like PCP said it would be a good idea to get lists finished before starting a ton of new ones.
But generally the new lists get started because the old lists are at a road block.
"New" games that are missing from mostly complete lists still are being added thanks to everyones help.

I think what we could do with the PC games is add them as people submit them. Rather than having a massive list of games noone will own that will take ages upon ages to compile just add what people own so the list will be complete for the members of the site at least.

This may sound like a pretty half assed way to do it but it will ensure that other more managable lists can be completed and people will still get PC games entered.

Kind of a win win situation. Or so it may seem to me...

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 04:45:17 PM »

To quote Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game
Formally, a computer game is a game composed of a computer-controlled virtual universe that players may interact with in order to achieve a goal (or set of goals). A video game is a computer game where a video display is the primary feedback device.

However, in common usage "computer game" refers to games played on a personal computer, while "video game" (or "videogame") refers to games played on a video game console. Both "computer games" and "video games" are frequently used as umbrella terms for interactive game software. To avoid ambiguity, this game software is referred to as "computer and video games".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 04:45:57 PM by IZRET101 » Logged

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 04:48:05 PM »

Kinda off-topic, but I've been seeing more and more complete PC games at the Goodwill, most for $1...and I've been very tempted to pick a few up.  These aren't the games you see at Wal-Mart or wherever, these are old LucasArts and Microprose games on 3.5 and 5 1/4 (of course how the heck do I play the 5 1/4?  Go buy an old PC or a 5 1/4 drive for my current PC?).

I would go for the old PC rather than the 5 1/4 floppy drive, since back then games weren't made with "forward-compatibility" in mind, if you know what I mean.  Playing most of these older games on a modern PC results in the game running at 10x the "normal" speed, if not faster.    

Also, to stay on topic...As someone already mentioned earlier, it is wise to label the lists as complete/half-complete/etc...this way new visitors looking through the PC games database will not leave the site for good with the simple first impression of this site being far from complete (which, of course, it is not Wink).  I would say, differentiate the "far from complete" lists from the more complete lists (highlights of the database).  Look at it like a website...if a new page or feature is added, it is either added in one go once it is finished, or it is added with the remark "Under construction" to let the visitors know that the site's "standards" are a lot higher than they may seem at that point.  Just my two cents...I would elaborate more, but it's almost 3am here, and my mind just isn't working that well atm Wink

-Speedy

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 04:51:21 PM »

I think what we could do with the PC games is add them as people submit them. Rather than having a massive list of games noone will own that will take ages upon ages to compile just add what people own so the list will be complete for the members of the site at least.

This may sound like a pretty half assed way to do it but it will ensure that other more managable lists can be completed and people will still get PC games entered.

Kind of a win win situation. Or so it may seem to me...

Sounds like a good idea to me!  Definitely a win/win situation, especially in the short run Smiley  

"Game software" sounds good Wink

-Speedy

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length