RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:55:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Is you Smart TV spying on you? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Is you Smart TV spying on you?  (Read 5310 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »

I read an article about a Samsung Smart TV that apparently records your conversations with its microphone.

I did notice that when I bought my tv (not a Samsung) I had to agree to some privacy statement- I didn't read it (who the fuck does?), but it wouldn't surprise me at all if I agreed to have Sony listen in on my conversations so as to better advertise to me. The TV comes with a camera but I have it turned so it faces the wall. If there is a microphone on my TV (which I am sure there is), I wouldn't be able to find it.

I just canceled my Netflix streaming service so I'll be disabling the Wi-Fi and I won't have to worry about any privacy concerns but I think people should be aware of these things if they are in fact true.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:58:04 PM »

Just use a "dumb" TV. shrug
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »

Remember, Big Brother is watching.
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »

Just use a "dumb" TV. shrug

It's a 4K TV- I believe all of them are "smart". I turned off my Wi-Fi, so it shouldn't be a problem for me now- if it was to begin with.

I still have a CRT but the f*cker weighs 230 lbs and I just really don't have the setup for it.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »

Remember, Big Brother is watching.

Everything spies on you anymore.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:58:55 PM »

You mentioned having a facebook account. Any presence online means you have already waived all rights to privacy. Welcome to the glorious future.

I'd be more worried about your PC/phone/gaming systems spying than the TV.

Hell wasn't there some big stink about Apple not turning off geolocation even when users said it was off?

Can't you use a fingerprint/thumbprint in lieu of a password on stuff now even? Having prints stored on easily hacked technology is always a brilliant idea.

Chances are rather high that if someone is watching you through your phone or tv or tablet camera it isn't a corporation it is a hacker Wink

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »

You mentioned having a facebook account. Any presence online means you have already waived all rights to privacy. Welcome to the glorious future.

I'd be more worried about your PC/phone/gaming systems spying than the TV.

Hell wasn't there some big stink about Apple not turning off geolocation even when users said it was off?

Can't you use a fingerprint/thumbprint in lieu of a password on stuff now even? Having prints stored on easily hacked technology is always a brilliant idea.

Chances are rather high that if someone is watching you through your phone or tv or tablet camera it isn't a corporation it is a hacker Wink

I couldn't care less about phone and game spying because I don't own a smart phone and the newest game system I own is a Game Boy Advance SP. I know that facebook scans my messages but I don't care that much to be honest. i send messages over facebook, knowing this, and don't say anything self-incriminating.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 01:00:44 AM »

My wife is getting her doctorate in Information Security, and considering my profession...
You can hide absolutely nothing if someone wants to know. Best bet is to keep a low profile, but even then your information is still readily available.

Enjoy life, keep to basic security protocols, and 90% of the time you'll be fine. Know that popular sites and companies WILL be compromised, or are already compromised, and keep an eye out for odd activity.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:02:48 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 01:19:01 AM »

My wife is getting her doctorate in Information Security, and considering my profession...
You can hide absolutely nothing if someone wants to know. Best bet is to keep a low profile, but even then your information is still readily available.

Enjoy life, keep to basic security protocols, and 90% of the time you'll be fine. Know that popular sites and companies WILL be compromised, or are already compromised, and keep an eye out for odd activity.

my problem is legitimate companies actively spying on you to learn about your buying habits- stuff that I am confident is violating the Constitution, and I can say that confidently, not even being close to an expert on the Consititution. I NEVER agreed to have Facebook scan my messages for keywords

what freaks me out is that I see advertisements for boxer dogs when no where in my profile do I say that I have one. I have a picture of him, but no caption, and there's a chance I might've mentioned his breed in a message to someone. I did "like" boxers, so maybe that's it, but I don't see ads related to the hundreds of other things I "liked"

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:34:55 AM »

Checkout the documentary Conditions May Apply.
The gathering and sale of information is a HUGE moneymaker.

This website is likely the only one I visit that does not collect information.
But the bots for the search engines do Wink

Even people who have never used a computer still have a digital footprint thanks to public records being available online.

If you have a gas card, credit card, grocery card, store membership, etc they are monitoring your spending and purchasing habits.

I believe it was AMEX who ended up catching hell for increasing the APR and reducing spending limits on users who swiped their cards at Walmart.
The thinking was if you use to shop at Trader Joes and now have to cut corners at Walmart it is likely that you have taken on a financial burden and are now a higher credit risk.

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 02:28:33 AM »

At least you don't live in China where everyday appliances have the potential to be "bugged" with small electronics that try to tunnel home through your wifi network.

http://www.dailymail.co.u...rted-kitchen-gadgets.html

it's thinking
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 01:03:46 PM »

I live alone and rarely talk on the phone. Sony will get some pretty boring conversations that I have with my cats, I guess.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »

I expect you will be getting pet insurance and cat food/toy related ads very soon.
Tongue

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »

If that is the case, I will be receiving ads for junk food and hydroponic supply stores Smiley

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »

Just listen to any "local" rock station and you should be getting ads for the latter anyways lol

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length