RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | This is why RFGeneration is a better place to be than Nintendo Age 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: This is why RFGeneration is a better place to be than Nintendo Age  (Read 5699 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: January 11, 2015, 06:54:43 PM »

http://nintendoage.com/fo...tid=5&threadid=141030

(read the whole thread)

a lot of the NES "celebrities" avoid that site like the plague for this reason- Pat the NES Punk, the Game Chasers, and I'm sure there's others.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:02:31 PM by gbpxl » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:15:29 PM »

nintendo age is pretty good if you really want to find detailed information, but the community attracts more trolls because it's more than twice the size of rfgeneration. 20969 members there compared to 8748 here, we've got more of a small town feel.
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »

nintendo age is pretty good if you really want to find detailed information, but the community attracts more trolls because it's more than twice the size of rfgeneration. 20969 members there compared to 8748 here, we've got more of a small town feel.

I think you are right but I also just feel that NA is the go to place for game snobs. I've only been here for a short while but I have yet to encounter anyone I consider to be snob-ish. I think that the VGA thing is really popular there and no offense to anyone who's into VGA, but I think encasing your video game in plastic slab so that it can't be opened or played is a little... different...

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:13:36 PM »

I think you are right but I also just feel that NA is the go to place for game snobs. I've only been here for a short while but I have yet to encounter anyone I consider to be snob-ish. I think that the VGA thing is really popular there and no offense to anyone who's into VGA, but I think encasing your video game in plastic slab so that it can't be opened or played is a little... different...

VGA itself isn't a bad idea, because it's (usually) only used on sealed games that collector's will never open anyway, so you may as well keep it really protected. what's stupid about it are the people who bump up the price of their game by hundreds or thousands of dollars just because it's in a VGA box.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:26:01 PM »

I wouldn't paint NA with such a wide brush. I have quite a few good NA buddies that I hang out with when I can, and they are some of the most down to earth people around. Are there some jerks over there? Sure. Are there plenty of great folks? You betcha.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »

Some people can be huge babies online. If asking for advice were really a big problem, they could just sticky a FAQ post.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »

I like NA, I don't go there all that much really, since this is my home, but they do have very helpful people there. Despite what that thread represents. The people I have interacted with have all been very inviting and nice.

I think that all or most forums have a few people who just seem to be elitist and mean when others ask for help.  I haven't met any of those people here at RFGen.  But, y'know sometimes I wonder if that person is me.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 11:17:51 PM »

...just throwing this out there, but Dain of NintendoAge reached out to us when we started having site problems last year and offered to help us if it was a database problem, even going through some optimization techniques. We dug deep and realized it was a machine issue with failing hard drives and poor technical support, but the offer is still open should we ever need it.

NintendoAge, if even just due to its size, is a much harder environment to "control". Many of us know each other on first-name basis here, but with such an active community at NintendoAge, you lose a lot of that familiarity and the behaviors that anonymity begets start to get entrenched.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 12:35:26 AM »

...just throwing this out there, but Dain of NintendoAge reached out to us when we started having site problems last year and offered to help us if it was a database problem, even going through some optimization techniques. We dug deep and realized it was a machine issue with failing hard drives and poor technical support, but the offer is still open should we ever need it.

NintendoAge, if even just due to its size, is a much harder environment to "control". Many of us know each other on first-name basis here, but with such an active community at NintendoAge, you lose a lot of that familiarity and the behaviors that anonymity begets start to get entrenched.

Very True

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 12:37:44 AM »

Damn...I try soooo hard to be a snob too...Wink

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 01:14:25 AM »

NA is good people.
Shout out to my big spending Nintendo homies.

Wish i had more to sell you guys.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:36 AM »

That's for sure - those NA people know how to spend!

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 11:45:14 PM »

someone at NA was comparing the collecting hobby to his experiences as a cyclist- he basically said that when he was riding a souped-up bicycle with fancy riding gear, etc, everyone was really friendly to him but when he was riding a POS bike, no one really acknowledged him.

I don't want to be the negative nancy here so I won't say much more but I do think that NA is the go-to place for the "elite collector". It seems to me like some people just take this hobby way too seriously, when it should just be something fun. I don't see why anyone would look down upon someone just entering the hobby when they all have the same love for the games.

I've spent way more than I should have on games and I've been collecting and purging off and on for the last 10 years or so. if someone is just now getting into collecting, I am more than happy to answer any questions they have and I like that young people are into the classics.

cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 12:01:18 AM »

if someone is just now getting into collecting, I am more than happy to answer any questions they have

THIS is what makes RFGeneration a great place to be.  I've always had good experiences here with so many people.  People are always willing to help with just about anything you need.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 06:33:04 AM »

I only go to NA to buy stuff. Way more in their sales thread.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length