RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:39:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | 999 - Modern Playthrough - February 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 999 - Modern Playthrough - February 2015  (Read 24564 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »

999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors is a puzzle/visual novel for the Nintendo DS. You must use critical thinking to overcome the challenges and gain freedom in this cult classic.

Considering the nature of this game and the high importance of replayability this playthrough will be structured differently than previous months. The game can be finished in 5 to 10 hours for your first run of the game. Subsequent runs can be finished quicker. 999 has multiple endings, but only one "true ending" and as such each week's goal will be to achieve a new ending with the final week being devoted to earning the true ending. Getting a head start on this might be helpful and feel free to use YouTube or walkthroughs if you ever get stuck.

Platform
Nintendo DS

PRO TIP!
Keep track of your progress by taking notes. This will help you later on. Jot down puzzle solutions, clues, important dialogue, and endings.

Checkpoints
Week 1 - Play the game and earn your first ending
week 2 - Earn your second ending. Start putting the pieces together/formulating theories

Participants
douglie007
EngineerMike
Fleach
Raidou
singlebanana
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:34:40 AM by Fleach » Logged

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »

Coming Soon? Has it changed from 999?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:28:48 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:38 PM »

It hasn't. I just made this thread to remind me to fill in the details for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:28:55 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:45:27 AM »

I'm in of course.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:04:40 PM »

Just read the OP. Curious how to bank my time for this one. Howlongtobeat.com gives 9 hrs to beat it. I might start next week to dip my toe in.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »

I figure if you put in an hour or so each day you should finish in time. You could probably marathon through it but that might not be the best way to experience the game. It might be possible to double up this month and play both games but that'll require serious time management as LttP clocks in around 15 hours (or 1.5 if you speedrun it Wink ).

Regrading the challenge of 999, just think outside the box and keep a pen and paper by your side. This game is going to break the fourth wall so hard it'll spill out onto your desk. The puzzles and "amnesia trope" are very reminiscent of Cube.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »

My copy of LttP is lent out, and 800 klicks or so, away.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:52:20 PM »

Just read the OP. Curious how to bank my time for this one. Howlongtobeat.com gives 9 hrs to beat it. I might start next week to dip my toe in.

I've already played through the entire game recently. First playthrough took about 5 hours. This is the type of game that takes multiple playthroughs to find the "best" ending and only getting the best ending will show the entire story. The second playthrough will take you about 3-4 hours, and the remainder will be quicker, since you already know the majority of the puzzles and you can speed through dialogue you have already seen. Also, some endings come pretty quick (before you see all of the game), so some of your playthroughs will be shorter. My advice is to play through the game every week and if you don't get the best ending by the final week, consult a walkthrough on your last play for advice on generating it.

Don't let a guy who works a full-time job, has an hour+ commute, and two young kids outplay you. Wink
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:54:31 PM by singlebanana » Logged

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:00:36 AM »

The only thing that makes the game long is that it has lengthy dialogue scenes. It's possible to beat the game in a week.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »

The only thing that makes the game long is that it has lengthy dialogue scenes. It's possible to beat the game in a week.

Yes, short puzzles and lots of talky-talk. As I mentioned, once you complete an area and finish the game, you are allowed to skip dialogue quickly on subsequent playthroughs, if you have already seen it.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »

I just got the game, so lets do this

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »

I just got the game, so lets do this

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »

Great to see you, douglie! Have fun with this one. If you like a good thriller you'll love 999.

I got my first ending tonight. Not going to say anything until February first for fear of spoilers. All in all, great first playthrough and I'm so hyped for the next runs towards the "best" ending.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:06:20 PM by Fleach » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »

What was your total time Floyd? Just think that it may help others plan out their time for the week.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »

Where do I go to see my play time? I expect it to be around 6 to 8 hours because there were times I left the game running to think about a decision, cook/eat, etc. I was so hooked that I couldn't put this game down today.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length