RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:06:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015  (Read 60244 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »

Congrats Ghost! Beating Moldorm is really satisfying. What strategy did you use?

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »

Monday morning. Early. I'm just waiting for the rest of the house to wake up so I can start playing.

I'm going to see how much I can play through today, I'm all set for a long day of gaming  Smiley

Essentially, I can talk about and post pictures of anything up to the first checkpoint right?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »

I'm really jealous of you guys up North who are snowed in and getting to game today.....

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »

You're not counting me in with the snowed in people are you? It's 51 degrees, 99% humidity with 100% chance of precipitation today. In other words, it's drizzling off and on with overcast skys, like most every day here.

I get to game because I took this week off work  Smiley
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »

Got a little past the first checkpoint.

Something I like to do against Moldorm is stay near the bottom and against that wall. He should have a hard time pushing you off to the left or right.

This game is fantastic. The dungeons are genius - they are difficult, but not because you get lost in a boring, mindless maze. The map is easy to understand but it's the switches, floor traps, high and low platforms on one screen, obstacles that require the dungeon treasure, etc. as well as the classic Zelda dungeon mechanics that make it tricky. LttP is a strong puzzle game in this aspect.

@Banana - Don't count me in either. I got snow, freezing rain, and rain. Everywhere you would need to walk is a marsh of frozen slushy water. My socks are soaked and I'm at work Sad
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:27:59 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2015, 10:32:58 AM »

I'm really jealous of you guys up North who are snowed in and getting to game today.....

I still have to go to work. Sad

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2015, 11:43:23 PM »

I can't help myself, count me officially in. I'll be playing via the Wii U VC for now, though I may look for a copy this weekend when I'm in a larger city with a couple game shops.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2015, 12:21:08 AM »

Being new to this playthrough thing, I think I get to talk about stuff up to the first checkpoint now. I'm not sure though.......

I started playing this morning. I played more than half of this game years ago but didn't finish for some reason.

Waiting for the others in the house to wake up so I could start playing today was tough. I wanted to get started right away.

Clearly someone had to go.....

I have no idea who BSM and JIM were but we managed to make room for the newest hero of Hyrule.

Before all that I spent nearly an hour hunting down the one SNES controller extension I have. Sitting on the couch wouldn't have been possible with just the standard controller cable. It was seriously at the bottom of the last box I had to look through. That was supposed to be the last non-playing thing I had to do. Eventually I found out you have to use the 'start' button to play LttP, who knew?  Roll Eyes     That button has always been sketchy on either of the two controllers here. This time they weren't working at all. So I had to take apart a controller and fix it. A long time ago I started cleaning out every new-to-me used game item I brought home. The SNES arrived before that I guess....

I think someone spilled pop on this at one point.

ICK!

Notice the color coding for the buttons? Interesting. They are also keyed so each of the four are different, you can't swap the places of the two purple ones with each other or the two lavender ones.

Back to the game finally..........this happened at some point.

I even got a bad picture of that boss you guys were talking about. It wasn't that he was hard, it was the falling down to the next floor that made him annoying.

So I got this thing. Yay!

Actually I'm now about 1/3 of the way through the game. I played well past that point today too. We'll see how far I get tomorrow.....
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:28 AM »

Congrats Ghost! Beating Moldorm is really satisfying. What strategy did you use?

I just went all out, doing the holding the button down thing and then going straight back at him as soon as I hit him. I was very aggressive. I ended up not even seeing his "angry" form for the last hit, I got him so fast.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2015, 01:05:12 PM »

Being new to this playthrough thing, I think I get to talk about stuff up to the first checkpoint now. I'm not sure though.......

Yeah, typically we only discuss things up to the current checkpoint.  Since LttP is a shorter game and many people are already ahead of the first checkpoint, I imagine it will become a free-for-all before too long.  Wink

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2015, 11:42:59 PM »

Well I'm calling it a night as far as gaming is concerned today. Started LttP yesterday, I've got 6 of the 7 (no spoilers, but they're blue), nearly all the equipment (I think there are two more items) and all but three hearts.
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »

I've finished the game, just now  Smiley

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
Re:
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2015, 08:39:19 AM »

Look at you having tume to play Smiley im just now getting the last pendent to get my sword

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2015, 10:32:33 AM »

Ha! I only have time to play because I'm on vacation. That's actually why I made the big push to get done with it because I know I won't have time later.

I've finished all the achievements for this playthrough too.

The only other Zelda game I've played much of is the first one. In that game the Master Sword is mostly a late-game item. Link to the Past has you acquire it much earlier in the game. From a storytelling perspective, what does that do? If your character gets "the most powerful item" from the first story in the series early on, does it lessen it's impact?
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »

In this game specifically I like that you get it earlier on because the enemies are nothing but a nuisance that serve no purpose except to slow you down when you actually want to explore and solve puzzles. I like being able to spam that very powerful projectile to clear a room quickly.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length