RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:26:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Retro Playthrough - February 2015  (Read 59883 times)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »

It is my honor to have been asked to join the ranks of the Playthrough Committee and bring you the Retro Community Playthrough for the month of February 2015.  I couldn't have asked for a better game to kick off my hosting duties.

Released in 1992 for the SNES, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is the third installment in The Legend of Zelda series.  After the more experimental Zelda II: The Adventure of Link on the NES, A Link to the Past is a return to form for the series.  Improving upon the already excellent original game in many ways, A Link to the Past established many series conventions that would be utilized in many of the later Zelda games.

Platforms
SNES
Game Boy Advance
Virtual Console

Checkpoints
Week 1 - Obtain the Master Sword
Week 2 - Complete the Swamp Palace
Week 3 - Complete the Ice Palace
Week 4 - Finish the game

Note:  For the purposes of the weekly checkpoints, the Dark World dungeons are done in their proper order as they are numbered on the world map.  The dungeons do not necessarily have to be completed in this order.

Achievements
1.   Get attacked by a swarm of angry chickens!
2.   Find Chris Houlihan’s Top Secret Room (not accessible in GBA version)
3.   Upgrade the Boomerang to the Magic Boomerang
4.   Upgrade to the “1/2” magic meter
5.   Fully upgrade your bomb (50) and arrow (70) capacity
6.   Obtain all 4 bottles
7.   Obtain the Bombos, Ether, and Quake Medallions
8.   Obtain the Golden Sword
9.   Obtain the Cane of Byrna
10.  Obtain all heart pieces and containers

Participants
Addicted*
cverz2 (1, 3, 5)
Disposed Hero* (1-10)
douglie007 (1, 3)
ericeskapade
Fleach
GrayGhost81* (3, 5, 6, 7, 9)
Gredler
JerryGreenwood* (1-9)
MetalFRO
nupoile* (1-10)
russlyman
singlebanana* (1, 3-9)
Wempster
zcrich01
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:01:22 PM by Disposed Hero » Logged

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »

I'm in. Never played the game. I'm playing the Game Boy Advance port and so far I love it. A few hours in and I haven't had that dreaded "what the hell am I supposed to do next?" feeling. That's a big deal for me.

A side benefit is I've been wanting to play something, anything on the GBA since I found an SP 101 at my local thrift store months ago, then Zagnorch was nice enough to send me a charger just for asking, then I got a headphone adapter. So yeah, it's nice to take a break from the 3DS/Vita cycle I've been on for a while.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »

I played this game many years ago and am excited about revisiting it.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »

I didn't know this was ported to the GBA. It's also on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console. That's how I'm going to play. Smiley

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »

I have both the GBA and the SNES versions. However, I've never actually played this game much further than the very beginning sequence. I'm not sure which version I will play, but adult me is excited to give it a try, as kid me was not much on Zelda games as a general rule.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »

I love this game. My favorite in the franchise. I have played this game a ton of times and beat it lots. I let my cousin borrow my copy, along with some other retro classics, so I will not be joining. Hope everyone appreciates this game as much as I do. Have fun guys!

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:10:51 PM »

Feel free to follow the thread and put in some thoughts next month Mike. Smiley

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »

I am absolutely in.  This game is on my pile of shame and I can't wait to cross it off.
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »

I'm in. I think we have the GameBoy port at work. Never played that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »

I'm Back Smiley ill be doing some zelda

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 02:48:03 PM »

I am absolutely in.  This game is on my pile of shame and I can't wait to cross it off.

You use that as your avatar and haven't played this game??  EGADS SIR!........ but seriously, happy to have you along to experience it with you for the first time. Cheesy  Be sure to post your thoughts on it through the month of February.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »

Started playing. Got through the first dungeon. Looking forward to playing this with everyone.

I have to confess that I've watched many speedruns of this game and many more playthroughs. A good friend and I beat it when we were 10 (well, he beat it actually since it was his game) but I'm excited to finally say that I've played and finished LttP.... Even if it's on the Virtual Console.  shrug

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »

You use that as your avatar and haven't played this game??  EGADS SIR!........ but seriously, happy to have you along to experience it with you for the first time. Cheesy  Be sure to post your thoughts on it through the month of February.
I have played this game a few times but I never got close to finishing it.  This next month will be it.
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »

Count me in.  This will be my first Community playthrough.  But, This is quite possibly my favorite game of all time.  Can't wait to get started.  Will be playing on my SNES
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:01 AM »

Awesome, glad you're joining us this month!  Try to make it a regular thing.  Smiley

Looks like we're gonna have a good crowd this month.  I'll be interested in hearing what you first-timers think of the game and if you love it as much as those of us who have played it before.

I've already started the game and am at the entrance of the third dungeon.  Of course, I spent plenty of time exploring the world and collecting items and upgrades also.  Smiley

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length