RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:20:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | hidden gems for ps2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: hidden gems for ps2  (Read 6653 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 09:45:45 PM »

Shadow Hearts is my all-time favorite RPG series. If you have a chance to play any of the four of them, I suggest you go for it. (I count Koudelka for the PS1 as a Shadow Hearts title). I haven't played the last game yet, but the first two on the PS2 are definitely gems. So many different ways I could describe just how great they are on every level.

calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »

I love Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts Covenant- Really great games

Love the .hack series both chapters and I love the anime tie-in

Both Baldar's Gate games and Champions of Norath- You want to play these with someone but they can be fun solo

Radiata Stories- Really wish there had been a stateside sequel

Atelier Iris-This is where the whole Atelier fad began

Dark Cloud-Build houses and other things in a RPG

Gadget Racers-A fun little racer with Micro cars and you can really deck them out with all kinds of fun attachments.

Jade Cocoon 2- If you did not play the first one, a cross between Pokemon and Monster Rancher

La Pucelle:Tactics- A fun strategy based RPG

Rogue Galaxy-Another great level 5 game and one of my favorite games on PS2

Steambot Chronicles- This game to me was a lot of fun, a steam world with robots to build and fight
Confiusion
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »

Finally, Tony Hawk's Underground is the best Tony Hawk game ever made. Not a hidden gem at all, but everybody should play this!
And Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 is the best Tony Hawk game ever made Wink

And talking bout thps i played 2-4 and thug 2 and i loved that jackass theme quite a lot
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 09:56:05 PM »

I love Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts Covenant- Really great games

If they had the storyline of the first with the gameplay and pace of the second, I dare say you would have a top 5 all-time RPG on your hands.

kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 06:25:08 AM »

The heavily photoshopped guy in my avatar comes from Suikoden V, so check that out.

Egbert! and i never even noticed =D also, seconded.

Ace Combat series has it's followers but they were never on my radar. picked them all up a year or two ago and realized i had been missing out on one of the best experiences vidya had to offer.

Bully is not hidden by any means either but it's rarely brought up anymore when talking about rockstar's catalogue. maybe because it was released as the new generation was rolling in but i'd say it's the only other rockstar game on par with san andreas.

Drakengard is easy to underestimate when you don't have Nier to look forward to. game is ugly and below average technically, but held up by a strong directorial hand. it's a wholly unique experience by an auteur who just dgaf.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is pretty good for a cheap tie-in game. probably hit or miss for most people but if you like the series this is worth seeking out.

Grandia II is an early jrpg ported from the dc. series never really got much attention but my memory of it is a bland, predictable story with cam clarke and the voice of the little mermaid that's just servicable enough to spice up your time between epic bossfights with one of the very best turn-based battle engines i've seen in a jrpg. suikoden 3 tried something similar but failed at it.

Kengo: Master of Bushido. "emergent" is the word used nowadays for the fun i had with this one. cheap spiritual successor to bushido blade, it's got a lot of good ideas in there executed kinda poorly and not really tied together in any meaningful way. but it's a great way to waste some time if your imagination can fill in the gaps.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories. i hated kh2 and one of the biggest reasons was that it seemed to expect me to know everything that  happened in the un-numbered GBA spinoff. playing this in the HD remix betwen replays of 1 & 2, this is my favorite kingdom hearts by a long shot. i didn't think i'd even be able to stomach the card-system but it turned out to make for an excellent challenge. spent half a day, maybe 20+ retries to beat the final boss and still enjoyed myself.

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. it was a long time ago but i remember having a ton of fun with this one, carrying prisoners around under enemy fire while trying to get to en evac zone. haven't played just cause yet but it looks like a more zany version of this.

Shadow of Memories/Shadow of Destiny is a weird, linear puzzle adventure game trying to be something more. a friend handed it to me at the used games section and we pointed and laughed at the abysmally ugly cover with floating heads. then i picked it up as a joke and also; why not, it's konami. it's hard to get into but i ended up sticking with it for 100% completion and loving the twists and turns the story took. original has a shitty early 2000s dub by nobodies +Charles Martinet, psp version is supposed to be better but i'm getting kinda sick of hearing Yuri Lowenthal in every role ever.

Suikoden V is my favorite Suikoden next to the second one.

cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »

Silpheed: The Lost Planet is one of my favorite PS2 games.  It's like Zanac (NES) on steroids.  Definitely worth picking up and playing if you liked Zanac.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »

Silpheed: The Lost Planet is one of my favorite PS2 games.  It's like Zanac (NES) on steroids.  Definitely worth picking up and playing if you liked Zanac.

Plus, the case is also awesome. One of my favorite PS2 artworks.

cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »

Plus, the case is also awesome. One of my favorite PS2 artworks.

Yeah the artwork is pretty cool.  That is what originally got me into this game. It caught my eye, as it stands out among other PS2 games. Plus this game can be purchased for under 10 bucks. SO it's a win-win.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »

I would also recommend checking out this thread on NeoGaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/for.../showthread.php?t=1003732

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »

I would also recommend checking out this thread on NeoGaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/for.../showthread.php?t=1003732

That's a good one. There's also this:

http://www.racketboy.com/...d-playstation-2-ps2-games

and this:

and this:

Pages: 1 [2] Print