RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Gamestop taking and selling PS2 again? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Gamestop taking and selling PS2 again?  (Read 4792 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:59:41 PM »

https://games.yahoo.com/n...epting-ps2-141200138.html

This is some awkward news, but I do remember reading that the store was planning on getting back into the retro market. Maybe this is a first step, by taking down the 500 pound gorilla in the room they can see what magic they can work with the little floor space they have?

I also wonder what this could do to prices, and if some random companies might do some limited reprints?

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »

they're accepting $25 trade-in for the system? is it even worth much more than that at market value?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »

I'm sure Konami and Square Enix wouldn't mind reprinting, AGAIN.

Fragems
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »

I wish the .hack series would get a reprint  laugh. Still need part 4 of the first series and wouldn't mind picking up the G.U. trilogy but they have gotten pricey.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »

they're accepting $25 trade-in for the system? is it even worth much more than that at market value?

$25?  Probably.  Granted, I haven't done an ebay FMV, but I imagine complete with neither box or games it should me more than that.  I know I couldn't get a complete Slim shipped for that, and you know GS takes that kind of thing into account.

This makes me wonder just how far GS is willing to take this.  Will they dip their toes back into the 8 and 16-bit cartridge market?  Imagine if they made a deal with a Famiclone maker and branded one a GameStop Retro Console.

On the other hand we can look forward to GS doing another PS2 fire sale sometime in the near future.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »

Some Konami reprints would be awesome though!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »

As someone who has had a gazillion PS2s pass through his hands, I'll say I'd take $25 for one in a heartbeat.

I'll also take reprints of absolutely anything, value of my Rule of Rose be damned (though they ran into copyright issues the last time they tried that one).

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »

As someone who has had a gazillion PS2s pass through his hands, I'll say I'd take $25 for one in a heartbeat.

I'll also take reprints of absolutely anything, value of my Rule of Rose be damned (though they ran into copyright issues the last time they tried that one).

The caveat is that we're not talking $25 cash. It's in-store credit...In cash, they'd probably pay $15 or something...which I'd still probably take for the 1 or 2 extra PS2s I have lying around.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »

Yeah, I don't mind Gamestop bucks.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »

I have an extra couple I have been wanting to throw up on eBay, but avoided it for shipping costs. The value on them has been dropping, and the last time I checked, they were going for about $40-$50 on eBay loose. $25 is a hell of a deal to avoid the paypal fees, eBay's cut, and having to ship the damn thing.

Hopefully they keep going backwards and start accepting games, and maybe even the DC and 'Cube to help balance the value of those items.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 11:16:40 PM »

I could do with some more Final Fantasy variants Cheesy .  I would like to see this in Australia, as I don't have all the PS2 games I want yet.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »

Part of me would be glad to see this, and part of me would be disappointed.  I've been picking up PS2 games, most CIB, at a regional pawn shop for $2 a piece, and at my regional Goodwill stores for $3.25 each.  Of course, they're all priced that way, regardless of condition or completeness, so I'm only buying CIB games, unless I see one I "have to have".  GameStop getting back into it could elevate those prices again, though I'm not sure if that's the case or not, because half of the PS2 games they've sold in recent years are disc only, so who knows?

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »

I spoke with a Gamestop employee the other day (who may not know any more than you or I, but just imparting what she told me), and I asked if they were going to begin taking in the games as well at some point. She said it was her understanding that the PS2 console exchange was a test run, and that if it does well, they'll begin taking in games for it. If that then does well, they'll move on to another system.

She said their eventual vision is to open a series of retro game shops...so basically, they'll re-open Funcoland style locations that they never should have closed anyway....but their prices will absolutely affect the market for older games the same as it does for current gen stuff now.

I kind of hope it doesn't happen to be honest.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 11:46:38 AM »

I spoke with a Gamestop employee the other day (who may not know any more than you or I, but just imparting what she told me), and I asked if they were going to begin taking in the games as well at some point. She said it was her understanding that the PS2 console exchange was a test run, and that if it does well, they'll begin taking in games for it. If that then does well, they'll move on to another system.

She said their eventual vision is to open a series of retro game shops...so basically, they'll re-open Funcoland style locations that they never should have closed anyway....but their prices will absolutely affect the market for older games the same as it does for current gen stuff now.

Possible response to games trending towards digital distribution as of late?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »

Possible response to games trending towards digital distribution as of late?

Most likely. They have to find a way to remain viable and the national leader in game sales even with the shift to limited physical release/ease of digital access. Plus, with the growing nostalgia/popularity of the older games amongst the video game generation, it makes sense for them to try to dip their toes in. Their test approach is smart. Start small and see if the market is there. It will undoubtedly make it even more difficult to find good deals on games, because lots of people will just start trading their old stuff to gamestop instead of private sales/listings...ultimately they'll have a lot of control over market prices if they go full on with retro game sales...could be a good thing if it brings down the prices of some of the very expensive games (for newer collectors), but probably not.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length