RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:54:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Paper Mario - Retro Playthrough - April 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Paper Mario - Retro Playthrough - April 2015  (Read 16635 times)
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »

Smiley Im sucking this year, I haven't finished any of the playthroughs, but I will still sign up Smiley just encase I do Smiley

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »

I would like to participate in this, but I have a qualifying question first: I've been casually working on this game over several months, just playing through a chapter at a time every few weeks.  Can I just pick up where I'm at and play along?  Would that be cool?  I would like to actually finish this game at some juncture Smiley

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 05:03:28 PM »

I don't think it matters when you start it, just that you're participating...

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 05:04:14 PM »

Not a problem. Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »

Sweet, count me in!

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 11:34:35 AM »

The checkpoint for Week 1 has been added to the OP:  Complete Chapter 2

We may have underestimated the length of this game, and it may be tough for most participants to finish the game within the month.  As such, I encourage everyone to go ahead and start the game whenever you're ready.

Have fun!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »

Checkpoint #1 reached. Anyone else started yet?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »

We may have underestimated the length of this game, and it may be tough for most participants to finish the game within the month.  As such, I encourage everyone to go ahead and start the game whenever you're ready.

Have fun!

not sure if i mentioned already but it took me around 30 - 35 hours to beat it last year, it's not a short game by any means but not unreasonably long either.

i just finished the prologue in thousand year door, for those new to this series if you ever go from the first game to the 2nd you'll be really happy you did them in release order. it's great to see how things have improved and all the new things they added Smiley
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »

Reached the checkpoint.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »

Reached the checkpoint.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!  Glad you're playing Mike. Thoughts so far?

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »

This is probably my third or fourth time playing this game. I have always liked it, as it is the spiritual successor to SMRPG. The fight mechanic is easy as soon as you figure out timing. I also like the Mario and Luigi handheld series.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »

I should probably just hook up an N64 in my computer room...

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »

Have fun!
not sure if i mentioned already but it took me around 30 - 35 hours to beat it last year, it's not a short game by any means but not unreasonably long either.

As you all know, Disposed and I always play ahead for these playthroughs in order to set the checkpoints and because we typically record the podcast during the middle of the month. As of last night, I've collected the last captive star and am on my way to Bowser's Castle. As you can see, I'm just over 20 hours into the game and pretty sure I'll only have two more hours to play at most. I've finished/been working on a few of the side quests during this time as well and my time includes delivering all of the letters, finishing the Dojo, and doing a good portion of the Koopa Koot fetch quest. I think that howlongtobeat states 24 hours, and I believe this to be pretty accurate in terms of my gameplay. So if you haven't started yet, don't let the time commitment scare you away.

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/F1BBD366-E5AB-4EB7-93A0-215402FFF623_zpsyidmaj5t.jpg[/img]

It looks like Disposed has put up the second check point, so let's discuss our thoughts on the game so far through the 2nd Chapter.

Please be sure to check the achievements. We have added a few more since Week 1. I have completed achievements #'s 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, & 14. Wink
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:47:41 AM by singlebanana » Logged

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »

Thanks for the info, Rich!  I'm getting pretty close to the end of Chapter 6, and I think my total game time is about 17-18 hours so far.  ~25 hours seems like a good estimate for completion.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »

hmm maybe my memory was foggy on how long it took me, i'll check my file tonight and see what it was when i finished
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length