RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:54:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | JVC X'eye repair diary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: JVC X'eye repair diary  (Read 4409 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: March 27, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »

I figured it might be interesting to document my adventure with repairing my new X'eye that has no video output. So, let's start with day 1.

Day 1:
Bought the X'eye, took it home to test it.
It powers on, and both the Power and Access LEDs work!
Wanted to finally start playing some Sonic CD so I hooked it up through the male to male RCA jacks.
Audio outputs fine, I can hear the X'eye BIOs audio, but there's no video. Eventually Sonic CD boots up, CD reading works fine.
Remove Sonic CD and test the cartridge slot. Same issue, audio works through both RCA audio outputs, but no video.
Grab a 9 pin Genesis RCA cable and test that video output slot. Still no video, but audio works through this as well.

Assumptions: Some issue exists along the video circuit. I don't have a full circuit diagram for the X'eye so I'm basically going to poke everything with a DMM.

[img width=700 height=525]http://i.imgur.com/bg8QJhJ.jpg[/img]
Guts of the JVC X'eye.

Day 2:
Stealth mission for my DMM is a success!
Quick DMM advice for anybody looking to start DIY circuit repair. Don't get a cheap one. Get a fused one. A cheap non-fused one can blow up in your hand or on your desk. A fused one will just blow the fuse if you hook it up wrong.

[img width=700 height=933]http://i.imgur.com/gxGhyvM.jpg[/img]
I have a really nice Fluke meter.

Google fu brought me to this topic on Assemblergames that lists all the X'eye capacitors, their capacitance, and voltage rating. Bookmarked!
https://www.assemblergame...24-JVC-X-EYE-video-repair

After poking around at all the caps and doing some math there are a few that are some caps giving out bad readings. It seems lucky that everything but the video output works. Next plan is just a full cap replacement. It seems like a good idea and while I'm at it I'll replace my Game Gear caps. This will be quiet until mail day.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:13:32 PM by SirPsycho » Logged

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »

Very interesting!  I have an X'Eye that I use as my main Genesis machine, and it's worked great for the last 14 years, so fingers crossed, but I'll be very interested to read more about what you find.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »

Update?  I'm curious how this turns out.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:11:30 PM »

If it matters, MetalFRO, the X'Eye can't play Jurassic Park (SCD). One of those "oddities" of owning an X'Eye.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:52:17 PM »

If it matters, MetalFRO, the X'Eye can't play Jurassic Park (SCD). One of those "oddities" of owning an X'Eye.

It can't be played on a CDX either.  Don't know why it doesn't work.  Eye of the Beholder is another one.

SMS set complete!
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:39:12 AM »

Yeah there are some compatibility issues, but most console revisions have some weird problems like that. I'm just waiting on caps in the mail, I spent too much money a couple weeks ago, so I didn't even order them until this last Friday.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:09 PM »

Interesting to note about Jurassic Park and Eye of the Beholder.  Interestingly enough, however, it will play CD-R copies  laugh

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »

It looks like certain systems won't play certain games, but others will. I've seen scattered reports about 6+ games mentioned here:
http://www.sega-16.com/fo...7ee609e54a7f9f01cd35c312e

I know a friend's CDX won't play Jurassic Park, which is unfortunate since it was the reason he picked it up.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 06:17:38 PM »

It looks like certain systems won't play certain games, but others will. I've seen scattered reports about 6+ games mentioned here:
http://www.sega-16.com/fo...7ee609e54a7f9f01cd35c312e

I know a friend's CDX won't play Jurassic Park, which is unfortunate since it was the reason he picked it up.

Yea, I tried it on my CDX and was really excited for it.  I believe it played but the graphics were very distorted.  I was disappointed about it because I was never able to try this game out.  Eye of the Beholder was another I was excited about but couldn't play.  Luckily, I played and beat the PC version.  I'm assuming the versions were the same.  I think Eye of the Beholder wouldn't even boot up on a CDX.

SMS set complete!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »

Jurassic Park would boot and hang on the first transition for my friend. He borrowed my SCD Model 2 to play through it.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »

Fix it yet?

SMS set complete!
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 03:25:55 PM »

Fix it yet?

Can't solder right now. My soldering iron for work is stuck in the back of a truck halfway across the USA. I was planning on a solder station for home with tax return money, but mine took too long and were fudged up. I have to spend my days twiddling my thumbs and waiting for my amendment.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length