RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:53:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | GameStop officially going retro again 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: GameStop officially going retro again  (Read 8359 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »

Yes, but the cover is a disgusting yellow with red text, and it's confusing - he's supposed to be tearing himself out of the NES cartridge:
[img width=423 height=473]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-027/gs/U-027-S-07250-A.jpg[/img]

I talked to the employees at the newest GameStop here, and they heard the news about retro trade-ins. I jokingly mentioned what Duke said about someone having a rare game traded in and quitting rather than take the trade, and the response was "A rare retro game? Oh, like .hack?" Guys - we're seriously living in a world where the common customer now considers PS2 retro, and .hack is considered rare. Seriously, .hack is "rare" and "valuable" enough to quit over?!

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 09:25:39 AM »

Really, quit your job over .Hack?? Quitting your job over a Silent Service trade in is a given though

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »

I'd totally quit my job over Ben Franklin and a few of his buddies. Especially since I can earn that in a day! Jackpot!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »

Granted some .Hack games are worth some cash, but maybe my worries about insightful GS employees making off with rare NES games are overblown after hearing that.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »

Granted some .Hack games are worth some cash, but maybe my worries about insightful GS employees making off with rare NES games are overblown after hearing that.

"Insightful GS employees"?? Say what?!?!?!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:56 PM »

It makes me wonder how little they're actually being paid.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »

Peanuts. That's what. I have two good friends that worked at GameStop (actually how we became friends). Their pay was shite, they took a lot of garbage from corporate, and the job just plain sucked. Most GS customers are complete idiots too which didn't help matters.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »

At one time (back in the Funcoland days) you would be fairly well off, but that was in the age of commission.  It was dog-eat-dog at times, but what sales job isn't?  You could learn how to sell and still manage to keep your soul.  Plus back in the late '90s nobody shopped at Funco during the summer vacation months, so it was a cool two or three months of getting paid hourly for playing games.  Now the only incentive to work there is the "rental" policy.  I don't shop at Gamestop anymore, but that is purely based on principle on their corporate policies.  If I want a retro game I'll use the RFG network.  If I absolutely need it I'll go get ripped off at the local game shop instead of GS, where I don't have to say no to a million different pre-order offers.

It just hit me:  Since GS will be going retro soon that means they'll start with the game cleaners again.  Anyone remember those times?  And you thought the lines moved slowly now.  Just wait until you get two or three cleaning demos in a row.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Pat & Ian were discussing this subject on their latest podcast and they brought up an interesting point. Gamestop isn't entering a video game market they are entering a collectors' market. This brings with it a whole lot of different rules. What is there to stop anyone from creating repros of Earthbound or Metal Warriors and selling them as real?

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 08:23:38 AM »

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Pat & Ian were discussing this subject on their latest podcast and they brought up an interesting point. Gamestop isn't entering a video game market they are entering a collectors' market. This brings with it a whole lot of different rules. What is there to stop anyone from creating repros of Earthbound or Metal Warriors and selling them as real?

I found that discussion to be very interesting as well. Here's that particular conversation if anyone is interested:

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 09:14:10 AM »

^^ This is probably a good assessment of this whole debacle.  Unless they're going to start rolling out retro games in physical locations so people can see what's available and pick items up off the shelf, I don't see this being successful for them.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 11:06:37 PM »

Yes, but the cover is a disgusting yellow with red text, and it's confusing - he's supposed to be tearing himself out of the NES cartridge:
[img width=423 height=473]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-027/gs/U-027-S-07250-A.jpg[/img]

I talked to the employees at the newest GameStop here, and they heard the news about retro trade-ins. I jokingly mentioned what Duke said about someone having a rare game traded in and quitting rather than take the trade, and the response was "A rare retro game? Oh, like .hack?" Guys - we're seriously living in a world where the common customer now considers PS2 retro, and .hack is considered rare. Seriously, .hack is "rare" and "valuable" enough to quit over?!

I feel your pain, there's a consignment shop here and the old-dude running it (he has a stall up front by the register) wanted like $200 for a Slim PS2 and like six or so dirt-common games. it was a lot that I'd guess he'd be lucky to squeeze $75 out of.

Yeah though, even the upper-end .Hack games (mainly the Rebirth ones) are only worth like $50 AFAIK. It's nothing to scoff at, but I wouldn't call it a holy grail by any reasonable measure.

On topic, I can see this screwing up the market and making VERY HARD to find anything in the wild because most people are going start dumping their stuff there instead taking it to Goodwill or messing with Pawnshops and Yardsales.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »

I guess it was only a matter of time....

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:59 AM
Howdy all, long story short - I ordered a copy of Chrono Trigger from Gamestop and they sent me a cart with a Madden 95 chip inside. Buyer Beware, GS ain't checking what they're selling.

https://www.cheapassgamer...-by-gamestop-retrogaming/

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2015, 08:23:11 AM »

That was quick. I was expecting it to be a bit until people took advantage and swapped the circuit boards.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2015, 07:46:19 AM »

I would love to see this and all the soon to come gamestop fails compiled in one place.

See also Chris Kohler's copy of Splatterhouse 2...for the Sega Mega Drive LOL.

http://twitter.com/kobunh...status/638877842336432128

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length