RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:34:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Great Super Famicom Games that Never Made it to the States 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Great Super Famicom Games that Never Made it to the States  (Read 2964 times)
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »

Been curious about the Super Famicom lately.  Looking for suggestions and recommendations on great games that never made it to the states and don't require a ton of reading Japanese to enjoy.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:05:43 AM »

What types of games do you typically enjoy most Bil? Shmups, platformers, puzzle games, etc? Unfortunately, I usually rule out recommending RPGs due to the language barrier, though I am sure there are some great translations out there for many of the good ones and I assume some may be patched for the Retron 5.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 09:07:24 AM »

What types of games do you typically enjoy most Bil? Shmups, platformers, puzzle games, etc? Unfortunately, I usually rule out recommending RPGs due to the language barrier, though I am sure there are some great translations out there for many of the good ones and I assume some may be patched for the Retron 5.

I like shooters that are relatively easy cause I'm a baby.  Life Force, Salamander, Legendary Wings Style.  Platforming, puzzle.  Love Tetris Attack and Arkanoid 2.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the Super Fami, but here are some games I can recommend and think you should at least check out videos on. I'm a big shmup guy, so sorry for the suggestions if you are not:

Adventure/Platformers:
The Firemen
Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventure
Do Re Mi Fantasy
Magical Pop'n (expensive)

Puzzle:
Sutte Hakkun (IMHO a very cool and must have puzzle game)
Araiguma Rascal: Racoon Rascal

Shmups:
Marchen Adventure Cotton 100%
Sonic Wings (released in the U.S. as Aero Fighters, got my copy for $15, super expensive US release)
any games in the Parodius or Twinbee series
Dezaemon
Flying Hero
Spriggan Powered

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »

Great start, Thanks!

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »

If you have a Retron 5 the Fire Emblem games have fan translations. Mike has said good things so far.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »

Did Rich change his name to Mike? Wink

Also, don't be mad at me, but I've played 30 minutes of one Fire Emblem game and I wasn't into it.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »

I thought The Firemen was just called Ignition Factor here in the states?

CKsGallery
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »

Crabby, can you elaborate a bit on the Retron 5 patches? Been looking at picking one up. For example if I put a Fire Emblem cart in the system there will be an option to translate to english?
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »

I thought The Firemen was just called Ignition Factor here in the states?

The Japanese title of Ignition Factor is called Fire Fighting. It looks similar to The Firemen but it's a different game.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »

Did Rich change his name to Mike? Wink

Also, don't be mad at me, but I've played 30 minutes of one Fire Emblem game and I wasn't into it.

I meant that Mike (EngineerMike) has said good things about the Fire Emblem games played with the translation. He picked them up recently to play on his Retron 5.

Crabby, can you elaborate a bit on the Retron 5 patches? Been looking at picking one up. For example if I put a Fire Emblem cart in the system there will be an option to translate to english?

Not exactly. You have to find a fan translation online and save it to your SD card. From the SD card you can run the translation while you're playing the game on your Retron 5. Most of the popular games have fan translations, but some of the more obscure titles you might have trouble finding a good translation patch.

PS - I'm mad at you for not liking Fire Emblem!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »

There's a little more to it than that and involves downloading files and using the SD card. Not too complicated:

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:48:13 AM »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification

CKsGallery
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 01:33:27 PM »

Thanks for the help, been looking for a Retron 5 for around the $90 to 100 mark, but may just have to suck it up and get one now.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »

Thanks for the help, been looking for a Retron 5 for around the $90 to 100 mark, but may just have to suck it up and get one now.

Yeah, I don't think they are going to hit that mark for quite some time. Sellers are paying more for them than that. Saw a boxed one at Goodwill the other day for $155. Ha!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length