RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:00:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Shelving/storage 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shelving/storage  (Read 2496 times)
kl0wn
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »

I'm trying to find the best shelves to show off my collection of games/dvds/blurays. Is it best to build my own? Is there a popular shelving unit that people buy?

I'm guessing it'll vary per the size of room etc, just trying to get some opinions.

Thanks!  Smiley
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »

Welcome to Rfgeneration first off.  If your looking at shelving I would build my own.  L1 games on Youtube has his gameroom build up and he does an excellent job across mutiple videos showing you how to build nice shelves. 

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »

Billy bookshelves from IKEA are a mainstay for collection shelving as well.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »

Billy bookshelves from IKEA are a mainstay for collection shelving as well.

I agree, pretty good quality, and can fit a lot of stuff. Adjustable shelves make them ideal for different sized boxes.

kl0wn
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »

Thanks for the input, those IKEA shelves look nice, I may pick one up to see how I like it...
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »

I just bought cheap CD/DVD and book shelves. The sort that are dirt common and you can buy at Walmart or whatever. I then assembled them but putting the top of one unit on upside down. Dowel pins hold em together, so you can stack em. I made doors with plexiglass, adding small hinges to hold them on to the shelving units. Kept the dust off nicely and looks a bit cleaner overall.. Here are some photos so you can get the general idea...

All of these are TWO shelving units, stacked as I said:

Same with the white bookshelves here, two units stacked. Cheaper to buy that way than one large one (read below):

With the white ones, I learned my lesson a bit. If you assemble one shelving unit ENTIRELY upside down, you can stack em with dowels and it'll give you an extra shelf. These units come with a small "board" that fits across the bottom so there's no space at the bottom. I did not install that, hence the extra space once stacked. I learned that lesson after that photo was taken so you can't see what it looks like... It looks like one solid unit though, like it was meant to be that way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:21:15 PM by Antimind » Logged

A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:47 PM »

Search edt1138s video on cheap effective book shelves  they do they job  cheap effective and u can paint them any color u want

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »

Right now I have a "dirt common" Walmart bookshelf to hold most of my stuff (I like that phrasing, Antimind), though it can't hold everything, and I have loose Genesis carts, as well as PSP and PS3 games in boxes under my bed.  I'm planning on re-doing my media closet where I keep my CD collection, so that when it's all done, I can have 2 walls dedicated to my CD's, and one dedicated to just game storage.  I'm planning on using the wall-mount rails similar to this, but with wood shelves:

That way I can size every shelf height for the kind of box or cart I plan to locate on each one.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:02:30 PM »

MetalFRO, you mean like this?

It's not bad, but it doesn't really scale well:

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »

I built my own. There are pictures of them in my profile. Also the Bob series of shelves at Ikea I have heard are good.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length