RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:03:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 31 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 31  (Read 37236 times)
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »

I guess this is a really relocatable topic.  It's like a Fleach Blog post with all these responses.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 05:18:43 PM »

Final Fantasy XII - I also got pretty close to the end of this one.  The game got ridiculously hard for me in the later parts, and this was probably because I didn't really make use of the gambit system at all.  I plan to go back sooner or later and replay this one, but I'm still holding out hope for an HD remaster.

You really have to master the Gambit system to do well in this game, but once you do you can really tear through it. It's very heavy in strategy.

Great lists everyone. I'm glad everybody is enjoying this topic!

retrosportsgamer
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »

Could have also been Xenoblade Chronicles. They talked about that one for a while, its a jrpg for the Wii and Im pretty sure Dukes is sealed

In my case, it was Last Story  (just got through the Xenoblade part), but you're correct - they both do sound the same in that regard.

Mod @racketboy , twitter: @brad21126

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »

I have the feeling that my list may make a few of you weep, but here goes:

Mischief Makers (N64) - I had always heard great things about this game and was really excited when I heard Jamie had chosen it for a playthrough over a year ago. If you listened to the December 2014 podcast, you know my feelings on this game. Hate, hate, hate the controls and just to wild and "bouncy" for me. I pride myself in finishing the playthrough choices, and I just couldn't do for this title.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PSX) - Yet another playthrough that I just couldn't get into. I loved the story and the idea behind it, but the fact that you had to pull off quick and stealthy maneuvering with terrible controls really killed if for me. Never felt bad about putting this one down.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS) - I like the premise and thought it was going to be this old Perry Mason, lawyer/detective, get-them-to-crush-under-their-pressure-on-the-stand type game and in essence, it is, but having to object at just the right time was annoying and became quite the guessing game. I got bored of this game really quickly.

Trace Memory (DS) - I really like this game and intend on picking it back up. I was on a role finishing 999 and Hotel Dusk late last year and early this year and popped in Trace Memory after them. I think I just had too much of this style and wanted to move to something different. Great story, fun game, and intend to finish (you can breathe a sigh of relief Crabby).

Earthbound (SNES) - Was super excited to play this game after hearing so much about it and missing out on it when I was younger. But....... made it through 4-5 towns and put it down. I think the lack of a moving/constantly evolving story and the "kiddie" concept kind of grated on me. I couldn't finish it, but perhaps I'll try again some day. I haven't completely written it off yet.

Shadowrun (Genesis) - I know this game gets a lot of love, but man is it frustrating. You die constantly in the beginning and have to repetitively do the same runs, over and over and over and over and over again to earn enough coin to better your character. I know there are quicker ways to run this game, but this title is not for the easily frustrated. Plus, it is super complicated, especially inside the Matrix.

Crystalis (NES) - A NES RPG I missed out on in my youth. Didn't make it very far before I put it down. Not really a grabbing story. Not completely writing it off yet though.

Final Fantasy (NES) - Yes, I have never finished the original FF. I completely neglected this title growing up even though I was a big Dragon Warrior fan; I even missed out on the SNES FF titles. The first FF game I played was FF VII. I popped in this game about 3 years ago and made it over half way through, but couldn't push myself to finish. I guess I'm getting older and not so much a fan of the grind that I use to be. I will finish this one.

Castlevania 3 (NES) - Yep, sorry Duke. This is the only title in the NES trilogy that I have not completed. I know this is a favorite of many of you, but I just cannot get into it like I can the other 2 games. I have a copy of Akumajou Densetsu coming in a few weeks (props to senseiman), so perhaps this will rejuvenate my desire to hand the final NES Dracula sprite his demise.

Streets of Rage 3 (Genesis) - I so desperately wanted to finish this game and gave Disposed Hero a pretty good run for his money in the December 2013 King of Rage Challenge, but I just couldn't do it. This is by far the hardest one in the Genesis trilogy and the difficulty is such that I will probably never finish it. Oh well.....

A Boy & His Blob (Wii) - This is one of the most beautiful hand-drawn games I have ever played. It has great mechanics, puzzles, platforming and everything I love in a game. Yet........... I never finished it and I have no idea why. I would love to do this game as a Community Playthrough one month.

Resident Evil 2 (PSX) - This was the first RE game that I played and actually, the last.  My college roommate and I bought this game when it came out and planned on playing it together. Needless to say, he got obsessed with it and my gameplay got really limited to his finishing. I watched him frustratingly struggle through it and just ended up feeling like beating it just really wasn't worth it. I'm not a big fan of the survival horror genre as you can probably see from my collection. I loved Parasite Eve though and perhaps the difference in game mechanics was why it was so much more appealing to me.  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:18:00 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »

I'm with you on Abe's Oddysee Rich.  Loved the concept and the first few levels.  I just couldnt stick with it.

Resident Evil 2 is an interesting one.  I had never played or heard of resident evil.  I was walking by Babbages in the mall and they had a tv in the windows playing some gameplay from it.  I was hooked immediately, had never seen anything like it.  Bought the dual shock version and loved it.  Took a while to get used to tank controls but once I did, I was a maniac at that game. 

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »

I have the feeling that my list may make a few of you weep, but here goes:

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PSX) - Yet another playthrough that I just couldn't get into. I loved the story and the idea behind it, but the fact that you had to pull off quick and stealthy maneuvering with terrible controls really killed if for me. Never felt bad about putting this one down.

Crystalis (NES) - A NES RPG I missed out on in my youth. Didn't make it very far before I put it down. Not really a grabbing story. Not completely writing it off yet though.

Final Fantasy (NES) - Yes, I have never finished the original FF. I completely neglected this title growing up even though I was a big Dragon Warrior fan; I even missed out on the SNES FF titles. The first FF game I played was FF VII. I popped in this game about 3 years ago and made it over half way through, but couldn't push myself to finish. I guess I'm getting older and not so much a fan of the grind that I use to be. I will finish this one.

I cannot believe this!  Crystalis is awesome, I loved that game.  Oddworld, I couldn't put down until I beat it.  I loved figuring out the puzzle on each screen.  And Final Fantasy, well that says it all!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »

Believe it. Wink

As far as Abe's, I'm not alone in my feelings toward that game. Just check out the community playthrough tread. The game is cute and has a great concept, but the controls are complete s@%t. They are clumsy and often you have to be in a perfect spot to enable them, such as when you have to jump up and grab platforms. This really blows when you have to act very quick and it takes an enemy a fraction of a second to spot and fire on you. It's a frustrating game to say the least.

As I said, I'm not completely writing off Crystalis yet and will finish Final Fantasy at some point. I didn't feel that either of these games were bad, but there was nothing overly exciting about them that made me want to rush home every afternoon and play them. Depending on my mood or what's going on in my life at the time, certain games can have a poor initial effect on me if they aren't they type that really suck you in. 

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »

oh no...i've lost track of what the last Collectorcast episode that i listened to was. i think i might be on 27 or 28, but i have no idea...guess i'll start there and see if i recognize it or not. about to work on cleaning more games, haven't done that in a long time other than new ones that have come in. the collectorcast is my go-to podcast for keeping me entertained while doing this mind-numbing project! gotta save them for when i'm in the cleaning mood.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »

Believe it. Wink

As far as Abe's, I'm not alone in my feelings toward that game. Just check out the community playthrough tread. The game is cute and has a great concept, but the controls are complete s@%t. They are clumsy and often you have to be in a perfect spot to enable them, such as when you have to jump up and grab platforms. This really blows when you have to act very quick and it takes an enemy a fraction of a second to spot and fire on you. It's a frustrating game to say the least.

As I said, I'm not completely writing off Crystalis yet and will finish Final Fantasy at some point. I didn't feel that either of these games were bad, but there was nothing overly exciting about them that made me want to rush home every afternoon and play them. Depending on my mood or what's going on in my life at the time, certain games can have a poor initial effect on me if they aren't they type that really suck you in. 

I feel you about having to be in the right mood for certain games.  As for Abe, I didn't have too much of a problem with the controls...except for his little sliding/stutter when moving/stopping.  That was annoying and would kill me plenty of times.  For me, figuring out the puzzles I think outweighed this annoyance.

SMS set complete!
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »

I do the DEW! Voltage for me.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 11:51:34 PM »

@techwizard: Glad we can keep you company while cleaning.

@singlebanana: Rich, Rich, Rich... c'mon man. Castlevania III/Akumajou Densetsu is easily the star of the NES trilogy. Hard as nails, but worth it. The Famicom cart's music if amazing.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:28 AM »

@singlebanana: Rich, Rich, Rich... c'mon man. Castlevania III/Akumajou Densetsu is easily the star of the NES trilogy. Hard as nails, but worth it. The Famicom cart's music if amazing.

I don't think Rich has taste when it comes to games. Tongue

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 07:50:59 AM »

Of course I have taste. Good taste.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »

Of course I have taste. Good taste.

Tastes like chicken.

SMS set complete!
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 07:59:08 PM »

In Rich I trust.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length