RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:09:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August Retro Vote: Star Tropics or Little Nemo? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Which retro game do you want to play in August?
Star Tropics   -3 (33.3%)
Little Nemo: The Dream Master   -6 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: August Retro Vote: Star Tropics or Little Nemo?  (Read 4852 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:28:28 AM »

Floyd is having a hard time deciding which game to choose for the August 2015 playthrough, so we've decided to turn it over to the community for a vote. Help him decide by choosing one of the two options above. The poll will run for 14 days, at which time the results will be revealed. You are only allowed to vote for one game and are allowed to change your vote during the two weeks.  Thanks!

For your consideration, here are reviews from CGR for both games to help you decide:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:23:51 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »

If it ends up being Star Tropics, Crabby and I need to finally take on our standing contest for a speedrun. I vote Little Nemo though, as most people haven't played through that gem (as much as I like Star Tropics).

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:32:18 AM »

If it ends up being Star Tropics, Crabby and I need to finally take on our standing contest for a speedrun.

Ooooooh! That is quite tempting. I'd like to hear from your competitor and maybe you guys could do some promo, "call out" wrestling videos for us. Wink

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:03:54 AM »

Man, that's a hard choice!  I have both, and haven't played through or completed either.  I've played more of Nemo, if only because a friend had it when we were kids, but really, either would be awesome.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »

Man, that's a hard choice!  I have both, and haven't played through or completed either.  I've played more of Nemo, if only because a friend had it when we were kids, but really, either would be awesome.

So now you understand our dilemma. Ha! Whichever game doesn't get voted in will still go on our suggestion list and more than likely be played at a later date.  We're good with playing either of these, but thought it might be fun to get a little community input.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »

CGR Reviews added to initial post to help if anyone is unfamiliar with these games.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »

Well, at the least the Little Nemo review doesn't hold back - the stages are definitely hallucinations, and always were intended to be, since Nemo was feverish.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »

I'm pretty torn on this one.  On the one hand, I've played StarTropics before, and it's a great and unique game.  On the other hand, I've never played Little Nemo, but I've heard good things about it.  And as luck would have it, I don't own either game...

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »

I have a second copy of StarTropics that I could send you along with Mega Man 2, but I'm not sure if the battery needs to be replaced.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »

I'm pretty torn on this one.  On the one hand, I've played StarTropics before, and it's a great and unique game.  On the other hand, I've never played Little Nemo, but I've heard good things about it.  And as luck would have it, I don't own either game...

I beat both games as a kid and I can say that no matter which you pick, you'll have a fun month.  We considered doing both, since they are short, but neither game is especially easy and may take new players some getting use to. I'd say both games are must owns for any NES collector and can be had for a good price.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 11:49:07 AM »

For StarTropics, there is a physical "letter" that came with the game that is essential to passing through a section of the game. If you don't have a copy of the letter, or don't want to damage the one you own, I'll provide the information when it comes time in a spoiler tag.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »

For StarTropics, there is a physical "letter" that came with the game that is essential to passing through a section of the game. If you don't have a copy of the letter, or don't want to damage the one you own, I'll provide the information when it comes time in a spoiler tag.

Yep, I distinctly remember dipping my letter as a kid and thinking that it was the coolest thing ever. Still remember the code as well. Wink

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »

I have a second copy of StarTropics that I could send you along with Mega Man 2, but I'm not sure if the battery needs to be replaced.

I appreciate the offer, but I'll just try to snag both games from ebay in a lot.  I'll take any excuse to add a handful of NES games to my collection.

I'm pretty torn on this one.  On the one hand, I've played StarTropics before, and it's a great and unique game.  On the other hand, I've never played Little Nemo, but I've heard good things about it.  And as luck would have it, I don't own either game...

I beat both games as a kid and I can say that no matter which you pick, you'll have a fun month.  We considered doing both, since they are short, but neither game is especially easy and may take new players some getting use to. I'd say both games are must owns for any NES collector and can be had for a good price.

I remember StarTropics being pretty tough, and since I played it on an emulator before, I even had the luxury of save states.  Playing it legit should be a nice challenge.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »

StarTropics saves pretty often as-is - there's a particular dungeon though that's a huge pain in a graveyard.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »

NEMO.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length