RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:28:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Golden Axe Series - Retro Playthrough - July 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Golden Axe Series - Retro Playthrough - July 2015  (Read 26355 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »

Coming your way

Thanks buddy!  That will complete my boxed copy, so I am very stoked.

My buddy Cameron came over again last night and we played some more Golden Axe and Golden Axe III co-op. We made to to Death Adder again in the first game, but for whatever reason, we just can't get him down. A few questions if I might:

Last night, I let Cameron deal with the adds while I took on Death Adder. We were mildly successful for a while, but the skeletons never died and DA started spamming magic to where we couldn't even stand up.

(1) Are the skeleton adds that accompany him defeatable?

(2) Is there a certain time limit that you have to kill him in before he starts spamming magic?

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2015, 09:04:33 AM »

I made my first real attempt at playing through the Genesis version of Golden Axe last night, but I encountered one technical problem after another.  I have a ton of Genesis controllers lying around, some I'm pretty sure I never used before, so it turns out that the B button doesn't work on the first controller I tried.  No big deal, as soon as I discovered that, I just plugged in another controller.  The second controller's D-pad isn't very responsive.  I wasn't sure if it was the controller or if the game just felt like that, so I stuck it out and kept using it until I got a Game Over.

When I started the game again, I decided to try a different controller just in case, and lo and behold, the difference was night and day.  I was actually able to reliably dash this time!  So I'm doing fairly well on this playthrough, and then I encounter the section at the end of one of the later levels where the skeletons start rising up out of the ground.  What I think happened is that one of the skeletons just said "Screw this!" and walked off the screen, so I couldn't kill him.  So I waited around for a couple of minutes, hoping that by some chance he would come back, or maybe he would walk off a ledge and kill himself or something and the level would end, but it never happened.  I had no choice but to turn the game off.  *sigh*

Anyway, I'll give it another shot this weekend.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 10:35:02 AM »

(2) Is there a certain time limit that you have to kill him in before he starts spamming magic?

(1) No, they are invincible
(2) No, he only uses magic when he knocks you down. He will throw down the yellow electricity, but that's avoidable.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »

(1) No, they are invincible
(2) No, he only uses magic when he knocks you down. He will throw down the yellow electricity, but that's avoidable.

Thanks. I figured the skeletons were invincible. The problem I am having with this magic is that he repeatedly uses it while I am on the ground and there is no way to defend that.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 11:20:50 AM »

Also, I wanted to mention that if anyone is having trouble making that big chasm jump at the beginning of Stage 8 (I think...), instead of running and jumping as many people suggest, you can run and shoulder charge (press attack while running) over it, which is easier and works better.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »

Also, I wanted to mention that if anyone is having trouble making that big chasm jump at the beginning of Stage 8 (I think...), instead of running and jumping as many people suggest, you can run and shoulder charge (press attack while running) over it, which is easier and works better.

+1.  I used to always try to jump over it back in the day and would end up falling in the chasm until my friend told me to just dash/charge over it.  Definitely the way to go.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »

Yeah, Shoulder Charge is definitely the way to go. When I played the XBLA version, it's the only way I got across.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »

Popped in my recently acquired copy for TurboCD the other day. It's....not that good. I didn't play for long, before it made me want to pop in my Genesis collection on PS3, and play it that way.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »

Did anyone else notice that Tyris' sprite in the 2nd game looks kind of different than the 1st?  In that she has been, erm....augmented?  Isn't it silly that Sega decided to do that?  It actually makes her look stupid, and despite the 2nd game having crisper, better looking graphics overall, I prefer her sprite from the 1st game, because at least she looks like a normal human being.

On the actual gameplay front, I haven't quite been able to reach the end of GA2 with Ax Battler yet.  I need to practice some more and try to make it further so I can actually reach the end boss.  One thing I thought was interesting is the change in the way magic works.  In the first game, it's one and done, and whatever power level you're at, that's the magic you use.  In GA2, it defaults to the lowest level, and you have to hold the button down to charge to the level you want to use.  I think that's a neat mechanic, because weaker enemies can sometimes be taken out with Level 2 or 3 magic, and you can get more use out of the magic ability you have.  I haven't experimented with it much, but it is a nice addition to the magic ability.  It also gives you more reason to use magic, given the 2nd game's more liberal availability and distribution of it.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2015, 07:37:14 AM »

The problem I am having with this magic is that he repeatedly uses it while I am on the ground and there is no way to defend that.
Sure there is. Don't let him hit you. As I said above, he ONLY uses magic when HE knocks you down. I'm not counting the ground pound because that's avoidable.

The difficulty is really unbalanced because of this. The game is extremely easy until you get to Death Bringer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 07:41:44 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2015, 04:01:14 PM »

My end game screen for beating Golden Axe:

[img width=700 height=525]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/DisposedHero/Community%20Playthrough%20Scores/CAM01438.jpg[/img]

...and The Duel:

[img width=700 height=525]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/DisposedHero/Community%20Playthrough%20Scores/CAM01439.jpg[/img]

I was doing extremely well during most of the game, then I got to Death Bringer and barely scraped by.  That whole fight is really cheap.  If only you could kill those damn skeletons....

After using all three characters, I came to the conclusion that I like Tyris the best.  Her running attack is by far the best of all three characters, and it is excellent for crowd control.  Obviously her magic is the best, although to get the full effect you have to use it pretty sparingly, but I think I've figured out the best places in the game to use it.

I also want to mention that the ending to the arcade version of Golden Axe is way better than the Genesis version.  I've always loved that ending sequence.

On to Golden Axe II!

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2015, 07:22:23 PM »

.....and my end game screen for Golden Axe II.  This one was way easier than the first game.

[img width=700 height=525]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/DisposedHero/Community%20Playthrough%20Scores/CAM01440.jpg[/img]

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2015, 08:03:55 PM »

.....and my end game screen for Golden Axe II.  This one was way easier than the first game.

[img width=700 height=525]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/DisposedHero/Community%20Playthrough%20Scores/CAM01440.jpg[/img]

Nice rating, and yes I agree with GAII being easier

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »

Beat GA I.  Tried GA II once, got to level 5.

* IMG_20150710_2334217_rewind.jpg (372.84 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 269 times.)

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

Brought the Death this morning around 11:00 PM. Golden Axe & Golden Axe II down.

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/EC70A262-840E-44FB-BF96-D8593B4B3472_zpswnrdyhrl.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:27:23 AM by singlebanana » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length