RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:24:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Golden Axe Series - Retro Playthrough - July 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Golden Axe Series - Retro Playthrough - July 2015  (Read 26346 times)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »

Brought the Death this morning around 11:00 PM. Golden Axe & Golden Axe II down.

[img width=700 height=522]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/necrom99/Playthroughs/EC70A262-840E-44FB-BF96-D8593B4B3472_zpswnrdyhrl.jpg[/img]

Damn, you must have really messed him up if you stuck him on the ceiling.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:01:09 PM by Disposed Hero » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »

I don't mess around.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2015, 03:30:50 PM »

After using all three characters, I came to the conclusion that I like Tyris the best.  Her running attack is by far the best of all three characters

I agree that Tyris is the best, but I'm not sure if her running attack is any different than the rest of the cast.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2015, 04:15:39 PM »

After using all three characters, I came to the conclusion that I like Tyris the best.  Her running attack is by far the best of all three characters

I agree that Tyris is the best, but I'm not sure if her running attack is any different than the rest of the cast.

In the 1st game, it's a flying kick instead of a shoulder dash, so it's a touch easier to predict when/where you're going to hit an enemy.  Unfortunately, SEGA changed that with the sequel, and she has a shoulder dash like the others.  That was a downgrade, in my opinion.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »

In the 1st game, it's a flying kick instead of a shoulder dash, so it's a touch easier to predict when/where you're going to hit an enemy.  Unfortunately, SEGA changed that with the sequel, and she has a shoulder dash like the others.  That was a downgrade, in my opinion.

Yeah, I just found it much easier to land hits with her flying kick as opposed to the other characters shoulder dash.

Also, she still has the flying kick in GA II.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2015, 08:34:40 AM »

Yeah, I just found it much easier to land hits with her flying kick as opposed to the other characters shoulder dash.

In the 1st game, it's a flying kick instead of a shoulder dash, so it's a touch easier to predict when/where you're going to hit an enemy.

I'll double check that, but I'm 99% sure the hit boxes are identical. It just looks like the shoulder dashes are worse because they are lower to the ground, but I think it's cosmetic. I'm basing this on tons of experience and the fact that this game is very basic in terms of character variety. It's just magic and range of weapon that separates the cast.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:38:17 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 08:11:05 AM »

You know, what finally put me over the edge in terms of beating Golden Axe was mastering the shoulder charge. A good deal of the larger enemies, the Bad Brothers and the Knights were very easy to take down by simply charging them. When I would get two at a time, I would split them and take turns charging them from opposite sides of the screen. Saving my life in these battles, and making better use of the terrain (ledges) ultimately helped me make it to the final encounter with plenty of lives.

How is GA2 going for everyone?  Any noticeable differences to point out?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »

You know, what finally put me over the edge in terms of beating Golden Axe was mastering the shoulder charge. A good deal of the larger enemies, the Bad Brothers and the Knights were very easy to take down by simply charging them. When I would get two at a time, I would split them and take turns charging them from opposite sides of the screen. Saving my life in these battles, and making better use of the terrain (ledges) ultimately helped me make it to the final encounter with plenty of lives.

Yeah, I took advantage of this strategy too.  Very effective against groups of two.

I'm having a hard time deciding which I like more: GA I or GA II.  On the one hand, I feel like GA II has tighter and more responsive controls, and there were some minor gameplay tweaks over the first game that I really like.  On the other hand, there are things about the first game I like more, like the levels, music, enemies, mounts, etc.

As far as GA III goes, this is pretty much my first exposure to the game, but I definitely feel like it's the weakest of the three.  However, after playing it for a while (and checking out a FAQ on the game), it has grown on me a little bit.  The game feels kind of sluggish, but I'm not going to hold that against the game because I'm pretty sure it's my HDTV causing the problem.  The gameplay is deeper than it appears at first glance, and there are quite a few different moves/techniques you can use that you probably won't know about unless you look at a guide of some sort.  I haven't quite finished it yet (got a Game Over on my first attempt, currently on my second attempt with a save state at the beginning of Stage 5), but I have high hopes that I'll beat it on my current run.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »

Yeah, I took advantage of this strategy too.  Very effective against groups of two.

I'm having a hard time deciding which I like more: GA I or GA II.  On the one hand, I feel like GA II has tighter and more responsive controls, and there were some minor gameplay tweaks over the first game that I really like.  On the other hand, there are things about the first game I like more, like the levels, music, enemies, mounts, etc.

As far as GA III goes, this is pretty much my first exposure to the game, but I definitely feel like it's the weakest of the three.  However, after playing it for a while (and checking out a FAQ on the game), it has grown on me a little bit.  The game feels kind of sluggish, but I'm not going to hold that against the game because I'm pretty sure it's my HDTV causing the problem.  The gameplay is deeper than it appears at first glance, and there are quite a few different moves/techniques you can use that you probably won't know about unless you look at a guide of some sort.  I haven't quite finished it yet (got a Game Over on my first attempt, currently on my second attempt with a save state at the beginning of Stage 5), but I have high hopes that I'll beat it on my current run.

I had a hard time deciding between GA I and GA II initially and I agree with your points about the controls. I have to give the edge to GA I for all the reasons you listed and I just think it looks better graphically than GA II.

I really disliked GA III the first time I played it, and even made a rather rude comment about it on my Twitter feed (which I'll get into on the podcast). However, I played it again with my buddy and we really enjoyed co-oping the game together. One of my issues with the game is that I am having to play it on the PS3 Sonic Collection. I'm not certain (and maybe someone can confirm), but I have the feeling that it probably looks better on the original hardware. Unfortunately, the Model 1 I have has the lockout chip. Comparing the PS3 versions of GA I and GA 2 to the original games, I think they look and play much better on the original hardware.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »

I like GA I the best, but I owned it as a kid so I'm playing favorites. I've only played a little of GA II and GA III, but I like GA II a little better.

I usually talk about the music for these play-through games, but I don't think GA I is anything special. No memorable tracks, although I think they fit the landscapes well. One thing that blew me away as a kid was the intro music. On high volume, those drums are amazing and they really catch your attention.
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »

havent had a chance to play this again latley, but def will this weekend. I wanted to add that the campfire scene inbetween levels I can see where Shovel Knight got their inspiration from.  Also that stinks that the PS3 version that im playing is the arcade port and not the actual sega one?? blast

Now your playing with power!
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »

If you're playing on the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, then you're playing the Genesis version.  The Arcade version is downloadable on the PSN.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »

Also, she still has the flying kick in GA II.

You are right, I stand corrected! Smiley

I was playing this a little last night, and I'm having more trouble with it than I thought I would.  I haven't put near as much time into it as I have with the first GA, and of course, I have prior experience with GA from years past, having beat the game on multiple occasions as a kid, so that factors in.  I've noticed that the "angled" approach that you have to employ with a lot of beat-em-ups takes on a more crucial role here than in the 1st game.  Especially with the headless sword-swinging bosses, I found that when I try to use the flying kick/shoulder dash, they jump out of the way, and then I get the smack put down on me.  Rather, I'm having to come at them at an angle, and time my weapon strike correctly so I can get in a couple hits and then maybe throw them or kick them over.  The dash attack works great against the large bull-head dudes, but I found it far less effective against the sword fellas.

@JerryGreenwood - interesting that you mention the music in GA as not being anything special.  I think that may be due, in part, to how subdued it sounds.  The melodies get stuck in my head, but the tracks themselves are just kind of "there".  The "instrument set" used in GA2 is more pronounced and sounds way better, but I find that the tunes themselves aren't sticking with me the way the GA songs did.  Again, this could be because I have years of history with GA, and far less with GA2, but as an example, the only song from GA2 that I can hear in my head long after playing is the ditty that plays during the in-between stages, where you bash wizards for magic books and food.  There's nothing iconic in the 2nd game, music wise, that I've encountered so far.  Also, though the drum intro for the intro/title-screen music is fitting, the later part of the tune doesn't really fit the theme or mood of the game at all, and is kind of goofy.

@Disposed Hero - I had the same thought about the Shovel Knight campfire scene last night as I was playing!  It totally fits, especially since his slumped over appearance mirrors that of Ax Battler quite a bit.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2015, 06:45:14 AM »

@MetalFRO - I get what you mean. It was among the first releases for the Genesis (although so was PS II and I think that's one of the greatest soundtracks ever). It's a little lumpy. The tracks aren't bad, but it's nothing I would listen to in my car. They all have a similar 'warbly' sound.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2015, 03:00:26 PM »

@MetalFRO - I get what you mean. It was among the first releases for the Genesis (although so was PS II and I think that's one of the greatest soundtracks ever). It's a little lumpy. The tracks aren't bad, but it's nothing I would listen to in my car. They all have a similar 'warbly' sound.

I like that 'warbly' sound, but yes I agree I would not enjoy listening to it outside of the game.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length