RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:44:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July Modern Playthrough - Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: July Modern Playthrough - Warhammer 40K: Space Marine  (Read 6833 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« on: June 15, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »

*Gameplay footage courtesy of Triple6Games*

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is a 3rd person shooter that uses both melee and ranged tactics. You play as a squad of Ultramarines headed by Captain Titus and are accompanied by subordinates, Veteran Sergeant Sidonus and greenhorn Tactical Marine Leandros.  The planet, Forge World Graia (devoted to military production) has been invaded by alien Orks and the Forces of Chaos it's up to you and your squad to liberate it.  Though the plot seems simple on the surface, several twists and turns are unveiled that will grab hold you and keep you drawn into the game.  So join us on the modern side this month for what is sure to be some action-packed, balls-to-the-wall, runnin' and gunnin' gaming. 

Participants:
grayghost81
fleach
disposed hero
singlebanana
neo
addicted

Checkpoints:
Week One: Chapters 1-5
Week Two: Chapters 6-9
Week Three: Chapters 10-13
Week Four: Chapters 14-18
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:44:09 PM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »

Yo, I started playing this game a few days ago and it is awesome. God of War meets Gears of War. 'Nuff said. Sign up and show the modern side some love. This game is like six bucks at gamestop.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »

I started playing around with this game a little the other night (......after a 30 minute upgrade...DOH!). I made it through a few events and collected my squad. As you know, I don't play a lot of modern games, so it's taking me a bit to get my bearings. Aiming and shooting is a little touch and go for me at the moment, but I'm getting more and more use to it. The melee combat is a lot of fun. My initial thoughts are that I LOVE it when a giant pack of Orks bust through a wall and charge at you. I'll mow as many down as I can with my machine gun, but the best is then just charging into a large pack of them and beating the living hell of them hand-to-hand.  No jumping is a little aggravating not just in terms of covering terrain, but also in terms of not being able to use it in combat. Oh well, I bet those suits are heavy. Smiley

The wife has the day off and is driving the kids down to my parent's more the week this evening. I'll be hopping on as soon as I get home. Game tag for PS3 is "singlebanana" if anyone wants to send me a request. Just be sure to let me know who you are if your handle differs from your RF Gen profile.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »

Hey. I'm in. I got my copy FROM rfgeneration...lol....No WAY I'm sitting this one out. lol....

There is no Spoon - Neo
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:46:12 PM »

Hey. I'm in. I got my copy FROM rfgeneration...lol....No WAY I'm sitting this one out. lol....

Added you to the list and also put up checkpoints (a game divided into chapters is a playthrough host's best friend).

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:02:05 PM »

Fun game so far. I started about a week ago and have put in two nice sized sessions. I'm around Chapter 9. The story is very interesting so far and I have a feeling it's going to get better. I'm not familiar with the political backdrop of Warhammer 40K, but I think that the game does a decent job of throwing you in and letting you progress with the story arch without much knowledge.  There are a few annoyances in the game (which Shawn and I have discussed back and forth over PMs), but I will save those thoughts for Week 2 so that everyone has a chance to play and will know what I am talking about.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 09:50:53 AM »

Just finished the game. If anyone wants my PS3 copy just pay shipping and it's yours but you have to at least try it and comment in this thread about it.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »

I played this game a while back and it's pretty fun.

The warhammer 40,000 universe is actually one of the best and most expansive science fiction universes ever; but unfortunately receives a lot of disdain due to the "nerdy" tabletop game.

Strategy game fans should definitely check out the excellent dawn of war games on the PC. These are very well regarded in the genre. Also, firewarrior on the ps2 is a pretty good first person shooter. It's also probably the only 40k game that doesn't revolve around the bloody space marines
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »

I played this game a while back and it's pretty fun.

The warhammer 40,000 universe is actually one of the best and most expansive science fiction universes ever; but unfortunately receives a lot of disdain due to the "nerdy" tabletop game.

Strategy game fans should definitely check out the excellent dawn of war games on the PC. These are very well regarded in the genre. Also, firewarrior on the ps2 is a pretty good first person shooter. It's also probably the only 40k game that doesn't revolve around the bloody space marines

I'm pretty sure I have those Dawn of War games on Steam.  I might fire them up sometime when I'm in the mood for an RTS.  I also wasn't aware of the PS2 game.  I'll have to check that out.

I started Space Marine over the weekend.  Not bad so far.  I can tell it borrows pretty heavily from many other modern action games.  The game does a pretty good job of steadily introducing new weapons and gameplay mechanics in the early parts to keep things interesting, but I feel like it may start to get pretty repetitive later on.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 08:20:21 AM »

Just finished the game. If anyone wants my PS3 copy just pay shipping and it's yours but you have to at least try it and comment in this thread about it.

I'll give it a try if you still have it. Let me know what you want for shipping.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »

I'll give it a try if you still have it. Let me know what you want for shipping.

Yep, you win. I'll PM you.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 07:39:34 AM »

@GrayGhost81: PM Sent and thanks!

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »

So, my wife's cousin is a big cosplayer. Her husband, friends, and she make their own highly-detailed costumes and run a group called Foam Corps. I remembered that back in 2013 she did a space marine costume and had to share it here for our playthrough. They take top prize at many of the conventions they attend up North, and I'm pretty sure these designs won a top prize at GenCon 2013.  Pretty BADASS!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:28:08 AM by singlebanana » Logged

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 06:52:37 PM »

That is killer stuff Rich!

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 08:54:39 AM »

Spent some more time with this game last night and completed Chapter 6.  This game is starting to grow on me quite a bit.  It's nothing too special really, but it is a lot of mindless fun.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length