RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Little Nemo: The Dream Master - Retro Playthrough - August 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Little Nemo: The Dream Master - Retro Playthrough - August 2015  (Read 31519 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »

@ Banana - Ah...I am a victim of my own criticism. I wasn't reading, I was only scrolling for pictures  ninja

@ Shaggy & Banana - But, that's why I specifically said "beat this game on the NES". I knew that Russ beat it, but he mentioned that he used save states. If you know how I feel about stage select codes, you can imagine how I feel about save states  yuck

So, am I the only one who beat it on the NES (aka no save states)?  If so, I think I am a special snowflake Tongue

That's right, Russ did use save states.  Shame on you!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »

Shaggy, bunker down. You got this!

I thought the hardest part in the game was the 2nd to last stage, near the top, when you have to pass through the 4 fire spouts and the spores are falling down. It's very important to know your animals hit detection there. Both animals are short enough to stand UNDER the spouts. If you can master that area, you can beat it. I found the last boss to be very easy as long as you have patience.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »

I think it's important to reiterate that the members of the RFGeneration Community Playthroughs don't mind if other participants use save states, codes, walkthroughs, etc.  We all have our own distinct standards on what 'counts' as beating a game, and we would never shame anybody else for not adhering to those standards.  The important thing to remember and the whole purpose of the community playthroughs is that we can all play through a game as a group and share the experience together.  It isn't a competition.

Everybody has their own way of playing a game and getting the most enjoyment out of the experience, and one person's way isn't any more valid than another.  If that involves things such as save states and walkthroughs, then by all means, go for it!  Smiley

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:26 PM »

I think it's important to reiterate that the members of the RFGeneration Community Playthroughs don't mind if other participants use save states, codes, walkthroughs, etc.  We all have our own distinct standards on what 'counts' as beating a game, and we would never shame anybody else for not adhering to those standards.  The important thing to remember and the whole purpose of the community playthroughs is that we can all play through a game as a group and share the experience together.  It isn't a competition.

Everybody has their own way of playing a game and getting the most enjoyment out of the experience, and one person's way isn't any more valid than another.  If that involves things such as save states and walkthroughs, then by all means, go for it!  Smiley

+1

And once again, I see no difference in using a save state to start a level you've already gotten to in order to pick back up where you left off. Sorry, but some of us have families, full-time jobs, etc., and don't have an overabundant amount of time that we did when we were kids. I guess I find it odd that others need some sort of kudos or Internet high-five for playing a game the way THEY think it needs to be played, in this particular instance on the original system and in one sitting. I'm with Disposed, the playthroughs are for having fun, enjoying community involvement, and talking about games; they're not a pecker measuring contest.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »

I never once "shamed" anyone for using save states. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to have my own opinion about them on an internet message board. You don't have to agree with it and I don't expect you to. I've already stated that I know hardly anyone shares my views and that I'm the oddball in this regard. 

Edit- Perhaps I am really lobbying for myself because I want that controller because I only have one working NES controller. Yes, when I saw that controller it became a pecker measuring contest.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:58:44 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2015, 03:01:25 PM »

Indeed you are entitled to your own opinion, and no you didn't shame anyone for using save states.  You did however imply that beating the game on the original hardware without the use of any level select code (which is built in to the game, I might add) was the only legitimate way to beat the game.  That's 100% fine if that's how you want to play the game.  I know you think highly of your gaming skills and take pride in them.  I just wanted to reiterate the point (mainly for newer members or anyone browsing the site/thread for the first time) that it's perfectly fine with us for everyone to play the game how they choose.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »

Yes, but I made it clear several times in that post that it was my own opinion and that I know nobody else feels that way. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I fully admit that when I saw that Nemo controller I turned it into a competition, but how else could I really take it when there is a sweet prize dangling at the end of the month. Maybe I'm way too competitive (with everything in life) and it's a flaw in certain cases.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »

There was never a contest associated with the controller that I ever saw on the threads.  There was mention of something happening the last week of the month, but that's all. Russ joined us for the podcast and just said that he was going to draw a name from the participants, since the spirit of the playthroughs is just to do something as a community. No harm, no foul Jerry. We always appreciate your input on the games we are playing and discuss some of the thoughts you propose on the podcast. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »

I think it's important to reiterate that the members of the RFGeneration Community Playthroughs don't mind if other participants use save states, codes, walkthroughs, etc.  We all have our own distinct standards on what 'counts' as beating a game, and we would never shame anybody else for not adhering to those standards.  The important thing to remember and the whole purpose of the community playthroughs is that we can all play through a game as a group and share the experience together.  It isn't a competition.

Everybody has their own way of playing a game and getting the most enjoyment out of the experience, and one person's way isn't any more valid than another.  If that involves things such as save states and walkthroughs, then by all means, go for it!  Smiley

We're just giving him crap.  Settle down guys.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »

Shaggy, bunker down. You got this!

I thought the hardest part in the game was the 2nd to last stage, near the top, when you have to pass through the 4 fire spouts and the spores are falling down. It's very important to know your animals hit detection there. Both animals are short enough to stand UNDER the spouts. If you can master that area, you can beat it. I found the last boss to be very easy as long as you have patience.

Yea, I know.  Just haven't had the feeling to play lately...  Maybe tonight but I'm not so sure it will happen.

SMS set complete!
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2015, 04:23:20 PM »

Yes, but I made it clear several times in that post that it was my own opinion and that I know nobody else feels that way. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I fully admit that when I saw that Nemo controller I turned it into a competition, but how else could I really take it when there is a sweet prize dangling at the end of the month. Maybe I'm way too competitive (with everything in life) and it's a flaw in certain cases.

We're not offended and we know it's all in good spirit.  There's just been a lot of talk over this sort of thing throughout this thread, and I was just worried that it could leave newer members wondering how we feel on the matter.  I'm just trying to drive the point home that we're generally a pretty laid back bunch, and we're fine with people playing games however they choose.

My post wasn't targeted to anybody in particular, and perhaps I never should have derailed the thread.  Just trying to make it clear where we stand on this sort of thing.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »

I beat this game.  With a stick.  While it slept.

(But I didn't use save states.)

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2015, 08:58:47 PM »

Hey guys! What's going on in the retro...

never mind. Back to the shooty shoots.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2015, 10:47:11 PM »

We're not offended and we know it's all in good spirit.  There's just been a lot of talk over this sort of thing throughout this thread, and I was just worried that it could leave newer members wondering how we feel on the matter.  I'm just trying to drive the point home that we're generally a pretty laid back bunch, and we're fine with people playing games however they choose.

My post wasn't targeted to anybody in particular, and perhaps I never should have derailed the thread.  Just trying to make it clear where we stand on this sort of thing.

Hey, no problem Hero.  Completely understand.  I'm having a bad few weeks so this may have been my fault.  Not the same lately.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »

I beat this game.  With a stick.  While it slept.

(But I didn't use save states.)

Did you sleep?  Or the stick?

SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length