RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:00:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Windows 10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 3096 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »

I don't think i've seen anything about windows 10 on here yet, have many of you tried it? i just installed it before work and had some time to tinker a bit before leaving. overall my first impression is very positive, it seems to perform well even on my nearly 6 year old PC and i like the new look.

some gripes with it that may work themselves out as i get more time to explore the settings. anyone have a solution to any of these?:

- there seems to be duplicate settings for various things...i'm not sure if it's related to upgrading from 7? it has a very "windows 7" looking Control Panel with very unchanged looking wizards and dialogue boxes, but then there's also a bunch of new windows 10 style settings in a completely different area. navigating to the new settings screen isn't straight forward unless you go indirectly to it by right-clicking and hitting settings on something specific. this could just be a case of not wrapping my head around the new layout but at the moment i'm confused by this and will have to do some more research.

- need to find a way to sort the "all apps" section of the start menu by something other than A - Z, i prefer folders seperated from the standalone program launchers.

- i like the search box next to the start button but not that it seems to force you to use Bing, will have to find out a way to change that...even a registry setting wouldn't bother me that much, but if i can't change it i'll have to remove the bar if possible.

- youtube videos are all giving me errors and causing things to "twitch" when i load youtube in Microsoft Edge...anyone else getting that? Chrome works just fine so i switched back but i'd like to give Edge a chance before dumping it for old favourites right away.

that's all i've got for problems off the very top of my head, i'm sure there were other things though. of course i have many PROs too, but the cons are something i'm more interested in discussing as i'd like to find fixes for them.
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »

I don't use Windows 10, but I did try the Technical Preview.

1: Yeah, some things are in different locations. The Control Panel and the Settings app do contain some duplicated settings. I wish they hadn't moved some of the settings to the Settings app. I much prefer the W7 style Control Panel.

2: I don't believe that's possible with the current options.

3: Removing the bar is possible. Right click the task bar > Search > Disabled. As for changing the search... I don't know. Maybe it's tied to Edge's search engine (Which you can find instructions to change that to Google)

4: I haven't tried using Edge for anything other than downloading Firefox. Tongue
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:46:42 PM by mumboking » Logged
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:56:26 AM »

I don't use Windows 10, but I did try the Technical Preview.

1: Yeah, some things are in different locations. The Control Panel and the Settings app do contain some duplicated settings. I wish they hadn't moved some of the settings to the Settings app. I much prefer the W7 style Control Panel.

2: I don't believe that's possible with the current options.

3: Removing the bar is possible. Right click the task bar > Search > Disabled. As for changing the search... I don't know. Maybe it's tied to Edge's search engine (Which you can find instructions to change that to Google)

4: I haven't tried using Edge for anything other than downloading Firefox. Tongue

thanks for the tips! i actually really enjoy the new settings app so far, and i find the control panel feels a bit tacked on as it's out of place when compared with the feel of everything else. i wish they had gone the extra mile and integrated all the control panel settings directly into the new settings app. now if we were to lose any options by losing the control panel, then i'd be upset, but what's there in settings seems just as detailed as most of what you can find in control panel, and there's no reason the "advanced" buttons couldn't be used to show even more detailed options.

i managed to actually watch a youtube video in Edge earlier, but it was still pretty glitchy. at least chrome works Tongue
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:25 AM »

thanks for the tips! i actually really enjoy the new settings app so far, and i find the control panel feels a bit tacked on as it's out of place when compared with the feel of everything else. i wish they had gone the extra mile and integrated all the control panel settings directly into the new settings app.
I just prefer the classic Control Panel. The Settings app is just too "Ooh touch screen friendly, make everything big!". I use a desktop PC without touch capabilities. I don't want huge buttons everywhere. Roll Eyes

i managed to actually watch a youtube video in Edge earlier, but it was still pretty glitchy. at least chrome works Tongue
Have you tried making sure your graphics drivers are up to date?
Gamer4Lyfe
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:00:58 AM »

I have upgraded two machines to Windows 10 at home.  Dell laptop updated flawlessly, my main PC killed the wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse but was easy to fix there, just pointed to a different driver and Windows took care of the rest.  My graphics driver (ATI) re-enabled EDID which for some reason restricted my monitor to resolutions that were not supported.  Once that was disabled I could manually set resolution maximum and all problems were resolved.

Overally the upgrade was painless.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 07:35:06 AM »

Dat invasion of privacy doe.

EDIT
I will be upgrading anyways. I have a year to grab it "free" right?

Also if someone can PM me deets I need to roll back from 8.1 to 8 briefly. Since I bought the download for 8 instead of a DVD I can't track down my info :-/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:37:16 AM by Izret101 » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »

Don't forget to grab that DLC that's Windows 8 only while you're at it.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 09:05:37 AM »

I like Windows 10, though I have not upgraded my gaming rig.  Probably won't either.

If you haven't done so already I would recommend tweaking all of the Windows privacy settings (press the "Windows" key and type, "Privacy").  Also, you can also turn off the Windows 10 "torrent" feature from within Windows Update:

Press the "Windows" key >>> type in "Windows Update" >>> click on "Advanced Windows update options" >>> click on "Choose how updates are delivered" >>> toggle the slider either on or off.

Note, if you happen to have other Windows 10 computers in your own network you can leave the feature on to share updates between those computers only.  Just change the radio button from "PCs  on my local network, and PCs on the Internet" to just "PCs on my local network" though keep in mind this will mean a lot more "Windows chatter" within your local network (in addition to the normal "Windows chatter").

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »

@izret you can disable all the privacy invading things during initial setup, there's a very fine print advanced settings button (might be worded differently). or you can turn them off later from control panel/settings app.

@bombatomba thanks for the tip about windows update, i didn't even know that was a feature yet. set mine to use it on local pcs only!
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »

I tried some Xbox One streaming last night. It seemed to work okay.

I'm not a fan of having mobile games aka Candy Crush Saga installed by default though.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 01:24:45 PM »

I tried some Xbox One streaming last night. It seemed to work okay.

I'm not a fan of having mobile games aka Candy Crush Saga installed by default though.

agreed that's a little dumb, but at least they can be removed.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length