RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December 2015 Run N' Gun Competition 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: December 2015 Run N' Gun Competition  (Read 62777 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: November 11, 2015, 01:30:42 PM »

**artwork by Emortal 982 from deviantart.com**

GAMES:
Contra
Rolling Thunder 2
Metal Slug 3

PARTICIPANTS:
Disposed Hero
douglie007
Father Jack
Fleach
GrayGhost81
MetalFRO
Project Nintendo
singlebanana
SirPsycho
wattswc

SCHEDULE:

Period 1 (Dec. 1st - 9th): Contra/Probotector (NES)
Game Specific Rules - NO 30 man code allowed, you may use continues, but please be aware that when you continue, your score resets to zero, but you are still allowed to post your high score no matter what part of the game you obtain it in. SEE CONTRA TIPS ON PAGE 5 OF THIS THREAD!!!

Period 2 (Dec. 10th - 18th): Rolling Thunder 2 (Genesis/Mega Drive)
Game Specific Rules - The game has unlimited continues, but like Contra, when you continue, your score resets to zero. You are allowed to post your high score no matter what part of the game you obtain it in.

Period 3 (Dec. 19th - 27th): Metal Slug 3 (XBox & several other anthologies/compilations)
Game Specific Rules - Unlike Contra and RT2, your score does not reset. Due to different ports of the game and as a result, various continue options, there will be a LIMIT OF 5 CONTINUES.  If you cannot change your setting and your game offers more continues, please stop playing after 5, and take a picture of your score. Honor system in effect.

Period 4 (Dec. 28th - 31st): BATTLE ROYALE!!!!! - Improve your standing on any of the games for 4 days only (must have posted a score for each game during its previous week).  ALL game specific rules still apply to each game during this period.

Enjoy!

GENERAL RULES: (**please also see Game Specific Rules above**)

As we did last December with the shmup competition, this year we will be holding another competition to see who is the Top Run n' Gunner on RF Generation.  This year, we will play only one title for 9 days, and at the end, there will be a 4 day Battle Royale in which participants can improve their scores (*see more details about this Battle Royale below).  Everyone will be required to post a photo of their best scores. You can post as many scores as you need to, if you better your score, but to avoid confusion, do not post lower scores than the highest one you already have posted for each game.  Scores will be accepted each period starting at midnight server time (not necessarily your time) for the beginning date listed for each game, and likewise, scores will be accepted until midnight server time for the end date of each game. Any scores submitted even within a fraction of a second past this end time WILL NOT be counted, so plan your playing and posting of scores accordingly. The participant with the highest point total for each game per week will earn 10 points, second place earns 9 points, and so on down to 5 points (everyone who participates each week will earn at least 5 points).

This process will continue for three 9 day periods listed above, and the last 4 days of the month will consist of a Battle Royale where participants will have the opportunity to improve their overall standing for each game played during the month. At the end of the month, each participant's score will be totaled and the participant with the highest score will be deemed RF Generation's Top Run n' Gunner and receive the ultimate prize. 

*NO SCORES WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR GAMES PLAYED OUT OF TURN UNTIL THE BATTLE ROYALE BEGINS ON 12/25. FOR EXAMPLE, YOU CAN ONLY SUBMIT CONTRA SCORES DURING THE FIRST 9 DAY PERIOD, ROLLING THUNDER 2 SCORES DURING THE SECOND 9 DAY PERIOD, AND SO ON. SCORES ACCUMULATED DURING THESE THREE 9 DAY PERIODS WILL GO TOWARD YOUR FINAL TOTAL, BUT OF COURSE, YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO IMPROVE YOUR SCORES DURING THE 4 DAYS OF THE BATTLE ROYALE. DURING THE BATTLE ROYAL, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO IMPROVE YOUR SCORES, WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO HAVE PLAYED THE GAMES ALREADY IN THE PREVIOUS WEEKS. NO "NEW" PARTICIPANTS SCORES WILL BE ALLOWED, ONLY IMPROVED SCORES FROM PRIOR WEEK PARTICIPANTS.

IN THE SPIRIT OF KEEPING THE CONTEST FAIR, WE ASK THAT YOU PLEASE PLAY ALL GAMES ON THEIR NORMAL SETTING OR WHATEVER SETTING THE GAME STARTS UP WITH, AND THAT YOU DO NOT USE ANY CODES (LIKE THE KONAMI CODE FOR CONTRA), GAME GENIES OR LIKE DEVICES, OR RAPID FIRE CONTROLLERS/DONGLES. IN ORDER TO INCREASE PARTICIPATION FOR THIS EVENT, EMULATORS ARE FINE. IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS ABOUT DEVICES OR OTHER AIDS YOU ARE CONSIDERING USING DURING THIS COMPETITION, PLEASE POST TO THE FORUM OR SEND US A PM AND WE WILL BE HAPPY TO PROVIDE A SOLUTION FOR YOU. THANKS.

PLEASE ABIDE BY THE HONOR SYSTEM WHEN POSTING SCORES. ALSO, DO NOT USE SAVE POINTS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE IF YOU ARE PLAYING ONE OF THE MODERN CONSOLE VERSIONS OR ON ANY CONSOLE WITH A SAVE FEATURE. COMPETITION HERE IS ENJOYABLE AND WE HAVE A VERY TRUSTWORTHY COMMUNITY, SO LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY. IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES, DO NOT POST THEM ON THE THREAD, SEND ONE OF THE HOSTS A DIRECT PM. THANK YOU.

**Contest rules subject to change or be added to prior to December 1st. If you have any suggestions for rules or restrictions, please contact singlebanana via PM. Photos of high scores are required and fun pics of you playing with a friend(s) are highly encouraged. Further questions concerning these rules should be directed to singlebanana, GrayGhost81, Fleach, or Disposed Hero.**

PRIZES:

A really sweet a%* trophy to display on your shelf, mantle, gameroom, or kitchen table will be awarded to the month's Top Run n' Gunner. The winner will also receive the title of: 2015 RFGen Top Run n' Gunner added to his/her forum avatar.

SCORES:

Contra (December 1st - 9th)

singlebanana - 3,976,600 (10 pts)
Disposed Hero - 836,300 (9 pts)
FatherJack - 148,600 (8 pts)
GrayGhost81 - 146,100 (7 pts)
MetalFRO - 117,400 (6 pts)
wattswc - 105,300 (5 pts)
Fleach - 103,700 (5 pts)
douglie007 - 49,400 (5 pts)

Rolling Thunder 2 (December 10th - 18th)

FatherJack - 376,350 (10 pts)
singlebanana - 312,090 (9 pts)
douglie007 - 271,200 (8 pts)
MetalFRO - 256,670 (7 pts)
Disposed Hero - 229,190 (6 pts)
wattswc - 40,720 (5 pts)
Fleach - 18,200 (5 pts)

Metal Slug 3 (December 19th - 27th)

FatherJack - 1,130,344 (10 pts)
Disposed Hero - 1,047,404 (9 pts)
singlebanana - 1,014,234 (8 pts)
MetalFRO - 894,914 (7 pts)
douglie007 - 704,023 (6 pts)
Fleach - 164,865 (5 pts)

Overall Point Standings:

FatherJack - 28 pts
singlebanana - 27 pts
Disposed Hero - 24 pts
MetalFRO - 20 pts
douglie007 - 19 pts
Fleach - 15 pts
wattswc - 10 pts
GrayGhost81 - 7 pts
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:40:59 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:57:37 PM »

I have Contra and Metal Slug 3. Sign me up!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »

I have Contra and Metal Slug 3. Sign me up!

Thanks SirPsycho! Grab RT2 and spread the word on social media. Let's get some participation for this event.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »

You know I'm in.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »

I'll have a go at all three.  slick
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure I can find Contra so I should be in on that.  The other 2 I don't have.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure I can find Contra so I should be in on that.  The other 2 I don't have.

The other two titles are relatively cheap. There is time.  You won't have a chance to win the trophy without playing all three, but even if you can join us to play a game or two for fun, that would be cool.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:40:58 AM by singlebanana » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »

Rules are up!

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »

Contra score isn't too difficult to max out. It takes a couple hours.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »

Contra score isn't too difficult to max out. It takes a couple hours.

Meh, I disagree. I'm a great Contra player and it's not easy to do.  The game gets more difficult as you progress and after you reach a certain score, you can't earn any more extra lives.

FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »

I'm going to play Metal slug 3 on MAME which gives me infinite credits. How many continues can I have if any or will it be when my first lot of lives are gone.

Good job I have the Olympic spirit, it's not the winning it's the taking part.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:18:04 AM by FatherJack » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »

I'm going to play Metal slug 3 on MAME which gives me infinite credits. How many continues can I have if any or will it be when my first lot of lives are gone.

Good question.  I haven't had a chance to play the game yet, but I will fire it up soon and let you know the typical number of lives and/or continues that the console port provides and we can figure it out from there. Smiley

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »

I have Contra on XBLA, which is a little different than the NES version (mainly controls and the lack of 1 or 2 levels). What say you?

note - I'm not really competing, I don't own the other 2 games.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »

I have Contra on XBLA, which is a little different than the NES version (mainly controls and the lack of 1 or 2 levels). What say you?

note - I'm not really competing, I don't own the other 2 games.

The exclusion of the levels is what concerns me and I wouldn't suggest this version for other members. However, if you're not competing, it doesn't matter.  Join in and have some fun with us.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »

I'm on ebay tonight and my only question is 'Where did all the Rolling Thunder 2 manuals go?'

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length