RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Episode #20 - RF Generation Playcast (Secret of Evermore & Gravity Rush) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Episode #20 - RF Generation Playcast (Secret of Evermore & Gravity Rush)  (Read 10001 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: December 04, 2015, 09:44:11 AM »

Coming tomorrow!  Hard to believe we've made 20 episodes. Well...............21, if you count our Episode #0 (Parasite Eve & Kingdom Hearts)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:41:04 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 08:45:40 AM »

Hey!  My first year of college was 95!  laugh

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »

Hey!  My first year of college was 95!  laugh

Yah! We're both old. Unless you're Doogie Howser of course.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »

I'm aware that I pronounce the word 'Mana' differently than most people when I'm talking about Secret of Mana.  This is why:

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »

I think the way you say it is correct. I said it like Man-a for so many years and it's hard to break that habit. You'll notice I say it wrong the first time, realized it, and said it the right way the rst of the show. Old habits...

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »

Man Banana, I totally agree with you on grinding.  Dragon Warrior you had to grind like crazy.  I don't mind it at all and I usually enjoy it.  I think with us being the same age, we were raised on it and it was expected.  I also think that the excitement of getting a new level and getting stronger and hoping to get a new spell made grinding a pleasant experience.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:17:11 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »

Yeah, when it's all you knew, it didn't seem bad at all. Besides, it was much quicker than scaring up a game of D&D.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 01:17:08 AM »

I say "man-uh" and I'm sticking with it Wink

I'm not opposed to grinding either, but then again, my genre preference leans towards towards RPGs. What I didn't quite like about Evermore was the alchemy system. I tend to hoard my items in RPGs so if this game used MP (or some variation of it) I'd have no issues at all. I've never been a fan of crafting or alchemy to begin with and only do it when it's absolutely required so this was a strike against Evermore in my books. Overall I did like the game and that's my only complaint.

But it's a gameplay mechanic choice and it isn't bad at all. I give them kudos for doing something different.... Just not my cup of tea.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »

I am sad to hear that there will no longer be 2 playthroughs a month.  That is all I will say.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:44:37 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:59:49 AM »

I am sad to here that there will no longer be 2 playthroughs a month.  That is all I will say.

Believe me, we are all sad about it too. The retro show has always felt like my baby and I hate to leave it behind; Shawn feels similar about the modern. However, the lack of participation we are receiving during the playthroughs, the work we have to put into it (sometimes having to finish two games a month, and early), and the fact that we really miss talking to each other far outweighs having the two shows. I know that Steven and Floyd often switch sides, but Shawn and I rarely get to be on the same podcast, which is unfortunate, since we have a good, and often sarcastic vibe with each other. I know that some of you may not like this change now, but I think that overall, you will be getting a higher quality product in terms of game participation and a more fun and in-depth podcast.  Stay tuned, because we have a nice surprise for listeners later this month, in addition to great year end podcast!

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 01:30:12 PM »

I am sad to here that there will no longer be 2 playthroughs a month.  That is all I will say.

Believe me, we are all sad about it too. The retro show has always felt like my baby and I hate to leave it behind; Shawn feels similar about the modern. However, the lack of participation we are receiving during the playthroughs, the work we have to put into it (sometimes having to finish two games a month, and early), and the fact that we really miss talking to each other far outweighs having the two shows. I know that Steven and Floyd often switch sides, but Shawn and I rarely get to be on the same podcast, which is unfortunate, since we have a good, and often sarcastic vibe with each other. I know that some of you may not like this change now, but I think that overall, you will be getting a higher quality product in terms of game participation and a more fun and in-depth podcast.  Stay tuned, because we have a nice surprise for listeners later this month, in addition to great year end podcast!

Personally, I'm not sure if this will up people playing but we shall see Smiley.  I get the amount of work you guys do and it's time consuming and why the choice was made.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:32:52 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »

I am sad to here that there will no longer be 2 playthroughs a month.  That is all I will say.

Believe me, we are all sad about it too. The retro show has always felt like my baby and I hate to leave it behind; Shawn feels similar about the modern. However, the lack of participation we are receiving during the playthroughs, the work we have to put into it (sometimes having to finish two games a month, and early), and the fact that we really miss talking to each other far outweighs having the two shows. I know that Steven and Floyd often switch sides, but Shawn and I rarely get to be on the same podcast, which is unfortunate, since we have a good, and often sarcastic vibe with each other. I know that some of you may not like this change now, but I think that overall, you will be getting a higher quality product in terms of game participation and a more fun and in-depth podcast.  Stay tuned, because we have a nice surprise for listeners later this month, in addition to great year end podcast!

Personally, I'm not sure if this will up people playing but we shall see Smiley.  I get the amount of work you guys do and it's time consuming and why the choice was made.

Our thought is that currently people usually have to choose one game or the other in terms of what they want to play (there are very few, if any people, besides the hosts who have played both in a month). This often leaves the other game neglected and there have been many occasions where a game isn't played at all, except for by the hosts (most current example being Secret of Evermore).  With only one option, participation won't be spread out among the games. Though we realize that this may cause some people not to play at all during a month, at least there will be 4 hosts and friends playing it together and as a result, we can put out a better product both on the site and in our Playcast. With 4 people playing a game, that's at least 2 more than we previously had, and that's a big bonus in keeping our spirits up and enjoying what we do more.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 04:36:04 PM »

switching to one game a month sounds like a great idea to me, of course there will be some quiet months but at least there won't be one group (usually the modern) feeling left out while the other side gets a lot of participation.

i imagine this would help a lot with the podcast too in terms of keeping to a reasonable length and for editing.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »

switching to one game a month sounds like a great idea to me, of course there will be some quiet months but at least there won't be one group (usually the modern) feeling left out while the other side gets a lot of participation.

i imagine this would help a lot with the podcast too in terms of keeping to a reasonable length and for editing.

+1

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »

Just listened to the playcast (retro). Good stuff. Very interesting about the High School kid and the music.

For the record, I pronounce it Mah-nah, as I think it sounds a little more exotic, but I doubt there is a correct way. Like Pecan.

Here's an interesting map of America displaying how different regions - mostly north east vs. south east vs. rest of the country - pronounce things differently (mana not included).

http://www.businessinside...ts-in-america-2013-6?op=1
#Massachusetts, Long Island and Jersey are the only places that see a difference between Merry, Mary and marry.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:40:50 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length