RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:24:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Remember When... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Remember When...  (Read 125390 times)
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2016, 09:35:30 PM »

Here's a notable thing that went away with the 1980s: generic boxed or canned groceries. No brand name or artwork on the label, just plain white or yellow with black block letters. Then the supermarkets got the bright idea to put their own brand on the products, and that was all she wrote for generics.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:37:44 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2016, 12:17:17 PM »

Walmart has started going back to that branding.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »

I'll just leave this here, and see what happens...

I pity the foo who buys my game!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »

Remember when Toys 'R Us had pieces of paper with a bar code on them, you would pay, and than pick up the game at there pick up place.  The game wasn't on the shelf, just a "copy" of the front and back of the box.  I tried to find a pic but I couldn't. Sad  Fond memories.

SMS set complete!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »

Remember when Toys 'R Us had pieces of paper with a bar code on them, you would pay, and than pick up the game at there pick up place.  The game wasn't on the shelf, just a "copy" of the front and back of the box.  I tried to find a pic but I couldn't. Sad  Fond memories.

Cue the very start of this documentary on the Commodore 64 from the late 1980s:

BTW the Redwood City Toys "R" Us is still there, and my favorite out of the ones in the Bay Area that I've visited. Even more than the haunted one in Sunnyvale, which was profiled on In Search Of, hosted by the late, great Mr. Spock himself.

It also got a segment on That's Incredible!:

The Redwood City store is a bit out of sight, however, and it's across the street from the Bay Area's only K-Mart. Hey, remember K-Mart and their blue light specials? And how you'd be goofed on by your fellow students for shopping there?

Huh, looks like they were still doing the blue light specials until recently.
FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2016, 07:30:11 AM »

Some Public Information films that scared me a kid

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2016, 10:17:59 PM »

I remember the kites-and-power-lines film from a segment on Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe. Or was it Screenwipe? ANYway, he was goofing on public safety films in his trademark acerbic & misanthropic style.

Hey, that reminds me: I'm off to YouTube to watch Charlie Brooker's 2016 Wipe...

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2017, 03:10:02 AM »

A wonderful memory of mine from the '90s: PBS airing episodes of what would become my favorite Brit-com, Are You Being Served?

Are you free, Mr. Humphries?

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2017, 07:24:37 AM »

Remember the card catalog in libraries?  I miss them things.  With the advances in technology, I wonder how many things the younger members of this forum don't remember that we do.

* library-card-catalogs.jpg (100.94 KB, 1000x732 - viewed 295 times.)

SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »

Remember the card catalog in libraries?  I miss them things.  With the advances in technology, I wonder how many things the younger members of this forum don't remember that we do.

I actually asked where the card catalog was the other day without thinking it wouldn't exist any more. Luckily I was asking an older staff so she knew was I was talking about and was fairly nice in directing me to the computer.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »

I actually asked where the card catalog was the other day without thinking it wouldn't exist any more. Luckily I was asking an older staff so she knew was I was talking about and was fairly nice in directing me to the computer.

Man, we are old.  And this sucks.

SMS set complete!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2017, 02:32:34 AM »

Howzabout looking up old magazine articles on microfilm and microfiche? I was doing that from grade school all the way through junior college...
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »

Howzabout looking up old magazine articles on microfilm and microfiche? I was doing that from grade school all the way through junior college...

I didn't have that in school but I do remember the public library having microfiche.

SMS set complete!
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2017, 03:02:38 AM »

By the time I was in school (1996) and I started learning the library system it was the computer way ran with Windows 95-98 systems. We did learn the Dewy Decimal System which is still used at least, which is what the cataloging programs also use.

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2017, 04:19:39 AM »

I actually do remember that! I got Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 in this manner. Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length