RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:49:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 39 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 39  (Read 11293 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: February 25, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »

Collectorcast Episode 39: X-Commies

Episode 39 discussion thread: http://www.rfgeneration.c...rum/index.php?topic=16389

Bil and Duke are joined by Canadian friends Pam and Will to chat all about the SEGA CD. From its launch to our favorite games, we'll dig in deep and come up with some gems. The question segment makes a return as we miss our Crabby, but maybe two Canadians are better than one?

Get the show at http://www.collectorcast.com
Follow the Collectorcast on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Collectorcast
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Collectorcast
On Stitcher (enter Promo Code RFGeneration): http://www.stitcher.com/RFGeneration
On iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/u...collectorcast/id524246060
On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/c/Collectorcast

Show Notes
Links
Our Sponsor - Off The Charts Video Games: http://www.otcvideogames.com/
Pam on Twitter: @Jasyla_
Pam's YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/ch...;ab_channel=CannotbeTamed
Will on Twitter: @wattswc

Music: SEGA CD BIOS, Lords of Thunder, Sonic CD (SEGA CD)
Q & A - 13:13
Topic - 53:56
Outro - 2:39:45
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:26:24 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »

Thanks for another episode!

Why isn't it titled "That 3DO money!" ?

Model 1 music  Smiley (Don't worry Bill I forgive you for choosing the wrong version)

@Duke : I'm planning to go to MGC next year.  This year is all about cleaning and organizing the game room.

I also had to go over to the rich kid's house to try out a Sega CD. I only had a chance to play Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective but I was amazed at the use of FMV.

I wouldn't own one myself until 2008 when I found a as-is Model 1 Genesis + Model 1 Sega CD for $15.

An overview of CD+G: (The karaoke standard)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

The 4-in-1 has some odd versions of the games. For example Golden Axe is 1 player only.

The 5-in-1 added Super Monaco GP to the mix.

See the Game Sack episode Compilations for more info:

My favorite Sega CD games:

1. Lunar Silver Star Story
2. Android Assault
3. Dungeon Explorer

I also recommend Hook and Rise of the Dragon.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:19:37 PM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »

Great episode again guys.  It was great to hear about a system I don't really know a lot about.  Nobody I knew had a Sega CD.  I still don't think I've played one.  My uncle had a Genesis and 32X but nobody ever had the CD.  It sounds like a neat system to try out. 
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:18:55 PM »

I'm about an hour in. Great stuff so far.

Thank you for taking my question, and thanks for the Playcast shoutout!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:33:06 PM »

@Addicted: Hopefully I'll get to meet you at MGC next year. I don't think I've ever played Android Assault.

Thanks for listening guys!

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »

I have yet to listen to this podcast but the Sega CD is one of my favorite systems.  It's in my top 5, possibly top 3 (everyone should know by now that the NES is my #1;)).  I would have LOVED to have been on this podcast.  This system seems to get no love but the FMV games were great.  Yes, some were cheesy but it was something that was never down before and the graphics were not that bad for the time.  I loved how some of them were puzzle/though provoking games.  Other games like the RPG's and Sonic CD were gems on this system.  Give it some love, peeps!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 08:27:45 AM »

@Addicted: Hopefully I'll get to meet you at MGC next year. I don't think I've ever played Android Assault.

Thanks for listening guys!

I am still probably not going this year (after going the last 5+ years), Duke, but the offer is still out there.  If you come out on Friday, I'll take the day off and show you some places around here.  I'm only 15-20 minutes from the Main Event.

SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00:26 PM »

Unfortunately it looks like I won't get a chance to make it out there this year. Hopefully things will be different next year.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 07:11:26 AM »

Unfortunately it looks like I won't get a chance to make it out there this year. Hopefully things will be different next year.

Didn't you just say in the podcast you were going? laugh  It's all good.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »

I have an hour left and this discussion is fantastic.  The Sega CD is one of my favorite systems.  When I was younger, I never had either Genesis or Sega CD units.  I didn't get both model Sega CD's and Genesis's until I got back into collecting back in 2003.  I did buy a CDX when I was highschool.  Like Will, said this thing took batteries so I would take it to school with me and listen to CD's on the bus.  Now that I think about it, that was pretty stupid, I'm lucky it didn't get stolen!  I think when it came out I was $400.  Seeing I never had either of the originals, my setup was using the 32x in the CDX.  And to no surprise to anyone who knows me on here, this system has been with me for 10 years.  I have recently been reunited with my beloved CDX as I brought all my gaming stuff home from my wife's parents.  I believe there is a 2-in1, 4-in1, and a 5-in-1 pack.  Mine came with the 4-in-1, Ecco, and Sonic CD. When I originally got this thing I had no component outputs on my TV so I had to hook it up to the Commodore 64 monitor to play this thing. laugh  It only had one speaker so I didn't get "full audio" but it was still amazing.  I recall the first time I played this thing and it was Sonic CD.  I was like, holy crap, they are singing on the opening scene!  That was an amazing feeling because nothing like this was ever done before.  As for what Bil mentioned, I don't have the manual with me (it's at my parents, surprise, surprise) but the system came with a spacer, but I can't recall if this was for the CDX or one of the Genesis models.  Is this what you are talking about?  As you said, some games are not compatible with the CDX.  From what I read it is hit or miss and as early as today I read it could be tied to the BIOS of the system.  Unfortunately, I know no way of changing the BIOS.  On my system I couldn't play Jurassic Park or Eye of the Beholder.  Jurassic Park would play but the load times are super slow and the graphics and sound are distorted.  Eye of the Beholder wouldn't boot or freeze at the main menu.  I ended up returning that one, which I am regretting now, as I got that on clearance, it's a great game, and I collect now and I don't want to pay the $40-$50 for it.  Man, I have so much to say but I guess I'll leave that for another post!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:44:46 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 06:50:24 PM »

When we recorded the show the plan was to go to MGC, but then other things came up.

It must be nice to still have a CDX from back in the day. I remember my friend having his and we used to play it quite a bit. At the time we both thought that it was pretty amazing that they could cram the entire system into such a small space. SEGA really did things right back then. CDX, Nomad, SEGA CD... they threw a lot of things that were great for the fans. It's just a shame that it wasn't more profitable for them.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 12:14:45 PM »

Another great episode guys. I listened the day it came out, but a little slow to comment. Will and Pam are great people and it was nice to hear their thoughts on the Sega CD. Slowly building this collection myself.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »

I never realized Robo Aleste was so valuable.  I ended up getting mine for free from my cousin who didn't want it any more with one caveat, no disc.  I only have the case and manual.  I still have a Night Trap 32x version and Sega CD ROM cart still NIB.  Never had the chance to open them when I bought them.  I love the FMV games, Dracula Unleashed, Sherlock Holmes, Double Switch, Night Trap, etc.  There was something about these games I loved.  I think it was, woah!  This is like a movie.  The best ones were the "puzzle or "thinking" games like Dracula and Sherlock Holmes.  Some other ones I enjoyed was Shining Force CD,  Brutal Paws of Fury, Secret of Monkey Island, Adventures of Willy Beamish, Rise of the Dragon, and the Working Design RPG's were awesome!  I also need to back up Bil here, Hook is a great platformer and Sewer Shark was a great game that I played to death.  Some of the lines from the commander guy when you would screw up were memorable.  Sadly, I never beat this game but I kept at it and enjoyed it immensely.  Like I said in an earlier post, this is easily in my top 5 systems, if not top 3.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:27:24 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 08:36:39 AM »

^^ I think Robo Aleste has shot up in recent years, as have most of the non-FMV Sega CD games that are worth a look.  I think I got mine 10 or 12 years ago, and I might have paid $10 or $15 for it.  Glad to have done so at the time, because even then, MUSHA was not cheap, and since this is technically a sequel or related game, I figured it would go up as well.

I quite liked this episode, and the inclusion of Pam and Will was fun.  Good discussion, and it was good having additional perspectives on the topic.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length