RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:41:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Thrift store finds 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Thrift store finds  (Read 26215 times)
Dennis Fleaman
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« on: March 09, 2016, 12:43:57 PM »

After a Facebook and Ebay finds forum page. It is time for a thrift store finds forum page.
Thrift store finds are a lot cooler anyways.
You can find games for € 1,- or cheaper. That way you also buy AND play games you would never buy at a gameshop.

Whats are your thoughts and best finds at the thrift store ?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 01:08:01 PM »

You can find games for € 1,- or cheaper.

For thrift stores I either:
A) Find sports games for $5+
B) Find worthwhile games for $10+
C) Find nothing, as the store sells the games in an online storefront instead

Thrifts stores have nothing in my area of the state. Nothing. Seems like Europe, from anecdotal evidence, hasn't run into this problem yet of all thrift stores selling video games online for higher profit margins.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »

Seems like Europe, from anecdotal evidence, hasn't run into this problem yet of all thrift stores selling video games online for higher profit margins.
I once saw a boxed Wii in a charity shop here. When we asked about it, they said they won't sell it because they're going to put it on eBay.
Some other charity shops do the same thing.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »

Yeah, but that's $30. I'm talking about $3 games. The only things that slip through are sports games that won't sell, and children's PC games.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:45 PM »

In the UK you at lucky to find any games in a charity shop. Theres sometimes some common ps2 games available.

But it's not just cus the charity shops are selling the stuff on eBay. There is also less games to go around anyway than from what I've seen is the case in the states
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »

Thrift store finds have been pretty dry for me too over the last few years. My last good find was a couple years ago in Earthbound, but since then I have noticed every game being priced at $6.99 across the board, with most of them being worthless titles; and if I do get lucky to find something mixed in with the $1.99 CDs instead of being put with the other games in the case, it is almost always a sports title or a game worth less than $10 anyway.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 06:15:34 PM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:40:48 PM by tactical_nuke » Logged
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 06:34:35 PM »

I don't do thrift stores. If I had, had to compete with the guys locally, I would be driven to homicide.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 06:40:19 PM »

Thrift stores around the jersey shore are just OK. You need to find which stores to avoid completely and frequent the ones that are decent on the regular if you want to find cool stuff. Some stores are worth going to even if the staff is keen on the game market because stuff still slips through. It's kind of nuanced; the store I go to the most looks up older games but not PS2 era stuff.

But when I go up to Pennsylvania to see my sis, damn are the thrift shops good. I can find awesome stuff at each one. I've found Nintendo Powers, a Genesis model 3, a Punch-Out beanie and generally more interesting stuff. The region you're in vastly makes a difference.

Sounds like we're competitors, as I live in the Jersey Shore area, too.  In my experience, flea markets are where it's at around here.  Thrift stores can provide great scores, but typically only once.  After that, repeated visits yield diminishing returns.  Thus, there's a few thrift stores I hit when convenient, but I don't go out of my way.  It's just not worth the time.

Dennis Fleaman
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »

I don't do thrift stores. If I had, had to compete with the guys locally, I would be driven to homicide.

LOL , Please explain  :-)
A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 06:01:22 AM »

North new jersey is a bloodbath of resellers . Young kids trying for the retail store prices and more.  But I tap the central and south nj scene when I'm home.   I don't hunt much of what people are after since I got all the nes snes n64 items I'm really after and I don't usually buy to flip .  A 5.00 smash on n64 sure I'll buy but a 35 or 40 priced one I probably would leave.  So I guess more people in y area on the boards to watch for.  Hmm maybe I smell a new youtube video on my channel if anyone here wants to hunt.. just sayin

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 01:36:52 AM »

thrift stores in my area used to be pretty decent but now we have 4 or 5 game stores in town for the past 3 or 4 years, and they tend to grab everything at the thrift stores, i almost never find anything worth grabbing. i'm heading out of town later this week for a day trip and plan on hitting up some thrift stores over there, hopefully i get lucky.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 07:29:49 AM »

Thrift stores are horrible here.  Goodwill, when they have anything, is usually all sports titles or so insanely priced it's not worth going in them any more.  Except for last week.  When I posted I got Windwaker for $2.  That happens so infrequent, though.  Maybe once every 6-9 months.  I have this big debate in my head that goes on, is it better none with the thrift stores so barren and high priced because of the internet, or was it better before the internet got popular and everyone donated there items to thrifts and everything was under $5.  On the one hand much cheaper and more to find in the wild, on the other everything expensive but you have the internet to locate non-local items and you makes some buddies on the forums.  I am torn.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »

Thrift stores are horrible here.  Goodwill, when they have anything, is usually all sports titles or so insanely priced it's not worth going in them any more.  Except for last week.  When I posted I got Windwaker for $2.  That happens so infrequent, though.  Maybe once every 6-9 months.  I have this big debate in my head that goes on, is it better none with the thrift stores so barren and high priced because of the internet, or was it better before the internet got popular and everyone donated there items to thrifts and everything was under $5.  On the one hand much cheaper and more to find in the wild, on the other everything expensive but you have the internet to locate non-local items and you makes some buddies on the forums.  I am torn.

i don't think it's even the internet's fault, because ebay was around for quite a few years before prices started skyrocketing. i think there's just been a general spike in interest surrounding all things "retro" and nostalgic over the past 5 or 10 years. top that off with video games becoming more accepted as a mainstream form of entertainment.
A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 01:06:49 AM »

Don't forget the kids who don't work or have job but capita zing on the market by buying everything up they can.  I want game crash to happen so they all get burned

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length