RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:03:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Games in the Dumpster 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Games in the Dumpster  (Read 9457 times)
Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »

This has made me so sad!  I went to the dump today taking my trash out.  When I threw a box of trash into the large dumpster, something caught my eye.  It was a Nintendo cartridge.  In a box of what looked like assorted electronics was a Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, a Fester's Quest, and one other game that was face down so I couldn't tell what it was.  Now this dumpster is one of the very large 9 feet tall and 25 feet long kinds.  There wasn't a lot of trash in there yet, so this stuff was at the bottom well out of reach.  The attendant also was very strict on their "Nothing is to be removed from the dump" policy.  Once its in the dumpster, it stays there.  It just made me so sad that people would throw out NES games like that.  Even common ones. 
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »

I have been pretty fortunate with finding abandoned games over the years, but the only stuff I have found that was actually thrown away in the garbage was a copy of Shaq-fu for the SNES. I agree, no matter how common or terrible a game may be, it doesn't deserve to be thrown away.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »

To be perfectly honest I would come back with a flashlight later on.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 07:14:57 PM »

I hate it when policy gets in the way of common sense.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 07:40:50 PM »

My trusty SNES was fished out of a trash pile (okay, it was sitting on some closed recycle bins, but still, it was with the trash) in college.  It had two controllers, power supply, rf adapter, and Super Mario All-Stars.  A pretty sweet score and a milestone in my retrogaming history.

Since then, I've been pretty successful rescuing games, boxes, etc from the trash and either adding them to my collection or putting them in the hands of those that will appreciate them.  Sometimes it amazes me that other collectors/gamers will be willing to take an NES and games down to the recyclers because they're so "common".  I'll give anything a chance to prove useful. 

Even shovelware GBA titles get saved.  I gather them up to put in the leave something/take something chests at MAGfest.  I'm pretty sure my copy of Tech Deck for the GBC ended up being auctioned off as a $3 mystery prize at the charity auction.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »

I found my copy of Einhander in a dumpster.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:54:37 AM »

I throw out a lot of disc based sports and childrens games through the store. There are too many of them!!!!!!!!!

PS - Your dumpster has an attendant???

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 04:08:53 AM »

Well the dumpster is at one of the county landfills.  I'm just outside city limits so we have to take our trash to the dump to get rid of it.  It's only about a half mile from my house so it's not far.  But yes there is an attendant there to make sure you're not throwing couches in the trash compactor and helping people with large objects, etc.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 05:21:20 AM »

Like our local (Foothills and Vanway) Transfer stations, Crabby.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »

I throw out a lot of disc based sports and childrens games through the store. There are too many of them!!!!!!!!!

Why not just throw them in super cheap lots on eBay or use them as filler in bundles?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »

Another popular option is use as a "coaster".

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »

Why not just throw them in super cheap lots on eBay or use them as filler in bundles?

or even a $1 bin? i don't think any game is impossible to sell, some just take more patience, there's always someone who wants a complete library for a certain system. never really one to support throwing out games just for the crime of being common.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »

or even a $1 bin? i don't think any game is impossible to sell, some just take more patience, there's always someone who wants a complete library for a certain system. never really one to support throwing out games just for the crime of being common.

Really.  There are some people out there that will pay $1 for anything, especially if it has a clearance sticker on it or something.  One of my local game stores does that.  It's how I picked up some of my loose PSP movies.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 07:49:54 AM »

We had bins where we tried to sell them for $.50 each and they wont move. We've gotten to the point where we flat out tell people trading them in that we can't pay them anything for those games and just end up tossing most of them. Doesn't seem worth the effort to package them up to ship even. I feel no remorse for all the old Maddens, NHLs and the like that I've destroyed!!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 08:52:57 AM »

I was just reminded of this:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...topic=388.msg4657#msg4657