RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:40:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Adding Cost of a game in collection 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Adding Cost of a game in collection  (Read 2376 times)
toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:18:29 AM »

Hi

I'm new here and i'm still discovering the tool to catalog my collection.

I don't found any field to add an entry for the purchased price of the game, this is important to me and i believe for many users.

Also it would be possible to add an rarity field information, for example basead on digitpress or other (retrocollect) ?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »

Thanks for the feedback toze3!   Grin

There is a place to add comments and I would add your purchase price there for purposes of tracking. Smiley

I think that rarity is one of those very subjective things to track. I know we could go off of stats from other sites, but not sure how we would go about determining "rarity" if we were to do it ourselves. I think a lot of sites just speculate, since I'm sure it's nearly impossible to determine how many copies of each game were manufactured. In essence, determining rarity for all of the items in our database would be exceeding difficult and time consuming (research), with completely subjective results.  Just my two cents, but others can weigh in.  

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »

We've had many members use the Comments field to track how much they purchased something for.

As for rarity, I can honestly say that most websites, digitpress included, have rarities completely wrong in many cases. It's a subjective thing, especially for systems that aren't heavily collected for, and digitpress's Non-US rarity database was mostly empty, last time I checked. While we could add it, we'd be missing it for a large chunk of our database, and it's not something we would be able to maintain.

I understand wanting to have it in a checklist for your collection tool, and if I were to implement one it would be from our friends at NintendoAge/SegaAge/AtariAge, but that's only 5% of our database...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:01:18 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 04:40:35 AM »

Thanks for the feedback toze3!   Grin

There is a place to add comments and I would add your purchase price there for purposes of tracking. Smiley

I think that rarity is one of those very subjective things to track. I know we could go off of stats from other sites, but not sure how we would go about determining "rarity" if we were to do it ourselves. I think a lot of sites just speculate, since I'm sure it's nearly impossible to determine how many copies of each game were manufactured. In essence, determining rarity for all of the items in our database would be exceeding difficult and time consuming (research), with completely subjective results.  Just my two cents, but others can weigh in. 

We've had many members use the Comments field to track how much they purchased something for.

As for rarity, I can honestly say that most websites, digitpress included, have rarities completely wrong in many cases. It's a subjective thing, especially for systems that aren't heavily collected for, and digitpress's Non-US rarity database was mostly empty, last time I checked. While we could add it, we'd be missing it for a large chunk of our database, and it's not something we would be able to maintain.

I understand wanting to have it in a checklist for your collection tool, and if I were to implement one it would be from our friends at NintendoAge/SegaAge/AtariAge, but that's only 5% of our database...

I understand and agree with the rarity, will be subjective and dificult to implement.

About the price cost, I know about comment line and possibility to put it there, but this is not usefull when i want to export to csv file because the comments will not apear. I really believe that a pivate game field for that will be great, and of course with possibility to export to a csv file.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »

Another issue would be that we would have to create a way to hide this field. I'm sure that many of our users wouldn't want people seeing  how much they actually paid for a game if their collection is set to public. 

While I think that this would be a neat feature, I'm not sure how many people would utilize it and if it would be worth the time and effort to create.  I'm not on the technical team for the site, so I'd rather one of the them weigh in.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »

There isn't a way to export your collection with comments? We can always add that...

toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »

There isn't a way to export your collection with comments? We can always add that...

If that is possible maybe my problem is solved, because the csv export the field separated by comma, and by this way i could insert much more usefull information on comment to the CSV (of course i have my comments private)

I could insert in comments ",[PRICE],[CONDITION],[RARITY],[other],..." and then my export will have all information i need separated by "," ehehe

So if that  will be possible (ability to export also comments) will be great for me and maybe for others
toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 10:17:56 AM »

Any plan/date to make this happen??
matt
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 01:04:07 PM »

I'm also interested in this addition, thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length