RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:35:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 40 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 40  (Read 26539 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: March 29, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »

Crabby is AWOL again, so we've brought in Shawn from the RFGPlayCast to lend a hand as we chat about PlayStation 2. We've got a great bunch of questions, and fantastic games to discuss.

Get the show at http://www.collectorcast.com
Follow the Collectorcast on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Collectorcast
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Collectorcast
On Stitcher (enter Promo Code RFGeneration): http://www.stitcher.com/RFGeneration
On iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/u...collectorcast/id524246060
On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/c/Collectorcast

Show Notes
Links
Our Sponsor - Off The Charts Video Games: http://www.otcvideogames.com/
Shawn Gray on Twitter: @MrShawnGray
RF Generation PlayCast on Twitter: @RFGPlayCast

Music: Gradius V (PlayStaton 2)
Q & A - 14:54
Topic - 1:24:25
Outro - 3:40:10
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:18:28 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »

Excited

(Whoops, this isn't the Word Association game?)

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:59:16 AM »

Looking forward to this!

I would like to hear more from those "Spare Canadians"

@Duke: The name of the game you were looking for is "The Witness"

http://store.steampowered.com/app/210970/

I'm sure we will see headlines of Man robbed while wearing VR headset, or man seriously injured while wearing VR headset soon....

If you want to know more about the Coleco Chameleon listen to:

http://www.retrogamingrou...16/roundup099_2016.03.php

@Duke & Bill@earthlink.net: Bloodstained Ritual of the Night:

https://www.kickstarter.c...ained-ritual-of-the-night

I didn't own a PS2 until GTA 3 came out and convinced me I should own one.

It is now 14 years, and over 200 games later I'm still playing it.

The install base was big enough that developers were trying all sorts of new ideas just to see what stuck.... Katamari Damacy, Mr Mosquito, A Dog's Life.

Raw Danger  Smiley

@Duke: The game you are thinking of is Pinball Arcade by Farsight Studios.

Apparently they produced Action 52 & Color a Dinosaur

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FarSight_Studios

http://www.farsightstudios.com/

Yakuza 2!   Cool

Yakuza 3 has a story recap if you're looking for a cheaper way to jump in to the series.

I'm with Duke on FF6. The music on the FF6 GBA port isn't as good.

I'll second the g-x2d11 controller.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:27:48 PM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »

PS2!! Smiley

Excited for this one.
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »

Great episode! You covered so many games I love. I'm planning on making a top 5 PS2 video soon and this episode has given me some food for thought. My first game on PS2 was ESPN NFL 2K4.

Did anyone mention Beyond Good and Evil or the Fatal Frames?

Love the mention of Shadow of Destiny. I just picked this up recently but haven't played it yet. It sounds really cool and I'll have to bump it up on my to-play list.

Re: that chest in FF12...hoo boy. That made me so mad. When I found out about that, 15 hours in, I quit immediately and never played again. Of course, I hadn't really been liking it anyway, so that was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sadly, you're all wrong... FFX-2 is the best Final Fantasy. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:02:06 PM by Pam » Logged
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »

nope, don't believe anyone mentioned Beyond Good and Evil or Fatal Frames.  I played few hours of Beyond Good and Evil and wasn't crazy about it.  As for Final Fantasy X-2...Let's just say that everyone is welcome to their own opinion Wink

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 05:46:50 PM »

@Duke: The name of the game you were looking for is "The Witness"

That's the one. Yeah, that much and no physical version? Nope.

@Duke & Bill@earthlink.net: Bloodstained Ritual of the Night:

I keep getting this all twisted up with Bloodborne in my mind. Too bloody much blood.

@Duke: The game you are thinking of is Pinball Arcade by Farsight Studios.

Apparently they produced Action 52 & Color a Dinosaur

I'll be looking forward to the next pinball game where "It takes 2" makes its debut. Seriously though, these guys really know how to do pinball right.

I'm with Duke on FF6. The music on the FF6 GBA port isn't as good.

Of course you are! Wise man...

Also, as to hearing more from those spare Canadians, perhaps we could invite them back at some time. Pam seems very busy making the podcast rounds, but maybe she'll get the gumption to do her own show at some point.

Did anyone mention Beyond Good and Evil or the Fatal Frames?

No - another oversight. I haven't played either of those either. There are a lot of gaps in my PS2 play history. I did forget to mention Ring of Red, but I'll probably be alone on that one.

Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 03:15:16 AM »

So salty that I missed this discussion Sad
Shawn did a great job representing actually good games though Wink Fire Emblem and Persona 3 shout outs did me proud!!! He seems to have the number 3 confused with 4 though as BOTH Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and Persona 4 are vastly superior to their 3rd version counterparts Wink

Shawn you and your wife should try Silent Hill Shattered Memories. I used to be in the 2 was the best camp until I played that one. So amazing!

Getting into the PS2 -
I don't remember making a big deal out of picking up my first PS2. I think I may have picked it up specifically to play Final Fantasy X after finishing up some of the FF games on the PS and then Kingdom Hearts shortly after finishing FFX so I probably got it early 2002. I remember picking up Kingdom Hearts from a Future Shop while on a road trip with some high school friends and just ignoring everything/one around me for the remainder of the trip while I read the manual/box and imagined the world I was going to get into. Was a very special game for me and definitely that moment where I really was excited and loved owning a PS2.

Top 10:

10. Devil May Cry - God of War fell flat with me too (Shawn representing again!). This was the action game that really pulled me in. Put so much time into trying to get the best rank of each area and one of the first 3D games I played with such a dark atmosphere that I really hadn't experienced yet. Had a big inpact on me. Such a shame that the sequels weren't quite as good.

9. Onimusha 1/2/3 - Another amazing Capcom experience. After playing a ton of Resident Evil 2 and 3 I was looking for something comparable on the PS2. Onimusha hooked me right away as a great substitute. While not quite a survival horror game it really filled that void for me anyway. Super amazing atmosphere and story. Very tense the whole way through. And unlike Devil May Cry they kept getting better. As unusual as the 3rd one is with having control of two different characters in two different settings/time periods/stories they made it work. Such a cool series and one I'd like to see return.

8. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - A very cool blend of strategy and humor. Most strategy games I've played were very intense story and character-wise. Big military endeavors with dark themes of loyalty and patriotism. Disgaea was such a departure from that idea that I was hooked right away. You play a prince of hell and are just trying to build your strength to become supreme ruler. The voice acting was hilarious and so comical. Prinny's and Laharl I just couldn't believe existed as characters. So inappropriate and non-sensical. I think this short video sums up my love for the game nicely:

7. Castlevania Lament of Innocence - Still one of my favorite Castlevania games in the entire series. The first thing that hooked me was the soundtrack. Amazing levels like the Anti-Soul Mystery Lab and its music pulled me in immediately. There are only a few games that have story twists that have stuck with me over the years. Like less than 5. And this is definitely one of them. At the time it was the earliest game in the series chronologically (havn't kept up to know if that still holds true), and they touch on the creation of the famous whip from the series, the vampire killer, which just blew my mind that they were even aloud to be as dark and sinister as they were in the forging of that weapon. I stand by that this is still the greatest 3D Castlevania game yet/ever.

6. Kingdom Hearts - Unlike Bil I find Kingdom Hearts II unplayable. Just can't do it. The first one holds a very special place in my library though. Besides the amazing amount of nostalgia that I was attacked with I got pulled into the story very early too. Such a perfect blend of the Square and Disney franchises that I loved. One of the earlier games I felt the need to 100%. Remember spending a ton of time building up so I could defeat a titan from Hercules and then Sephiroth from FFVII. My only dislike was the gummy ships, but I eventually realized I could finish the entire game without spending a second building a new ship so that kind of got rid of that complaint Smiley

5. Odin Sphere - Like Duke mentioned it can be very easy to get pulled into a world of mythology like he did with God of War. I had that experience getting pulled into the amazing world of Norse Mythology with Odin Sphere. I also hold this as the pinnacle of visual in a video game. The game is getting close to a decade old now and I've yet to see any other game look as good. The crafting and battle systems were intensely addictive too. You play a large overarcing story with several different characters such as a Valkyrie, a Rabbit Knight, a Fairy, a Demonic Knight and a Witch. Was so cool seeing how different each character and their stories were, but how they eventually all tied together.

4. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I&II - After playing a ton of Diablo and Diablo II I thought the genre was stuck solely on the PC. Blew my mind when a friend invited me over to play Dark Alliance for the first time. I immediately ran out and purcahsed both of them and played each to completion. And then again with a friend and a new character. And then again with the rest of the characters. And then again with the secret characters. And then again with my brother and my favorite character builds. It doesn't have quite the depth in terms of customization as Diablo, but that has never bothered me. It has an amazing D&D style story and each characters play so different that each run felt like a new game. One of the best co-op PS2 games I've ever come across

3. Xenosaga 1/2/3 - As much as I enjoyed a few other RPGs on the system I was still craving that "special" RPG series that really spoke to me. FFX was great, FFXI and XII fell flat with me. Kingdom Hearts was great, KHII stunk. Disgaea was amazing, D2 got much more complex in it's systems and started to lose me. Having played and loved Xenogears I was suprised I didn't know about the Xenosaga series until shortly after the 2nd one came out. My girlfriend at the time purchased the first game for me and it was exactly what I needed. It was one of those games that just pulled me in and I ended up being a pretty crappy friend for a bit basically ditching life for a week so I could keep playing. Most other RPGs I've played were very fantasy based. To find one that was Sci-Fi was just amazing to me. The characters were all amazing too. It didn't have that super lame/cheesy main character and the supporting case was super diverse from a battle ready android (KOS-MOS), to a Cyborg (Ziggy) sworn to protect a Realian (MOMO) to a childish looking gunslinger/director of a major intergalactic organization (Jr) to a mysterious spiritualist (Chaos) to a young Scientist (Shion) I found myself bouncing around with my team selection rather than just picking my favorite three as I do in most games. I kept having to experiment with teamates as I couldn't decide who to keep going with!

Fast forward to August 2006. I had just recently moved in with my wife to be and Xenosaga III was about to come out. I prepped her well in advance and basically said "There is this game coming out that I've pre ordered and I've book a few days off of work to play it. I'm gonna be spending a lot of time on it". She knew I was a big gamer and she didn't think too much of it. Big mistake. I got home and immediately put the game into my PS2 and dug in. Several hours later she apparently asked me to eat dinner with her and I declined (I have no memory of that). Then at 5am she came out of our bedroom and pleaded for me to come to bed and get a little rest since I had been playing for nearly 20 straight hours. I left the system on and came reluctantly went to bed.......only to wake up one hour later with no alarm set and continued to play again. I ended up finishing the game in about 42 hours of nearly straight playing other than that one hour of sleep and I assume a bathroom break or two. My wife was obviously relieved for it to be over and I spent then next couple days catching up on eating and sleeping and reflecting on the series. I've lost myself in games since then, but never quite to the same extent.

2. Guitar Hero/II/80s - It's like someone stole my dreams and developed a game based on them!! As a long time air/electric guitar player and lover of metal/hard rock I was immediately drawn to this game. I worked at a Roger's Video at the time and we hooked it up after work every day for weeks. I started getting better and better and by the time II came out I went from trying to beat the songs on Hard to trying to beat them on Expert. After that I had to 5 star each song. I spent endless nights during my graveyard shifts studying star power charts and uploading scores to scorehero.com comparing my scores against others online before I had ever heard of an online leaderboard. We argued about the best use of star power and the best spots to squeeze and extra 1-3 notes into a path in order to maximize scores once getting 100% just wasn't enough anymore. Spent weeks trying to 5 star songs like Jordon, Six, Hanger 18 and Free Bird.

The game started picking up steam in the general public and some contests started popping up around town. I competed in each and every one I was able to, always placing in the top 3. A couple short weeks ago a customer at my store was interested in buying a PS2 with a couple guitars and Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s and a few others. He was from out of town so asked if we could set everything up and test it with him so he could be confident that they worked before he left. We booted it up and started some No One Like You by the Scorpions. I selected Expert and he played Medium. After not playing in a couple years I was still able to nail the slightly tricky opening solo and we started to draw a little crowd in the store. It was so much fun to pick up those plastic guitars again that I've been craving it ever since.

1. SMT Persona 3&4 - After getting a little burnt out from long RPGs I had taken about a year off from playing them and just really struggled to get excited about one. I kept hearing good things about Persona 3 and the 4th one had just come out. Niether really peaked my interest though. Went to someones house to pick up some cheap PS2 games from a kijiji ad and picked up the 3rd one as well as a few other games one day. Brought them to work that night to test out. When I put Persona 3 into the system I didn't even get around to testing out the rest of the games. The intro alone hooked me and I ended up putting about 5 hours into it that night. The next night I got my work done asap so that I could sink as much time as possible into it once more. Just kept going back to it night after night. Typically when a game gets to the 30 hour mark I'm looking forward to it winding down and moving over to something new. That was definitely not the case with Persona 3. Every one of the characters was so fleshed out and they were all growing and changing with me. The humor and real life problems/situations were enthralling. The dungeon crawling parts where challenging and thoughtful. The social links were unique and added so much to the each of the game's social and RPG aspects. Spending time in the velvet room fusing personas into more powerful ones was surprisingly addictive. The story kept having interesting twists and kept me on my toes.

After finishing it around 75 hours I immediately started hunting for a copy of Persona 4. I was fortunate enough to find one withing a few short weeks of finishing 3 and started playing 4 the same day I picked it up. Even after putting in 75 hours into 3 I was so eager to spend another 70+ hours on 4. I had everything I loved about the 3rd one, but also had improved the battle mechanics, added entirely new characters, new story, new setting, and tons of new social links and places to visit and spend time. Characters like Yukiko, Kanji and Teddy really resonated with me.

Even after finishing both of them I was hungry for more and picked up Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Persona Q and Persona Dancing All Night as they came out. I thought initially that they would be simple place holders to tide me over until the next main series game came out, but they instead were ways to spend more time with these characters that I had grown to love.

Honorable Mentions:
Adventures of Cookies and Cream
Amplitude
Castle Shikigami 2
Dark Cloud 1&2
Final Fantasy X&X-2
Godhand
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
ICO/Shadow of the Colossus
Katamary Damacy
King of Fighters Orochi Saga
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mega Man Anniversary/X Collection
Neo Contra
Okami
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Resident Evil Outbreak
Shin Megami Tensei Nocture
Silent Hill 2&3
Star Wars Jedi Starfighter

Can't wait to play:
Haunting Ground
Blood Will Tell
.Hack
Gungrave
Rule of Rose
Wild Arms
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:20:33 AM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:57:44 AM »

Wow, Crabby.  Now I'm saltier that you missed the discussion, lots of interesting dialogue about a lot of great games here.  To Shawn's point on the show, it's amazing that you can have a completely different top 10 or 20 or 30 for the PS2 depending on who you talk to.  There are so many great games across so many genres that appeal to so many different types of gamers.  I feel like I didn't appreciate the PS2 when it was out, it's only years later that I can look back and see just how special it was.

I can't remember if we've ever talked about what makes KHII unplayable for you.  Story? Mechanics?  Would like to have that chat at some point.

There are a ton of games on your list that I haven't played but want to.

Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »

Wow, Crabby.  Now I'm saltier that you missed the discussion, lots of interesting dialogue about a lot of great games here.  To Shawn's point on the show, it's amazing that you can have a completely different top 10 or 20 or 30 for the PS2 depending on who you talk to.  There are so many great games across so many genres that appeal to so many different types of gamers.  I feel like I didn't appreciate the PS2 when it was out, it's only years later that I can look back and see just how special it was.

I can't remember if we've ever talked about what makes KHII unplayable for you.  Story? Mechanics?  Would like to have that chat at some point.

There are a ton of games on your list that I haven't played but want to.

They pooped all over Vivi (Pronounced Vivi, not Veevee!!!), and the opening few hours of KHII are just horrendously boring and childish. I've never been able to play long enough to actually get the game started.

I loved Prince of Persia Sands of time like you did Bil, but I don't like referring to it as a Trilogy with Two Thrones and Warrior Within. Those two went way heavier on the action, and were less awesome puzzle/platformer focussed which I felt was where all of the magic was in Sands. I can't stand the sequels.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 07:25:18 AM »

@Crabby: That's a great list of games! I'm glad someone mentioned the Onimusha series. Did you play Onimusha 4 aka Dawn of Dreams?

I would also recommend:

Shadow of Rome
Maximo Series
Gitaroo Man
Lifeline
Robot Alchemic Drive
The Nightmare of Druaga
Klanoa 2
Gladius
The Red Star
Breath of Fire V
The Ape Escape Series
PSI-Ops
The Suffering Series
Ghosthunter *** - I wonder how many people even know this title exists
Echo Night Beyond - from "From Software"
SkyGunner
Valkyrie Profile 2
Suikoden V

Imports:

Michigan Report from Hell
Glass Rose
Gregory Horror Show

If you see Blood Will Tell pick it up before it goes for more money than sense:

https://www.pricecharting...station-2/blood-will-tell
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:29:05 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 07:38:38 AM »

@Crabby: That's a great list of games! I'm glad someone mentioned the Onimusha series. Did you play Onimusha 4 aka Dawn of Dreams?

I would also recommend:

Shadow of Rome
Maximo Series
Gitaroo Man
Lifeline
Robot Alchemic Drive
The Nightmare of Druaga
Klanoa 2
Gladius
The Red Star
Breath of Fire V
The Ape Escape Series
PSI-Ops
The Suffering Series
Ghosthunter *** - I wonder how many people even know this title exists
Echo Night Beyond - from "From Software"
SkyGunner
Valkyrie Profile 2
Suikoden V

Imports:

Michigan Report from Hell
Glass Rose
Gregory Horror Show

If you see Blood Will Tell pick it up before it goes for more money than sense:

https://www.pricecharting...station-2/blood-will-tell

I just recently picked up Dawn of Dreams and Blade Warriors. Havn't come across them in my years of hunting and ended up picking them up not that long ago.

Picked up Ghosthunter not too long ago too and it does look interesting!

Skygunner is at the top of my wtb list. It's the last ATLUS game I need for the PS2!

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »

Finally, someone else who loves the Gambit system from Final Fantasy XII !  It's probably the best indirect party control system in a JRPG, and it's a shame Square Enix haven't developed it in subsequent games.  I'm also hoping for a HD Remaster for XII, as the Japanese exclusive International Zodiac Job System fixed some of the complaints I had with the original, and the optional(?) Zodiac job boards add an interesting alternative to make characters more distinct from each other.

EDIT:
@Shawn (Shaun? Sean?):  The Final Fantasy X HD remakes (PS3/PS4/PS Vita) are based on the International version, whereas the North American PS2 isn't, so by playing the Vita version you will get the extra uber bosses and a couple of other changes.  The downside is that it is that there are a few ways you can get screwed over, so it really depends on whether you are more interested zipping through the story or want to take down everything.

Also, digging the JRPG love.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:23:08 AM by Raidou » Logged
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »

Down with the digital, viva la Physical!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 01:58:18 PM »

I loved Prince of Persia Sands of time like you did Bil, but I don't like referring to it as a Trilogy with Two Thrones and Warrior Within. Those two went way heavier on the action, and were less awesome puzzle/platformer focussed which I felt was where all of the magic was in Sands. I can't stand the sequels.

To be fair, I never finished the sequels but I refer to it as a trilogy because Ubisoft does.  http://www.amazon.com/Pri...ogy-Version/dp/B001LKM0EW

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length