RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:30:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | PS3 game pickup questions/sanity check 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PS3 game pickup questions/sanity check  (Read 4463 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: April 15, 2016, 03:18:51 PM »

I am interested in eventually picking up a PlayStation 3 for some of the exclusives, though not for serious hardcore collecting.  However, due to a family vacation I will have to put it off until next spring.  But after looking online at the prices of games as well as availability, it kind of feels like PS3 games are in a sweet spot.  So, as I get a couple of bucks here and there (laundry money, really) I plan on picking up a few titles, so that I might actually get to play them in a year when I actually get the system.

So the question is, have any of you ever done anything like this before (getting the games well before the system)?  It seems like I should ask to test the games before I leave the store, but outside of that does anyone have any other pointers or criticisms?

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »

I have bought games, before I get systems, since the PS1. I bought Castelvania:SOTN 2 months, before my system. I don't usually give it a second thought, unless I am paying $100 and up, for a single game. I realize that for some, their budget is a bit more tight, and being out $20-$30 for a defective game could sting a lot.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »

I have 9 complete 32X games and still don't have the 32X.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »

i wouldn't be too worried about testing the games, PS3 uses blu-ray which is quite reliable, so as long as you don't see heavy scratches it should play fine.

i've also picked up games before getting a system, it's not unheard of. as you said PS3 (as well as Xbox 360 and Wii) are in the perfect sweet spot right now, grab as many of them as you can before prices go up again.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »

I think I feel better about this.  I read this while I was out and picked up Revengence from a Five Below and it didn't feel too weird.  Technically it violates the whole "exclusive to the platform" rule that I made for myself, but at least I don't already own it.

Thanks guys!

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 03:27:04 PM »

Never had a problem with PS3 discs so you should be good just like it's already mentioned no heavy scratches which I have rarely seen any with :-)

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »

I've bought at least half of my ps3 games second hand, and I have yet to have a problem with the discs themselves.  I would recommend modifying the exclusivity rule and check to see which cross-platform releases favour one console over another.

Oh, and yeah, I bought a copy of Persona 4 Golden well before I bought a Vita because it was really cheap.  No regrets.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »

Yep, I got a couple Jaguar games, never owned a Jaguar. And I concur with everything already said

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »

Game prices fluctuate MUCH more than hardware prices.
Always worth getting a game you are interested in if it is in your range.

Worst thing that happens is you never get the system and never play the game... I've done that quite a few times.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »

I've purchased many used PS3 games and I've only had issue with one game.

Brutal Legend. The game arrived in the mail with a crack. It takes a lot of effort to make a blu-ray unplayable.

As far as buying games for a system you don't own goes I think we all do it. I've purchased over 29 games for the 3DS and I don't own a system. For .50 each it's not a big deal.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »

I've purchased many used PS3 games and I've only had issue with one game.

Brutal Legend. The game arrived in the mail with a crack. It takes a lot of effort to make a blu-ray unplayable.

As far as buying games for a system you don't own goes I think we all do it. I've purchased over 29 games for the 3DS and I don't own a system. For .50 each it's not a big deal.

where do you find 50 cent 3DS games?
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 09:57:47 AM »

@techwizard:

The library a couple of towns over has a sale approximately each quarter.

They usually price their software at .50 to 1.00. This time all software was .50 each.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:00:01 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »

@techwizard:

The library a couple of towns over has a sale approximately each quarter.

They usually price their software at .50 to 1.00. This time all software was .50 each.

that's awesome, i've never seen any 3DS games at our library sales, only xbox and ps2 stuff, covered with library stickers and sometimes in generic cases.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length