RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:39:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Greatest Hits for library 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Greatest Hits for library  (Read 5517 times)
ovalfastlx
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: April 16, 2016, 10:24:39 PM »

So when collecting for a console's library, do you also collect the Greatest hits variations of the same game?

Thanks
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:13:42 PM »

I think my title says it all. Yes. Cheesy

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:38:01 PM »

I personally don't. I don't really want the same game for the same console twice. I'd have to really like the game in order to have multiples. At the very beginning when I started collecting, I was doing stuff like keeping multiples of NES games with different TM text on the label. That didn't last very long for a few reasons.
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 02:36:29 AM »

Nearly all of my collection is second-hand. I'll settle for the Greatest Hits re-release of a game I'm interested in, but will usually replace it with the original release when the opportunity arises.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:30:39 AM »

Nope. I am one those picky people, that turns their nose up at my Playstation games, having green on the spine or PS2 with red.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »

I only have a couple greatest hits because of a distinctive label variant or it has extra stuff in it.  But otherwise I don't like having greatest hits and I replace them. At this current time I am in search of star fox assault on game cube that isn't best seller of players choice.

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »

It matters not to me. Actually, in some cases I prefer the Greatest Hits version because it's vastly cheaper than the original release. And cheaper is better for me.

Have you played Atari today?

Sega does what Nintendon't.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - Smash T.V.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »

i'm in the same boat as GamerNick. If it has extra content and that extra content is only available in a greatest hits release, then i'll settle for that, but otherwise i turn up my nose at all greatest hits/platinum/player's choice versions.

One thing to keep in mind is that a greatest hits release usually came out at least a year after the launch date of the game, and could possibly have patches included on disc that were released in that year. In the future this could be very important for some games, as in the end all online services will get discontinued for older consoles, including the ability to download patches...unless you download them to a PC from a third party website and install them via a burned disc or USB drive. A greatest hits or Game of the Year release could save you that headache.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »

I collect anything and everything, within reason, so yes.  I've sometimes walked away from a Goodwill or pawn shop with the standard and "hits" version of the same game at the same time.  Case in point, I bought the first Blinkx game for Xbox, and the pawn shop I found it at had both the original release and Platinum Hits version, so I snagged both.  Goodwill had 3 copies of Ape Escape one time, 2 black label and one GH.  I already owned the original, but I picked up a copy to give to my brother, one for sale/trade, and the GH version for me, since I didn't have it yet.  I'll never understand "black label" snobbery.  In fact, some GH games are harder to find because their print run was so much lower than the original press, that they should technically be considered more rare and sought after.  Either way, I welcome all games.

monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »

I mean, I would rather they not be GH/PC/PH etc titles but that's mostly for more of a continuity look on the shelf. I will never not buy a game because it's the Platinum Hits version. All I care about is if it's complete.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »

Some games were ONLY released as GH, such as Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.
http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-02460-B

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »

I kept them alphabetized right with GH coming after the original.
I didn't go out of my way to get them but I certainly wasn't snobbish about having them or not having them.

All a matter of personal opinion.
Some of the GH/PC/PH games are actually more "valuable" than standard releases.

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 04:03:37 AM »

If you like being called a gamer and not just a game collector, it shouldn't matter if it is black label or greatest hits or even just a loose disc.  If the price is right, grab it.  Your gaming history and collection, whether random or sporadic, is yours to control.  Sure, you can upgrade later but isn't the chance to play the game better than how it looks on the shelf?

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 01:15:35 AM »

If you like being called it a gamer and not just a game collector, it shouldn't matter if it is black label or greatest hits or even just a loose disc.  If the price is right, grab it.  Your gaming history and collection, whether random or sporadic, is yours to control.  Sure, you can upgrade later but isn't the chance to play the game better than how it looks on the shelf?

It takes on average 10 hours to play a game. But I've got to look at that spine for the rest of my life!  Grin
engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 05:50:15 AM »

I prefer original release, but I'll take a greatest hits/players' choice if I can't find the original, some horrendous bug was fixed in the second release, or the pricing is right.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length