RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:02:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June 2016 Community Playthrough - Illusion of Gaia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: June 2016 Community Playthrough - Illusion of Gaia  (Read 29492 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2016, 07:50:56 AM »

Made it to checkpoint 2, I hope to be to check point 3 by the end of the day tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Playing on a Retron 5? Those colours look crisp!

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 07:51:42 AM »

Made it to checkpoint 2, I hope to be to check point 3 by the end of the day tomorrow

Playing on a Retron 5? Those colours look crisp!
That is with the Framemeister  Wink

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2016, 08:31:18 AM »

Reached checkpoint 3 last night. In the home stretch.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2016, 06:19:33 AM »

Game beaten.

Spoiler (hover to show)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »

Ha ha Raidou!  Yeah, took me a few tries to figure that out too. However, I really like that they use that mechanic in the final boss battle and would have liked to have seen it used more.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »

Looks like Fleach finished as well, so we are recording our podcast tonight.  Anything you guys would like to hear us talk about or any questions for the group?  We'll take the colorful and off-topic as well. Smiley

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »

A brief discourse on your SNES RPG experiences wouldn't go amiss- this game is a bit of an odd duck by those standards, being half action RPG half whatever-genre-Zelda-is with a more rigid progression.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 12:16:04 PM »

I would say that while the story (penned by Mariko Ohara & Moto Hagio)  went at a brisk pace, and didn't make a lot of sense there was a surprising amount of character development. As most on this playthough have commented the raft sequence in particular stands out.

I also liked the theme of morality and how it came in to play by forcing you perform some morally reprehensible acts such as outing a slave to a group of slavers for a red gem.

The soundtrack by Yasuhiro Kawasaki was great and even though I would get lost in a location I wouldn't grow tired of the music. (We'll call it Darm Tower syndrome)

The pacing of the game is great because you are constantly switching between characters so you never feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again.

I didn't like the item limitations and the inability to drop things such as letters as I found myself stuck between leaving a red orb or using up a herb to free up space. The ending can also be a pain if you haven't been conservative with your herbs.

I would agree with Hard Core Gaming 101 and call it one of the best Zelda clones on the SNES. Thanks for giving me a reason to pull this title down from my shelf.

It also reminds me that I should give another look at The Grandstream Saga as it's made by former Quintet developers...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:18:00 PM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »

I would say that while the story (penned by Mariko Ohara & Moto Hagio)  went at a brisk pace, and didn't make a lot of sense there was a surprising amount of character development. As most on this playthough have commented the raft sequence in particular stands out.

I also liked the theme of morality and how it came in to play by forcing you perform some morally reprehensible acts such as outing a slave to a group of slavers for a red gem.

The soundtrack by Yasuhiro Kawasaki was great and even though I would get lost in a location I wouldn't grow tired of the music. (We'll call it Darm Tower syndrome)

The pacing of the game is great because you are constantly switching between characters so you never feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again.

I didn't like the item limitations and the inability to drop things such as letters as I found myself stuck between leaving a red orb or using up a herb to free up space. The ending can also be a pain if you haven't been conservative with your herbs.

I would agree with Hard Core Gaming 101 and call it one of the best Zelda clones on the SNES. Thanks for giving me a reason to pull this title down from my shelf.

It also reminds me that I should give another look at The Grandstream Saga as it's made by former Quintet developers...

Great comments, we'll definitely talk about these things on the show! 

I probably should have mentioned earlier that you can actually 'use' the red jewels in your inventory to send them to the jeweler and free up some space.  Wink

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:32 PM »

Never had inventory issues. You know that you can use your red jewels and they automatically fly to the jeweler right?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »

Doh!  Knock on wood. Smiley

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »

I was looking up some information for this game, and found that there are only 12 herbs for the entire game. Madness!

I remember watching a video for Granstream Saga.  The character models had no eyes and it kinda wierded me out.  I started playing Terranigma straight after because it's meant to be the follow up to Illusion of Gaia (even though it really isn't). 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:12:32 PM by Raidou » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »

All of the Playcast hosts were all talking about playing Terranigma and doing a sidecast on it, since I believe we all own it.  Since it's not a NA release, we thought it might be a tough playthrough in terms of participation.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2016, 05:37:27 PM »

@Disposed Hero & Nanners: I did not know that... oh well...

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2016, 06:32:30 AM »

I am in the pyramid right now, hope to finish it really soon. Am I close to the end?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length