RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:26:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Found After All These Years 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Found After All These Years  (Read 6682 times)
FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« on: June 26, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »

Years ago the wife cleared all my C64 stuff including my magazines but not having a collectors head on it sadly didn't bother me too much. I'm a fan of the Commodore Format page on Facebook so have regretted losing all 61 issues of the magazine. Well finally looking in a box at the bottom of a wardrobe in the house as we're moving soon I came across this. Issue 11 is missing from the first 12 here and off course all the rest are as well but it's great to have the first issue.

* rsz_20160626_230754.jpg (214.04 KB, 747x1328 - viewed 299 times.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:52:03 PM by FatherJack » Logged
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:08:16 PM »

Very nice!  It's always nice re-discovering old magazines again.  Almost as nice as pouring over them repeatably whilst in the bathroom.

I noticed some of these can be read on Archive.org, so I think I'll have a browse.  Never knew UN Squadron and Star Control were released on the C64.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:29:07 AM »

Very cool man!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »

Don't you love that?  I was out on surgery recently and went to my mom and dad's to consolidate my box of video game stuff and found all this stuff I had forgotten I had.  It's great!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »

I don't recall there being an official C64 magazine stateside back in the day. However, there was a free local newsletter called Bay Area Computer Currents that featured BASIC programs for various platforms, including C64. They were usually simple home applications, or very primitive games, even for the time. Sadly, I never held on to any of the issues I pulled from the local strip mall's vending machine...  Cry
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:50:38 AM »

Sadly there really wasn't Zag :-( lots of books though!  C64 was more widely popular in Europe and the U.K.

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »

Sadly there really wasn't Zag :-( lots of books though!  C64 was more widely popular in Europe and the U.K.

Actually, I thought there was as I was going through stuff at my parents and found them.  It could have been an all encompassing magazine, though, and didn't just focus on C64.  I remember I would type in the programs in the magazine into the C64.

SMS set complete!
FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »

I found this magazine from the US which had all things Commodore. Ran for a a few years.

https://archive.org/detai...4-01_Ion_International_US

You can't read C64 magazines without checking out Zzap!. This was my first issue.

https://archive.org/strea...1989_Jan#page/n0/mode/2up
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:16:36 PM by FatherJack » Logged
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »

I believe RUN magazine was dedicated to the Commodore 64, and later the 128. I had several issues back in the day.

FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 02:07:12 AM »

Here is RUN magazine

https://archive.org/strea...1984_Jan#page/n0/mode/1up

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »

It wasn't Ahoy, I believe RUN was the magazine I had.

SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »

I did a lot of BASIC program entry from RUN, and earlier ENTER (a TI-99 dedicated mag). So many hours typing and debugging code. It taught me a lot about programming as a kid. I really wish there was something similar for kids these days.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »

I did a lot of BASIC program entry from RUN, and earlier ENTER (a TI-99 dedicated mag). So many hours typing and debugging code. It taught me a lot about programming as a kid. I really wish there was something similar for kids these days.

i've been seeing a lot of books about something called Scratch at the library i work at. Looks like it's a programming language designed to teach kids how to code, hopefully that takes off.
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 02:22:37 AM »

I found this magazine from the US which had all things Commodore. Ran for a a few years.

https://archive.org/detai...4-01_Ion_International_US

You can't read C64 magazines without checking out Zzap!. This was my first issue.

https://archive.org/strea...1989_Jan#page/n0/mode/2up

Wow totally forgot about that magazine I think I have a few stuffed away in my tote of C64 stuff.  Might have to do some more digging I have tons of C64 books and always on the lookout for more.  I would love to get into more C64 Cassettes from the UK there were tons one in particular I read about is Howard the Duck. 

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 03:18:09 AM »

I would love to get into more C64 Cassettes from the UK there were tons one in particular I read about is Howard the Duck. 
Hopefully you want that game as a collectors point of view and not for the actual game as it wasn't very good Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length